Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Healers in Dungeons 80+

Pretty sure there must be some post on this, since i couldnt find them thought of making a new one. I play a holy pally in instances and ret in normal questing. Story so far, as soon as i hit 83 healing took a plunge, oom'ing like crazy with inc party damage. I know this is a gear issue atm, but it did shake me enough. How are the other healers holding out, resto dudu's / shammy's or disc / holy pweists.

It's bad. All that talk of damage being less bursty and stuff is....meh

lvled mostly in as holy. sounds like people need to CC more, as i've not had any problems so far with ooming until some heroic boss fights

Deleted
    It's getting better with gear, and you need to learn how to heal once again. Been running with my guildes and we have downed 3 hcs now, it took us some time but really fun now with new CC in hcs. All hcs is hard untill you get better gear, but as soon as everybody now exactly what to do it quite easy. Tho for the average wow player it will be hard, queing randoms will not be easy. Whine inc I would say and blizzard will probably nerf hcs soon.

Btw im a holy priest. lightwell <3

I honestly haven't had alot of issues yet. Ofcourse the use of CC is needed (at least 1 mob per pack, on average).

I suggest managing your mana, spam holy light on the tank instead of using divine light, don't ever use flash of light, use LoD on as many ppl as possible to single target heal the tank, spam judge on cd.

Those are my hints. Also, spirit > all.

Good luck

Edit: what they ment by "less burst etc" is that it's not a disaster that ppl aren't maxxed out, since the burst damage is lower. It's actually impossible to keep ppl maxxed out, you gotta pick your targets. Now players get worn down due to the overal dmg, they don't die in 0.2 seconds. There is still burst damage on some encounters, but you got cooldowns for those.
    Last edited by pokiemokie; 2010-12-09 at 05:06 AM.

I've been in some rough groups so far. It all boils down to problems that are easily remedied though so far. Have had a healer that only used their expensive heals, have had DPS that stand in bad stuff, and DPS that forgot they have CC.

Also, I agree with the poster above, it doesn't seem like Blizzard changed a thing on incoming damage, still seems bursty and AoE damage flies around on some of the fights like crazy killing healer mana.

I am switching between Disc and Holy as Priest, so far the biggest problems come from stupid DPS who keep standing in crap, not interrupting, not focus fireing on mobs and using their AoE the second the tank pulls.
    So in PuGs it's usually a disaster and I have to drink after every major pull and incoming damage is all over the place, haven't had too many guild runs yet as I can only play at odd times during the week.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

Up until now i made guild runs (which of cause were cool)

and a few Pugs and all the pug players have been pretty good so far....
    i usually have no troubles healing people

BUT i have to say
    2nd boss, the dragon with all the cyclones and windchanges is a fucking bitch to heal
    idk i have tried it with guildies 10 whipes
    then they got the one of our pallies
    first try <_<

i was so pissed after that
    rest of the bosses are ok but that one is fucking ridiculous...

also heavy AOE dmg is hard to heal unless everyone is in range of healing rain (awesome with so many bosses)
    i make my groups run together when bosses drop heavy unavoidable AOE and drop healing rain on all of them and we are good.
    if that isn't possible i am either oom in 10 seconds or someone gets raped

and on guild run we were dk tank hunter lock mage shaman
    cc'ed the shit out of mobs. Usually only one was free at a time
    made healing so easy that earth shield was enough on tank + bloodshield mastery
    was nuking with lightning bolts most of the time in hero with guild run
    Last edited by Shylah; 2010-12-09 at 05:32 AM.

Deleted
    I'm also a holy paly, done 7 of the 9 heroic dungeons so far and haven't had any problems in particular - although they are fun and challenging. Mana conservation is the most important aspect of healing at the moment - yes, the bigger heals will be costing you 10% of your mana bar, so only using them when its necessary is important, and you can't afford to overheal. Imo this isn't anything to complain about - it will make the healing game more fun and engaging, it just takes some getting used to. Indeed, you can't heal as though you're playing wotlk - this system calls for a radical change in playstyle to a more conservative method, prioritising cheaper spells and in particular word of glories whenever you can get away with it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shaman heal here.
    Mana is really an issue, but it's fun.

The main drawback, is that sometimes, depending on regen procs a fight will be really easy or nearly unbeatable.
    But all in all, it's fun to heal again

10+ Year Old Account
    Conserving mana and using all of the spells in your arsenal at the right time, trying to not overheal - it all sums up to being a very fun experience after just spamming one button in WotLK. I'm playing resto druid as my main, done all of the normals in Cata with my guild, we wiped couple of times on bosses we didn't bother to read strategy on or on bad trash pulls, but otherwise we were fine.
    Aerie-Peak-EU

Deleted
    Spell cost ramp up has really been a pain. I haven't gone oom on anything yet but in the most strenuous ninja pull i had 1/4 mana left. Good stuff so far, just some giants do crazy aoe and if everyone is not almost topped off before-hand they ll probably die. People seem to be taking minor dmg for no aparent reason at times, i ll have to read up on the dungeons out of curiocity

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I have the complete opposite experience. My holy pally is pretty geared, Ilvl308... I have no trouble ooming.

The best way to survive as a holy pally atm is as follow: Holy light everything other than your tank while in combat, once you proc 2x holy shocks spam your tank with them, this will allow you to cast light of dawn on your party (which is pretty awesome in dungeons atm, im only 83 so havnt had a chance to test more) and when illuminated healing proc's be intelligent and decide whether or not you should cast holy light or divine light. if your lvl 83, use your AoE, it costs close to 5k mana to use, but its worth it.

Im finding that im a more efficient healer at lvl 83 than I was at lvl 80... its all about being smart and spamming isnt how to play, if you cant heal without spamming and clicking your healbot/VuHDo with the same spells, I suggest picking up a different tree, because you will not enjoy it at 85, when shit gets tough.

Deleted
    How can people run heroics already? They aren't available until 85 and requires a great deal better gear than most people have at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    How can people run heroics already? They aren't available until 85 and requires a great deal better gear than most people have at this point.
    Lots 85 now and Grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    You're wrong. They require a mix of ilvl 316, 333 and 346 items from quests, normal dungeons and justice points among other things. People can run heroics already by having done quite a bit of questing, gotten some drops from normals and bought 2-3 pieces of 346 gear with justice points.

Simple.

Deleted
    Well; if you'd done some healing on low level content in 4.0.3a, you would have expected the ooming; anticipated it. At least; that's my take on it. I've healed low level content before 7/12, so that prepared me for the mana drops. And yes; they are quite severe, but manageable.
    As others have already said: CC is mandatory. As is watching your overheal, and using all the spells you can.
    It will get easier with gear, of course, as is always the case.

Deleted
    I play as restoration druid at the moment..
    and I find it challenging at best.. alright. its tough as hell.. but quite fun tbh.
    I am pretty much oom after each fight and on boss fights I innervate and use mana pots and innervate again when is up
    did Vortex Pinnacle last night and I must say.. when the 3 dps die on the first bid on the last boss there it is tough.
    I eventually ressed the Death Knight.. prolly should of taken the other druid so he could ress another one..
    but I thought damage would be good and the DK did the highest DPS so.. easy pickings xD..
    I held me, the tank and the DK alive with about 3-5k mana nearly all fight through. the boss was at about 90% when I ressed the DK..
    so yea.. were ooming alot faster now compared to easymode wrath where you could spam ALL your healing spells and still have full mana.

I love it.. thank you blizzard.. yer not so broken snow anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    As for my experience in lvl85 normal dungeons (I don't have enough gear to go heroics), healing is fun and interesting.
    What I've noticed is that if people know how to avoid damage as much as possible, it's going quite smooth, not too hard, not too easy, just right. If they don't know and there is no CC, that's when deaths start to roll in.