When to re-apply inquisition?

As inquisition only lasts for 30 seconds you can only get to 3 HP a certain amount of times before it wears off, and each set of holy power can vary from 5 seconds after using it, to 15 seconds after using it.
    So when would be the most ideal time on it's 30 second timer to reapply inquisition instead of using templars verdict, as you may think you have enough time to get to 3 HP again after using it, but you lose some time when it's not up, and if you keep doing this it may severly reduce your overall damage.

I would like to get a nice discussion thread going about this, and maybe expand on this by incorporating some other factors.

Riddicule, Aman' Thul.

Deleted
    Are you sure it's 30 seconds... isn't there a talent to increase it's duration by a lot ?:/

yeh, from 10 seconds for all 3 HP to 30 seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious about how much actual damage it adds to our DPS, considering our Holy damage shot through the floor with Cataclysm.

That being said, I'd say refresh it as close to it ticking off as possible. A TV is probably going to be worth more damage than three or four seconds lost on Inquisition.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    I'm curious about how much actual damage it adds to our DPS, considering our Holy damage shot through the floor with Cataclysm.

That being said, I'd say refresh it as close to it ticking off as possible. A TV is probably going to be worth more damage than three or four seconds lost on Inquisition.
    I dont think it would add much dps, as it's probably an addition to the game to complicate the paladin a bit more, but to also make up for the lost holy damage.

Im not sure how much Tv hits at 85 yet as im not there yet, but if the scale percent is about the same as where i am now, if you use TV instead of inq when it's at about 3-5 seconds until it's gone, the TV might hit hard enough to make up for the gap of not having inq up. Or it might not and inq would best be used if you get 3 HP under 6-8 seconds of it going.

Looks like ill be hitting the dummys for a while when im 85

Im not sure if you all have seen the amount of mastery on items now, but Inquisition may be procced off our mastery, with that amount of mastery and a much higher chance of procs, i have already noticed while leveling that its not that hard to keep up. SImply reapply when possible, kind of like keep a dot up on a mob. simply reapply as it about to wear off.

As long as you don't cast an exorcism while it's not on i don't think it's that much of a loss
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Altimatum View Post
    Im not sure if you all have seen the amount of mastery on items now, but Inquisition may be procced off our mastery, with that amount of mastery and a much higher chance of procs, i have already noticed while leveling that its not that hard to keep up. SImply reapply when possible, kind of like keep a dot up on a mob. simply reapply as it about to wear off.
    However you should be avoiding that mastery gear whenever you can, there are plenty of hit/haste, expertise/haste, or hit/crit, expertse/crit items to choose from while leveling.

Inquisition is a solid DPS increase over just using TV, but not too solid. I'd use a 20 second of uninterrupted DPS rule-of-thumb for casting it, and you always want to refresh it at 3 HoPo rather than at 1 or 2. It's better to let it fall off for a few seconds than to cast it at lower HoPo. EJ had the math on it a while back, but I'm too lazy to look it up again.

Oh, I know this isn't exactly related but for PvP Inquisition has some damn good use for burst. Get an AoW proc, 1HP inquisition to Exo and go from there. Does quite a bit of burst damage.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2010-12-08 at 05:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post

If I remember correctly it was a 2-3% dps increase when you are able to sustain dps on a target. Idk if its changed and I am pretty sure those numbers were from when beta was live.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundeffects View Post
    If I remember correctly it was a 2-3% dps increase when you are able to sustain dps on a target. Idk if its changed and I am pretty sure those numbers were from when beta was live.
    Last I checked with Beta testers, it was about a 3-500DPS increase on target dummies but also something which dragged a lot of fun out of the spec by slowing down the system every 30s or so.

Things may be better now.

EJL

I just don't understand why Inquisition is even counted as a Retribution skill. It doesn't increase the damage of retribution's two main buttons, crusader strike and templar's verdict. It sure would feel like a more useful ret skill if it made at the very least your big 3 combo point TV hit a bit harder....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nznova View Post
    I just don't understand why Inquisition is even counted as a Retribution skill. It doesn't increase the damage of retribution's two main buttons, crusader strike and templar's verdict. It sure would feel like a more useful ret skill if it made at the very least your big 3 combo point TV hit a bit harder....
    That seems to be the majority of the issue. Despite the complexity that was added to the spec in Cataclysm, it's still boring. Each ability sits in it's own little box and does it's own little job, but they rarely work together and help each other.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by nznova View Post
    wouldn't the third button used by excorcism and then other key ret dps abilities be augmenting melee autoattacks with additional holy dmg? I'm not sure I agree that it's out of place as a ret ability.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mentioned this in the prot thread, but I believe inquisitions duration seems too short, though a bit better for ret.

However, the main point has been said already, and it's the fact that Ret does so little holy dmg.

Why not make CS similar to HotR, dealing part holy dmg. In fact, DS should be this way too since they share CDs now.

It would bring back some of what makes a paladin different from a warrior, and make inquisition more useful.

Anything that brings holy dmg back for paladins is a plus in my book, and that makes inquisition that much more of a fun tool to use.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    wouldn't the third button used by excorcism and then other key ret dps abilities be augmenting melee autoattacks with additional holy dmg? I'm not sure I agree that it's out of place as a ret ability.
    It's going to grant you additional holy damage on your exorcism and seals, but is that going to outweigh what you would have got by just using TV instead? Depends how many random AoW procs you get I suppose, which is something you cannot know when you're deciding whether to cast Inquisition or TV.

Combo point finishers that provide mostly passive damage increases just are not interesting skills to use. Savage Roar was like Inquisition but better - you get that rolling and start pulling off some massive numbers on your main attacks. Now they changed that to work on auto attacks only as well... bleh, boring. Inquisition... unless you get a streak of AoW procs, the coolness just isn't there.
    Last edited by nznova; 2010-12-08 at 09:16 PM.

The lack of holy damage and seals seeming to just be bleed effects have really killed ret for me. I am much happier playing an arms warrior these days. I almost miss the old chance on hit seal of command.

I would imagine this skill could be fun for a holy pally though.