Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Op essentially making two points:

1) Too easy to level to 85
    2) Normal dungeons too easy.

For point one, I think you may be on to something. Compared to WotLK, people are levelling MUCH faster this time than I remember. The fastest leveler took 27 hours, this time 5. Hardcore raiders are taking 12-14 hours on pvp realms, for WotLK it took them several days. So, yes, something is a bit odd there since the impression we got from Blizzard is that it would take the same amount of time as it did to level from 70 to 80 and by now everyone knows how much of an insane grind that is. Of course, many more players have ICC-level gear compared to say Sunwell gear than last time.

For point two, this may be highly gear dependent. I do not think the normal dungeons were designed for people with anything at more more than ICC-10 gear. So, this can make a big difference since most people would have been seriously geared up relative to that level after essentially a year without new content and easy gear from badges + events and pvp.

At the end of the day, it is just levelling to get used to your new abilities, do new quests, explore a new world, fill some holes in basic gear and get a general feel of the dungeons. The real test, i.e. whether Blizzard have failed or not to make the game more interesting, will be from the heroic dungeons onwards. So, if you've already committed this far to Cata, I wouldn't be too disappointed or give up just yet. At least you know even with a 1-month subscription, you should easily ding and be ready for your first level 85 heroic if not raiding.

If for any reason that one month disappoints, then get the hell out since you basically know that despite an enormous 2-year+ effort by Blizzard for the new content and a massive push to get people excited about it, they still failed. It could only get worse from there. If you've committed, give them a month, its worth at least that much to feel it out - at least that's what I'd do if I still played.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-12-07 at 10:07 PM.

its the same amount of time it took WoTLK when it was release, when people think it will take 1 week they need to think the casual players (1-6 hours a day) not the people who do 12+ hours in one day. Don't blame blizzard if u see level 85 already, if blizzard made it 1 month hardcore rush play (12+ hours) it would take a casual play 3+ months to get to 85.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderBlunder View Post
    I kinda have to agree...they said the 5 additional levels would be equal to 10 levels. Last time i checked, it isn't.
    Last time you checked, huh? In TBC, the total XP from 60-70 was 13 times the XP required for 60-61. In WOTLK, the total XP from 70 to 80 was 11 times the XP required for 70-71. In Cataclysm, the total XP for 81-85 is 14 times the XP required for 80-81.

In other words, those five levels are more than equal to the 10 levels added in the two previous expansions.

I imagine it would be different if people had just dinged 80 Monday and started leveling to 85 today.

The people racing to the end are mostly doing so in AT LEAST ICC 25 level gear.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    Your avatar is awesome, but fails for only one reason... It's "MOAR" not "More." :P

OT:

No, people were not 80 yet on WotLK. It took at least a week for people to hit 80.
    Actually quite a few people were 80 in way less then a week. 2nd day for the first 80 on our server. Several European servers had theirs within 24 hours. Not as many as is getting to 85 but still quite a few.

I have had time to play for 1 1/2 hours total today due to work, but I am nearly 1/4 way through 80 to 81. That seems kinda fast to me. 70 to 71 didn't seem to be moving that quickly. But as someone pointed out, the content is flowing better so not so much running way from here to there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Last time you checked, huh? In TBC, the total XP from 60-70 was 13 times the XP required for 60-61. In WOTLK, the total XP from 70 to 80 was 11 times the XP required for 70-71. In Cataclysm, the total XP for 81-85 is 14 times the XP required for 80-81.

In other words, those five levels are more than equal to the 10 levels added in the two previous expansions.
    This does not say very much without knowing the ease of gaining XP. You can make the XP requirement almost infinite, but if you're getting ridiculous amount of XP per hour, you'll still level quicker than in previous expansions.

People hit 80 in a day on my realm, so it's not a surprise they hit 85 in a day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrena View Post
    People hit 80 in a day on my realm, so it's not a surprise they hit 85 in a day
    Extremely unlikely since the world first by Nymh was 27 hours....

Unless you mean after all the XP nerfs and heirlooms since then of course. If so, why would you expect anything less and you cannot make a comparison to level 85 in a brand new expansion.

RIP grinding for something more than an animal to ride, or other minor stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Omg dude vanilla was so awesome because I was awesome and other people weren't awesome and it made me happy to be special because it was so awesome and I was happy.
    Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

Each expansion had ppl lvl in just a couple of hours. It's a race to them. It's what they find fun. If you are a casual gamer it CAN take you a couple of days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    When you rent a DVD and fast forward so that it is over in a minute, and you didn't get to see the movie - is that really the fault of the filmmaker ?
    This.
    SEIRITH
    WORGEN DRUIDESS

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    Your avatar is awesome, but fails for only one reason... It's "MOAR" not "More." :P

OT:

No, people were not 80 yet on WotLK. It took at least a week for people to hit 80.
    Bullshit first day of WotLK I saw 80's. I got my DK from 55 to 80 in a week when they first came out. My paladin got to 80 in 2 days.

Deleted
    Well you all want that shortly leveling.There is a millions QQ treads about how slow is leveling so blizzard give to you 5 levels and now is too fast you ppl dint know what you need
    Anyway to level up to 85 is the really small part of the job who you need to do after that.Personally for me will take me 2 months till i get everything in order

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    This does not say very much without knowing the ease of gaining XP. You can make the XP requirement almost infinite, but if you're getting ridiculous amount of XP per hour, you'll still level quicker than in previous expansions.
    This is flawed.

You have to take into account the xp from mobs and quests, the difficulty of the quests, and the distance traveled for quests.

just because a bunch of people nerdrushed to the level cap doesn't mean it won't take a decent amount of time when not racing to the cap. people were level capped just as fast after the wotlk release, so i dont really see an issue.
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

I all but abandoned my main until my Goblin reaches Outland at the very least. I doubt it will take me very long to get from 80-85 though. Seeing has there are only 5 or so zones and each zone can be done pretty quickly. Looking back to Vanilla the reason it took people a long time to get to 60 was lack of interest and travel time. Now you have 5 zones and the means to get around those zones quickly. I never believed them then they said it would take a good amount of time to level.

Server first druid here ^^ it took around 16 hours. But I can say it takes forever to get from 84 to 85 since it requires over 9 million XP and you get ~60k per quest on average. And leveling isn't that easy actually. I died like 4-5 times from 80 to 85, but I was close to death much much more. Shadowmeld + Flightform is a real lifesaver and so is CC. In uldum I had trouble pulling 2 mobs at the same time and in twilight highlands I was close to death if I didn't use defensive cooldowns/CC.

But I prefer not to have to level for 2 weeks, all the fun stuff happens on the levelcap so I want to get there as soon as possible. 80-85 feels to me like a rather good standard. It's not super fast while you still have to work to get to 85.

I think by this time though Ensida already also had all the raid content down

They dont design the game for people who basicly take time off work to grind to 85. If you play in moderation, a few hours a night it takes some time to gain a lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Extremely unlikely since the world first by Nymh was 27 hours....

Unless you mean after all the XP nerfs and heirlooms since then of course. If so, why would you expect anything less and you cannot make a comparison to level 85 in a brand new expansion.
    Hum... Doubt that rly, i leveled 6 toons with 3 of them with no heirloom and none of these toons took more than 24 hours to go from 70-80. Your source is most likely wrong.