Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Racing sports of choice

So all my buddies all say nascar is a sport, hah! But seriously, if you could be paid to race any vehicle, formula to dirtbike, what would you choose?

Deleted
    Probably motocross or just some kind of biking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably either the LMP1 endurance Peugeots or the ALMS Corvettes.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Midgets!!! Seeing them turn sideways is so much fun

For starters, not that I like NASCAR, but to give it more credit than it deserves, they do have another half of their races that are road courses, same course they run in US Gran Tourismo, SCCA races...its just that they aren't really televised...I suppose if you get SPEED channel or something. And to top it off, most of your "famous" NASCAR drivers, don't run those races...they only turn left. Those road courses are what make the difference in the points race of the season. Guys you never heard of making the difference for their teammate to look great at Daytona or Charlotte.

Now as a dedicated gearhead I have my own desires for races;

#1 Dakar Rally - Motorcycle Class: Followed by the other two classes, this hands down the greatest race in the world. 5000+ miles in two weeks through stages in all possible conditions, and even more now that they don't just race in Africa anymore, they race all over the world now.

#2 Iditarod - 1150 mile dog-sled race through Alaska...enough said.

#3 Isle of Man TT - Just a long day of motorcycle racing....good stuff.

#4 Bonneville Salt Flats - Not exactly a race, but a challenge to run your ride and attempt to be the fastest thing on wheels.....
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post
    For starters, not that I like NASCAR, but to give it more credit than it deserves, they do have another half of their races that are road courses, same course they run in US Gran Tourismo, SCCA races...its just that they aren't really televised...I suppose if you get SPEED channel or something. And to top it off, most of your "famous" NASCAR drivers, don't run those races...they only turn left. Those road courses are what make the difference in the points race of the season. Guys you never heard of making the difference for their teammate to look great at Daytona or Charlotte.
    To be fair, it seems like NASCAR also has most of the stupid behaviors when it comes to racing. There were several incidents that made me wonder what the fuck those drivers are doing. (i.e. Kyle Busch giving an official the finger after a speeding penalty, and doing that on camera for the whole TV watching world to see) Yeah, watching those stupid moments is a joy at times too.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2010-12-08 at 09:17 PM.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Nascar nuff said

10+ Year Old Account
    Come to think of it, it seems to be that I watch racing mainly just for drivers to screw up and cause wrecks, or when they act stupidly as I mentioned before. (More examples including Castroneves complaining about getting a win taken away for "blocking", Red Bull's Webber and Vettel colliding and taking each other out in the F1 Turkey race this year...)

As for events, I mainly pay attention to road races and endurance ones, not too much of a NASCAR or an Indy fan.

Oh and Renault just got GGed when the Piquets won their case against the 2008 Singapore "Crashgate" incident.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2010-12-09 at 12:43 AM.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    To be fair, it seems like NASCAR also has most of the stupid behaviors when it comes to racing. There were several incidents that made me wonder what the fuck those drivers are doing. (i.e. Kyle Busch giving an official the finger after a speeding penalty, and doing that on camera for the whole TV watching world to see) Yeah, watching those stupid moments is a joy at times too.
    Kyle Bush is like red-headed step child of NASCAR, no one likes him at all. The whole field of racers would never do that. There are some moments where emotions get the best of the racers, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxtSVlBIy6E as an example, but for the most part it isn't that bad.

Everyone knows it's all about the wrecks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Samalas View Post

Haha, thats what i was thinking! Not sure if i would ever really want to race in NASCAR even if given the opportunity ^_^

Sportbike.
    MAL'GANIS HORDE!
    85 Troll ELE Shaman/81 Troll SRV Hunter

It makes me sick to think of the fact that at some point in my lifetime we will have an oil crisis (quickly followed up by another world war most likely) when we have an entire "sport" dedicated to actually wasting as much oil as possible.

I'd probably do some sort of offroad racing with those dune bugies. That looks like it could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrac View Post
    It makes me sick to think of the fact that at some point in my lifetime we will have an oil crisis (quickly followed up by another world war most likely) when we have an entire "sport" dedicated to actually wasting as much oil as possible.
    I can see your point, but the only reason there is a 'crisis' is because people make it one...if they chill out and adapt, its not such a big deal. I am sure there is plenty, no one just knows where it is. And there are plenty other forms of fuel that can be used...people are going to race anyway they can...

What's next complaints about skiing and the gravity 'crisis'?
    Or maybe lack of dogfood for the Iditarod...or no pooperscoopers, the combinations are endless.
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    F1, its an amazing sport, and i really enjoy watching it... I was really really young when i started watching and all due to one man, Ayrton Senna, amazing driver, in the days where cars had turbo, manual gear box and no traction control, F1's golden age.

Just check this Senna lap onboard in Monaco.... just MENTAL they had big cojones back them

Last edited by Bikni; 2010-12-10 at 03:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samalas View Post
    Kyle Bush is like red-headed step child of NASCAR, no one likes him at all. The whole field of racers would never do that. There are some moments where emotions get the best of the racers, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxtSVlBIy6E as an example, but for the most part it isn't that bad.

Well, to be fair, Kyle has the skills to succeed in NASCAR, he just needs to use his head better when it comes to his temper.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Le Mans. In one of the le mans vehicles. The most powerful class.

Nom nom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Le Mans. In one of the le mans vehicles. The most powerful class.

Nom nom.
    Let me guess, the LMP1 Audi?

ETA: The new Audi LMP1 car was featured, and they're going back to the closed-cockpit design. Gonna be exciting to see if that supposedly aerodynamics improvements will do or not.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2010-12-14 at 08:58 PM.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Nascar...Jimmie Johnson FTW

Motocross, Stefan Everts is a god in the mud and deep sand. 10x world champ proves he is and wil always be the best, even after his retirement.