Thread: Virus via WoW?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    try looking in c:\users\*account name*\AppData\local, good chance you have an exe made up of random letters/numbers, but really any exe there you can consider suspect. Take its name, delete it, then search your registry(start, run, regedit) for the name of it and delete all references to it(normally two).

You can also likely deal with it outside of safemode. When you first log in load up task manager(ctrl + shift +esc), if your quick that will load up before the virus. If you dont get it in time just log out and repeat. If you do get task manager right click on the rogue application and select go to process. From here you have the name of the exe and you can kill the process too.

That will work for 90% of the fake anti-virus things. But really only need to do that if you cant get malware bytes running.

edit: that is assuming vista or 7, some steps will be slightly different in xp. mostly the location of your documents
    Last edited by Stormtov; 2010-12-08 at 10:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds coincidental to me. Its not possible for that to happen due to a video game. Download Microsoft Security Essential and/or Kaspersky, I've found them to be amazing combo. I've had then each find things the other has missed.

The virus checker virus can be removed in either 2 ways (at least this is how i did it)
    My one didn't let me run any programs once it started up, to fix that I restarted my computer at the time it was really slow, I then identified the process name and terminated it while i could do so then I deleted the file of my hdd and ran a virus scan to ensure its deletion

option 2 is to entirely format and wipe everything

Reminds me of the time my mom called me and said "Anti virus 2009 wants my credit card information...but I already have AVG"

Deleted
    Much stress young man? It came so randomly so that you made of storry of it, dont stress youself instead of it cleanup your pc http://forums.techguy.org/

Just get rid of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ugress View Post
    I get an "hard drive error" when I try to open cmd...as I've said, seems like a smart virus -.-...
    I was reading through this thread and was praying that I wouldn't read this sentence (and some others)

The exact same problem happened to my sister's laptop, something random got downloaded by itself, gave her a crash on the system and like a gazillion hard drive errors, spent the whole day and a good portion of the night trying just to open My Computer without the thing freezing up

Most of her files and desktop icons got scrapped and driver space was disappearing too quickly, system restore didn't help either nor did anything else.
    She got rid of it by re-downloading windows, which kinda helped save some of her files and got that error taken care of

I hope you wont have to do that, and that it would get fixed with minimum problems :<

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enshroud View Post
    It is impossible to for anything to get onto your computer via wow, other than wow related files. You cannot get spyware,malware,keyloggers,or viruses.

its not impossible...its just very very very very very unlikely.

someone could hack into wow's servers and make it upload what every they want it, would just be hard.
    im trap in this bullshit this routine of life. they build us all up just to tear us all down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit
    "its like my tongue on LSD"

You can get this virus from guilds, what it does is hack your cpu, logs onto your mainframe and kills agent smith.

You need to upgrade your agent program.

i got some antivirus software that will help, its called the one. Seems a strange name i know but i hear it works wonders. Can occasionally cause your computer to run very slow for about 10 seconds every so often though, that's perfectly normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    a lot of great suggestions on here. malwarebytes will help out a lot. if you are having issues with the hard drive errors that are popping up i'd try running rkill. it kills processes of known malicious programs. stay away from combofix if you don't know much about computers. when i remove viruses from people's computers i usually run super antispyware after malwarebytes and it picks up what malwarebytes missed. if you can't figure out how to get rid of it just back up your files if you have anything important and reinstall windows

good luck