New random instance portal atop Kara?

So a guildy had sad something about this too me, so I decided to check it out during a flyover for Archaeology. I would post screenshots I took but I havent made an account to post until now. :P Either way, at the top of Karazhan's main tower there is a small balcony with an unmanned griffon roost and a caged/gated off (No tooltip upon mousover) green instance portal. This isn't the back entrance, and I confirmed that the back door was indeed still in the same place. I'll have to make a run through Kara to make sure its not just an exit, since we could fly away now.

Just thought it was interesting, possibly bringing Kara back or popping a new boss at the top? I really don't know, but what do you guys think?

*Once I gain more posts I'll post my screenshots if no one else has at the time*
    Last edited by Ronissassa; 2010-12-10 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo fixes :P

theoretically, that has allways been there.

"The Karazhan gryphon roost is leftover from the planning phase of Karazhan. Before the teleport to Aran's room was implemented, the original plan was to have a flightpath that connected to the top of Karazhan for the convenience of groups who had already cleared most of the instance."

Taken from Wowwiki.

Yeah but we've never been able to see it until now ^_^ that's why i was saying i needed to run through to make sure its not an exit we missed during BC off to the side or something before prince malch
    *edit*
    ^ scratch that i guess ha, Thanks lobo, I shoulda google'd harder :P

it's been there all along, seen it with Farsight on my shaman before
    originally the gryphon entrance was planned for a shortcut to the last couple of bosses. it turned out to be insanely complicated, if not impossible, to make an NPC outside the instance react differently to the state of the raidID (ie: if Shade of Aran is dead, offer flightpath) so they went with a teleport instead

As a general guess:

It was probably the original idea had for arriving at Kara, since it's a fairly lengthy flight/run compaired to other lvl 70 dungeons.

For whatever reason they decided to scrap the flightpath and just left the model design as-is since no one would see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye, why not, actually Im never didnt tho about it ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ronissassa View Post
    *Once I gain more posts I'll post my screenshots if no one else has at the time*
    try to post link without "www.", maybe could help

Deleted
    Green instance portals are not used for raids typically, perhaps it might have been there all throughout Vanilla and we did not know!

Deleted
    old news is old? we discussed this in a previous thread back in beta, we then realised it was the old way of getting to shade of aran+ in the planning stages of kara, before being exchanged with the teleport idea