Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nope. Only stop if asked. I didn't have to stop once last night in stone core and vortex.

-Paladin who manages mana well

Quote Originally Posted by Walice View Post
    Well I hit 4/5 but this one i have trouble with right now... Everytime i mention CC people are like "lol dnt cc just go"
    That seems to be my problem as well. I mention CC, and offer to use it, but a lot of people (NOT ALL) just want to run it quick.

It was funny. I was with a group one time,three were from the same guild, and it must have been their first dungeon run after WOTLK. The healer thought he could heal through ANYTHING. lol It turns out that was not the case. Five times not the case. It didn't help that the tank thought he was so elite that he could tank anything and everything either. I finally insisted we start to use CC and we finally made it through the dungeon. The whole time they complained about how hard Blizzard had made the game.

Another PUG I ran with paused before each pull and considered each. Everybody was from different servers, no guildies, but it was the quickest run I had, and the smoothest.

My point is there are bad players, and there are good players. One bad player can unfortunately affect the whole group.

Yeah I just respecced my offspec to resto on my druid and the first instance I get into is an in progress Throne of the Tides where the tank is getting his shit slapped by void zones because he wont move. Then he starts pulling two packs of trash at a time and rushing off without me when i'm looting shit. the DPS was pretty low too so shit wasn't dying, and they weren't CCing stuff either. It's no wonder their other healer dropped. Tank got mad and dropped group when I let him eat the floor when he rushed off without me in a big group, I even said "sec, I need to check if this BoE drop is an upgrade".

Hurp durp Wrath trained tanks.

As a healer and tank, I find it annoying to either go oom half way through a trash pull or not be able to pull because the dps think that they make that choice. While leveling up in the dungeons, some of those mechanics matter. Like that void thingy on the second boss in Throne of The Tides. I didn't move as the tank, and I died. Luckily with all guildies. At the OP: I feel you with the chain pulls. At the Wotlk tanks: l2 tank. It's not that hard if you can use like Faire Fire instead of Charge/swipe or Trash.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Deleted
    Hurp durp Wrath trained tanks.
    I starting tanking in Wrath and I aint that bad. I think. I hope.

I think there is some really great info here guys, Thanks for the tips I'll try applying them in game and hopefully get a little better experience.

And a shout out to all the tanks of WoW no hard feelings brothers. I never intended for this post to be a tank bash or QQ thread, merely an open exchange of experiences in the dungeons so that we can curtail the problems. I don't want blizz to 't Nerf this into boring-ville 4.0 because no one is progressing, so lets all get little better (or a lot better in my case 0.o)

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of endless polar bear mounts, Iceland
    The problem is that people have forgotten what CC is. Everyone's mindset is stuck in the "AoE everything down", now the group actually has to focus fire one mob down at a time.
    I remember back in TBC when the only chance for me to get into a group as a shaman was to be a healer, because we had no CC. Doing dungeons today, if the tank sucks and wants to AoE everyting, I take control of the group and start marking. We also have to remember that most of the people that are failing are people that started playing during WotlK, and we simply have to teach them how to properly run a dungeon. TBC players are so much more aware of their party members needs.
    But overall I just love running dungeons today, just started doing heroics yesterday and I haven't had this much fun in WoW for years.

And yes I play as a healer, I maybe have to stop once or twice during a dungeon to drink. Spaming healing wave (2.5s) heal is the way to victory

2nd edit: I think that most dps don't understand how healing has changed, we can't simply top them off with one heal when they're at 50% like we did before, it takes 3-4 2.5sec heals to do that now, which most times we can't do because of the tank. We'll just have to help them understand (in most cases by letting them die).
    Last edited by Thruma; 2010-12-10 at 06:01 PM.

Deleted
    I had this problem at the 15-60 instances already, most tanks are in a hurry it seems :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people in general are starting to learn. Seeing a lot of people get into Stonecore (first two were pretty easy) and going ok what do i do here? Stay out of stuff, don't stand in stuff and watch for pats. Most of it is indeed easy if poeople remember those basic rules. If a group starts to get overwhelmed, I think its important for the tank & healer to communicate.

I actually like running with Pugs. You get to see some different methods boss strats, meet different types of people. I've been lucky I think and have had some generally great groups.

Marking is nice, added help that certainly doesn't hurt. Having people watch where they stand. Heavens sake, ask a question if you aren't sure. These dungeons are still new!

I starting tanking in Wrath and I aint that bad. I think. I hope.
    Yeah, I guess it should be "hurp durp most Wrath trained tanks.". A few of them turned out ok

Deleted
    Marking is nice, added help that certainly doesn't hurt. Having people watch where they stand. Heavens sake, ask a question if you aren't sure. These dungeons are still new!
    ...I dunt wanna get to off topic but the thing that really annoyed me about wrath was this. I am an altoholic, i like alting, and i decided that in Cata i would completely reroll on a new fresh server and just enjoy the game. Sooo its gunna take me some time to hit 85, now by the time i do they wont be new and everyone will assume you know everything, and even asking things like "um what do i do here guys?" will get you booted out of PuGs.

I kind of feel for new players sometimes.

---------- Post added 2010-12-10 at 05:47 PM ----------

Yeah, I guess it should be "hurp durp most Wrath trained tanks.". A few of them turned out ok
    Awww. I like to think i'm alright. I used to think I was a terrible player but after seeing some people... I realised I aint all THAT bad. Not perfect but its just a game at the end of the day. At least I know what CC means... Or rather, if i didn't at least be sensible enough to use it when asked. I've heared people here say some players have down right refused when asked nicely... *sigh*
    Last edited by mmoc915aae86da; 2010-12-10 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please stop healing, they'll get the hint.

Love,
    Your friendly neighborhood Hunter.

Deleted
    Everyone needs to change their ways.

Healers need to look at their spells more carefully
    Tanks need to watch out for healers mana and control mobs
    DPS need to watch aggro and CC mobs

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks, I highly suggest keybinding all of the raid markers.

I myself use the numpad, 1-7 (approximately) and after a short time you'll memorise the hotkeys and be able to mark targets in a couple of seconds.
    Unless you're still learning the pulls and aren't sure which are the best CC targets and best first-kill targets. Just have to learn that as you go.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    My experience since vanilla is player who has/does pvp a good deal understands their skills better, and have more situational awareness. PVP has made me a better pve player as well, from kiting to cc, bursting a target down while avoiding as much damage as possible. Its not that wow is hard, its a challenge, and you have all the tools to overcome it in your dusty little spell book. Heck, i have 3 damage absorbs key bound to my mouse lol.

Deleted
    ...I dunt wanna get to off topic but the thing that really annoyed me about wrath was this. I am an altoholic, i like alting, and i decided that in Cata i would completely reroll on a new fresh server and just enjoy the game. Sooo its gunna take me some time to hit 85, now by the time i do they wont be new and everyone will assume you know everything, and even asking things like "um what do i do here guys?" will get you booted out of PuGs.

I kind of feel for new players sometimes.

---------- Post added 2010-12-10 at 05:47 PM ----------

Awww. I like to think i'm alright. I used to think I was a terrible player but after seeing some people... I realised I aint all THAT bad. Not perfect but its just a game at the end of the day.
    While I agree that behaviour can be disconcerting for a new player, I think asking basic intelligent questions and making it clear you are new to a dungeon at the beginning of the instance is a good thing. The only time you can kind of get away with not doing that is if you're a healer. But that's still risky - its better to ask than to be the cause of a wipe.

If a group decides to kick you just for owning up to being new, you probably wouldn't ever want to group with them anyway! Also, at least you don't get a debuff for being kicked out. They may even fail and you will be happily halfway through or even finished a dungeon with another group who knew their stuff so well it was trivial for them to explain important fights to a new person.

Just be who you are, the best you can be, and don't look to change your core self or adopt bad behaviours from others!

10+ Year Old Account
    i hate those coke-sniffing tanks that pull the whole room and everyone aoe's.
    some times even dpsers start pulling like that and think its "pro" ...tho i spend half my mana pool on them.
    wotlk dumbed down pve'ers unfortunately.

i do pve to take a break from pvp or RL and relax,
    not be on the edge of my seat and chugging down pots on cooldown....

l2cc. l2enjoy.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2010-12-10 at 05:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frejborg View Post
    Tanks, I highly suggest keybinding all of the raid markers.

I myself use the numpad, 1-7 (approximately) and after a short time you'll memorise the hotkeys and be able to mark targets in a couple of seconds.
    Unless you're still learning the pulls and aren't sure which are the best CC targets and best first-kill targets. Just have to learn that as you go.
    Addons can do this too. I have a small addon called Quickmark, its pretty simple, just puts a bar with all the symbols on and you just target and click.

Quote Originally Posted by frejborg View Post
    Some hallmarks of a great tank in 5 mans.

He marks mobs and explains the CC marks clearly.

He always faces mobs away from the group.

He knows how to pull skillfully, including LoS pulls on casters.

He pays attention to the healers mana himself and does not need to be told to wait for mana.

He uses his full range of abilities to make the whole task easier for everyone, not only holding threat.

If you find a tank like this on your realm, CLING TO THEM! lol
    I have 3 of these in my guild, and there mine all mine, don't even thing about it.

Seriously I was really glad when on of them hit 85, so I could que with them saves my little resto druid alot of heartache.

Deleted
    Addons can do this too. I have a small addon called Quickmark, its pretty simple, just puts a bar with all the symbols on and you just target and click.
    Sushi Auto Mark is cool for marking.

As is a very popular addon people already use for other things, Opie.

But tbh, I grew up on using the Numpad which gives me more buttons than I ever need and because I know it off by heart I can mark mobs ridiculously fast compared to anything other than automatic addons such as Sushi Auto Mark or Magic Marker.