Thread: Survival?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Survival?

Hey!

Atm im rolling survival and tbh it does sweet dmg, but my question is what stats is the most importantant? What will i reforge 2?

Regards

10+ Year Old Account
    Agi is your focus.

for reforge
    hit>haste>crit>mastery...

Agility is every hunters primary stat but if you are looking for a secondary stat to reforge, well... it depends on our playstyle actually. If you go for crit you will hit harder sometimes but if you go for haste you will hit faster. It's your call.

p.s: i personally never cared about hit until dinging lvl80 since lvling with an hunter is easy and missing an attack didint hurt me that much

Deleted
    At max lvl agi is your most important stat.
    Personaly i went to reforge hit first till i was capped.
    And after that i went for Mastery.
    I like Mastery a LOT.
    But crit is good aswell.
    Not a fan of haste though

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally it will be like @ 80 AGI >all Hit till capped >Mastery> Crit/ Haste(haste until @least softcap)
    Retired

The reason we don't want to reforge mastery right now is because of how poorly it scales. Currently at 978 Mastery I only get 13.46% increased damage, thats only 5.46% in addition to the 8% base. Haste is better because it increases our focus regen in several ways. First it increases our focus regen the same way it does for rogues/druids and energy. Second it lets us cast more cobra shots, meaning more focus in a shorter amount of time.

i vote for haste too.....i tried mastery it wasn't as good as i thought it would...

Quote Originally Posted by Watisbldlust View Post
    The reason we don't want to reforge mastery right now is because of how poorly it scales. Currently at 978 Mastery I only get 13.46% increased damage, thats only 5.46% in addition to the 8% base. Haste is better because it increases our focus regen in several ways. First it increases our focus regen the same way it does for rogues/druids and energy. Second it lets us cast more cobra shots, meaning more focus in a shorter amount of time.
    So, 978 mastery isn't worth 4.50% more overall damage? what makes you think haste scales any better? because it don't, I got very low haste and i got 6 346s, 1 epic and rest is 333.

As a hunter, what % of our damage is not spell damage? about 30%, pet and auto shoot is all physical.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

I'm fairly certain that Haste will end up being our primary focus, at least for Survival; The scaling on Mastery makes it unappealing. At 84 my Hunter has 700 Haste, and with the Upwind of Altairus Buff my dps not only increases by roughly 45-40%, my shot queue changes rather abruptly. Arcane Shot's damage suddenly becomes on par with Explosive and Cobra, as well as my Auto Shots shooting up in value. Just by doubling my attack speed, my Recount Report goes from Explosive33%->Cobra33%->Auto17%->Arcane15% too Explosive20%->Arcane20%->Cobra20%->Auto20%.

I tried reforging all of my gear to Mastery, not only did I not feel an increase, my dps went down roughly 1k, not really conclusive testing. However when I reforged Haste, it jumped by nearly 3k. Crit didn't seem to change much either way.

Just my quick observations.

Reforging Crit is not a good idea in my mind compared to haste/mastery, as well. Right now I'm at roughly 17% crit, I think, and reforging crit doesn't really bring it up enough to be comparable to more haste or more elemental damage with mastery.

Once all my initial Cataclysm work is calmed down and I'm running heroics non-stop (I need to work on my druid for skinning/mining so that I can level up my hunter's LW/JC and such), I will be doing what I recommend you do: hop on a test dummy for a few hours and test out different changes based on reforging. It will also improve your rotation and overall DPS, anyway.

Gem agility, reforge for the hit cap, then prioritize haste (slightly) over crit over mastery. Haste and crit should be theoretically close together, though, so their priority may flip-flop as your gear improves.

While mastery looks appealing ("wow, it boosts all our elemental damage!") it scales too slowly to compete with haste and crit until the latter two stats are pretty high. Maybe it'll catch up in a later tier when item budgets inflate somewhat.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

Deleted
    i priorize mastery and crit over haste atm and i think im doing good with that. would need some theorycrafting to be entirely sure about that though

I've stacked hit(till cap)> agi > mastery > haste > crit and I'm getting quite nice results with it. (17.6k on first boss in vortex pinnacle).
    Can't anyone post links documenting the claims about haste and crit being better than mastery?

Isn't there this thing about getting enough haste to lower steady shot to 1.5s and then mastery?

Hit (Until Cap)> Mastery> Haste> Crit for SV
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsereaver
    Barani you are the only Hunter for me. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Barani View Post
    Hit (Until Cap)> Mastery> Haste> Crit for SV
    can u give specific reason why?

It's funny how people just toss random things about without backing any of it up with some sound arguments.

Saying you want haste because "it increases your regen" is not really a valid point, as it doesn't say how much it increases and what not. Quite frankly the focus regen benefit from haste is largely overrated, because 1% haste does in fact give you 1% increased regen.
    Then comes the question what would you spend that extra focus on. Because even with low focus i can perfectly get my explosive shots on cooldown and keep black arrows up; so excess haste would go purely into arcane shot.

Mastery isn't a super stat either. 70% of it is affected by it roughly. Which is great, but you get as much mastery as you get crit for the same rating.
    Crit on the other hand increases the damage of 100% of your attacks (because everything we got can crit now).

However at a certain point crit will diminish in value, and mastery gains some.
    Very basic example, to explain the concept:
    100% crit vs 50% crit + 50% mastery. Say your attack normally deals 100 damage.
    With 100% crit you'll always do 200 damage, which is also the average.
    With 50% crit and 50% mastery you will do either 150 damage or 300 damage, the average of that is 225 damage.

------

My guess is that you want to get a certain amount of haste (roughly) so that your cobra shots line up nicely.

Explosive shot happens every 6 seconds, if you count the GCD from explosve shot you have 5 seconds to do your Cobra Shots.
    To do 3 of them you need a cast time of 5 / 3 = 1.67 seconds. That requires: 2 / 1.67 = 1.1976 = 19.76% haste. Substract 3% from pathing and 10% from raid buff and it's roughly 6% haste.
    To do 4 cobra shots between your explosive shots you need 5 / 4 = 1.25 second cast time. That requires 2 / 1.25 = 60% haste. Which is probably too much to get passively.

Then again this is not accounting for latency, or the fact you sometimes work in black arrow. Which changes the situaton a bit. But that is the major problem with haste. At certain values a little bit more haste could be your best stat to get, but at most values it seems to be the worst.

After that you want to focus on crit, and keep some mastery too for that effect i talked about earlier.

My guess would be:

Hit (to cap) > Agility > Crit > Mastery > Haste

This is talking PvE wise. PvP wise it's a different case, i would actually assume you want to stack more haste there, so that you are more flexible in your focus generation.
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2010-12-11 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiea View Post
    So, 978 mastery isn't worth 4.50% more overall damage? what makes you think haste scales any better? because it don't, I got very low haste and i got 6 346s, 1 epic and rest is 333.

As a hunter, what % of our damage is not spell damage? about 30%, pet and auto shoot is all physical.
    I don't think you understand what they mean by scaling. You may not have very much haste on your gear, but what they were implying was that haste is more beneficial, point for point, than mastery. If you don't have very much haste, it could be because you do not think it is useful and therefore are making gearing choices that ignore it.

I think the idea for haste is moreso that it increases our focus regen. Increasing our auto attack speed is a side-effect of more haste, with the primary focus being to increase our focus regen through raw haste benefits and also allowing more cobra shots which will mean more elemental damage distributed. The tradeoff for taking haste over mastery is that with mastery you make your attacks hit harder and with haste you launch more attacks.

Whats up with so many people saying how they feel this or that increases their dps? Dont give us your feelings, tell us facts, statistics, situations. Just because you have a smoother rotation with more haste dosnt necisarily mean your doing more dps.

How is necisarily spelt anyways?

My personal stat prio ignoring agi as its the one you want:

Hit(until capped)>Haste(until 1.5 cobra shots)>Mastery>Crit

The thing is with a ton of agi you get a ton of crit. I mean after doing a few days of heroics Im with the cat out on about 19.5% crit tho haste and mastery are only on 8%. This is with hit cap as well.