Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Tanks please stop speed pulling, Your healer is ripping his/her hair out

I know its not all of you because i have had some really good tanks the last couple of days, but i would say 4 out of 5 expect the flow or 5 man normals to go as fast as wolk. 81-84 is a very stressful time to be a healer. Our spells don't heal for shit, they cost a ton and they are slow has hell to cast. It will get better with gear, but till then please before you move to the next mob do your healer a favor and see what he/shes doing and what his/her mana is at.

Love,
    Resto Shaman.

Oh hell you see a tank doing that just let him die, some need to learn to watch what the healer is doing. Nobody is at the whim of one person.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

I do confess that I have tamed myself to start looking at the healers mana before going from pull to pull. Its hard going from the "LOL PULL ENTIRE DUNGEON THEN AOE" mentality when you over gear 80 heroics by a huge margin.

Give it some time, let people sink in and and they will start realizing that they need to wait on their healers :d

10+ Year Old Account
    I must be pretty lucky then. I've had pretty decent tank/healer combos in randoms. There was only one time when a tank was pulling so fast that I was concerned about the healer, but he kept up like a pro (of course, innervates helped too).

Sorry, but I disagree. I have done both healing and tanking, and have had no issues with power pulling with anyone even remotely appropriately geared. Every time I have seen a healer going oom it has been because they are using the wrong heals. If you're spamming greater healing wave, healing surge, flash of light, etc YOU are making yourself go oom. Use the CHEAP heals you're supposed to be using, and the expensive ones only when you need them, and you will be fine.

Is it possible to pull too fast? Yep. Do I think that's the case 90% of the time? Nope. People need to look at their new heals and play intelligently, and the problem will solve itself.

I agree, had to bitch at a few lastnight cuz they were going to fast, just tell them right off the bat to watch your mana and not chain pull like its wrath.

I've had some wierd ppl in my grp's..
    Tank pulling when im at 40% mana or less.. then calling me a noob and retard for letting him die (aka, i was oom :P) .. My friend was in the grp aswell, and after they kicked me for not being able to keep up the grp yet another time with no mana (again, pulling when im almost oom) they were saying that they were reporting me..lol

There are some strange ppl out there, that needs real help to understand the game. Seems like it will take them a while to shake off the "wotlk-playstyle".

I'm sure many have said this, but it isn't Wrath and as a healer it is irritating to even have to mention that fact. I'm not stubborn and just let the tank die, but after the wipe I have to calmly tell the tank to take it easy. Then I go and punch my neighbor's cat in the face in frustration.

Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. I have done both healing and tanking, and have had no issues with power pulling with anyone even remotely appropriately geared. Every time I have seen a healer going oom it has been because they are using the wrong heals. If you're spamming greater healing wave, healing surge, flash of light, etc YOU are making yourself go oom. Use the CHEAP heals you're supposed to be using, and the expensive ones only when you need them, and you will be fine.

Is it possible to pull too fast? Yep. Do I think that's the case 90% of the time? Nope. People need to look at their new heals and play intelligently, and the problem will solve itself.
    Sir, actually, never mind I can see where your going with this, and I will say it's luck, you have people who do know what they are doing and those that don't. Grats your one of the few who know how to do things properly without endangering anyone, does everyone have that kind of mentality? No, so don't try to point the finger saying it's the healers fault when it could be any number of things, we are stating, tanks that chain pull need to be aware if they can do that or not.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

Pulling fast (meaning, having a problem with it) is always in conjunction of tanks taking to much dmg, or letting mobs run of on dps.
    Bad tanks, pulling fast = oom.. cus you HAVE to use your expensive heals to prevent death.

You seem to have been lucky with tanks, and I agree with you. But most ppl out there (wich i've met) queue tank to speed up the queue, and play with crap gear (aka, half dpsgear)

Edit: Meant to quote "Cactrot"

10+ Year Old Account
    Some hallmarks of a great tank in 5 mans.

He marks mobs and explains the CC marks clearly.

He always faces mobs away from the group.

He knows how to pull skillfully, including LoS pulls on casters.

He pays attention to the healers mana himself and does not need to be told to wait for mana.

He uses his full range of abilities to make the whole task easier for everyone, not only holding threat.

If you find a tank like this on your realm, CLING TO THEM! lol

I'm a tank and I have to say I sympathize with you. I try to give my healers time to mana up, but they don't often give me an "ok" sign, so I try to wait till they hit me with a renew or a shield as their way of saying "go". If there's no sign, then I kinda have to guess for myself. I would say if you're having trouble with tanks pulling too fast, maybe just say 'hey slow down a bit if you can'. I know I would be more than happy to. The tank/healer pairing really should set the pace of the group, so it's important to be on the same page.

That being said, I should point out that most of the times I've had to go fast was from DPS pulling. They are still used to WLK so they're going a mile a minute, popping all their buttons on the mobs while I'm still bringing the enemies back. I would request that if one of the DPS does pull aggro off the tank, don't worry too much about healing them. They'll either learn to work with the tank, or start looking to see if the tank has a threat issue.

TL,DR: We hear you, and some of us will try, but be sure to communicate, and realize it's not always our fault

Let em die, then let the QQ, and then you can slap em.
    - Nom Nom

10+ Year Old Account
    For me the experience was the opposite. As a tank, the healers would be the ones asking me to rush ahead. The sentence "Pull moar" was the only time most healers would even talk. So if anyone is to blame for the current tanks, the healers are.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    Oh hell you see a tank doing that just let him die, some need to learn to watch what the healer is doing. Nobody is at the whim of one person.
    I'm really going to have to start letting the dumb ones die, but I always feel bad. I'm going to have to change some morality issues here...

And I've had a few tanks that don't even wait to see if I'm in the same area as them, let alone worry about my mana issues.

Another thing is that healers after every pull have to: (most likely with the leveling dungeons) top everyone off, drink, then loot, and catch up. We don't have the privilege to be healed by someone else, and only worry about focus/rage/energy. We don't just loot and run ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen this happen as well.

Luckily, I do most of my instanceruns with a guildie and friend as a tank. He manages to keep the pace in instances really high, while still keeping an eye on my manabar.
    He sees how much mana I use on a trash pull, and he'll pull only when he knows I have enough mana to make it through the pull.

This makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, letting a chainpulling tank die isn't really an option, because 90% of the times this means the whole group wipes and you lose time with running back/ressing/eating/drinking. They will sometimes die when you just plain run out of mana though.

Deleted

You would be wrong.

It is the responsiblity of tanks to set the pace of a dungeon - I mean who else can, tbh? Any good tank will first and foremost assess the ability of their healer to keep up at least heals on them without going OOM. What's a tank meant to do - tell an undergeared (all healers undergeared now), new skilled (all healers received new healing spells), new contextualised (we're no longer in WotLK, hun!) healer to "shape up?" You're crazy!

It's a group effort, the tank leads the group and they cannot do anything if the healer is OOM.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-12-10 at 04:34 PM.

That is a fair point, the thing is I can go ALL day long on boss fights, no mana problems what so ever, but its when we get these big power trash pulls that I HAVE to spam healing surge to keep the group going. I know its coming down to dps not doing there jobs on ccs and interupts, but the tank needs to give them a chance to work, every time I try to bind an elemental in stone core for example some silly dk tank dnds right on top of it.

Also who have you been running with, guild members or randoms? Either way I will take your advice and re-evaluate my spell choice. I try to use nothing but healing wave and riptide unless I have to, but it seems they don't come close to healing the sort of aoe dmg the group is taking.

It just depends, if the tank doesn't stand in aoe and mobs are cc'd, chain pulling can be done, because we don't have to spam our inefficient heals to keep people alive. I was healing a random halls of origin, and after a couple trash pulls, I asked why we weren't cc'ing anything (group was mage, hunter, rogue). The tank and the group's reply was, we didn't have to at 80. The tank also decided to stand in all the aoe he could, as well as the rogue, so I let the rogue die pretty much every time he was standing in avoidable damage, the same thing I did at 80. I'm not going to curse tanks for chain pulling, but use cc. It doesn't add any length to the instance and it makes it completely easier.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being a healer in BC, i am cool with the whole "new" needing to use more than one or two spell things. But I have found, in the first few days of cata. That my gear isnt sufficient to keep up the required healing for chain pulls. Some pulls are so bad that I have to drink after every trash pack. (note i said pack, not mob). So, until your healers have a chance to gear up, be kind, check their mana bar before pulling.

Also. 15k mana for a rez? Any death causes me to loose about 20% of my mana, which puts me even less able to be ready to chain pull.