MC Ragnaros bugged?

Went to do my weekly solo of MC last night, ret/prot pally, never had any issues at lvl 80 doing the content. Get through everything reasonably fine, come to ragnaros. Stand in my usual spot, knocked back, 4k HP, hmmm thats strange, try to top myself up as much as possible, happens again, dead. Did it twice as ret before going to prot, 5 more wipes after that and lodge a ticket to blizz, something must be up. I thought position seamed fine, had my back to the largest area of lava available as usual (with the highest path) some knockbacks were ok took no dmg, others fall damage. I tried standing max melee range which seamed worse, tried stacking right on top of rag even and still taking fall damage. The furthest i got was the birst knockback after he spawned adds.

Has fall dmg been buffed?
    Has anyone else experienced this since the release of cata?
    Is it bugged?

Might just be unlucky. I used to solo him weekly on my pally in wrath and experience the same things occasionally. I remember a few times taking 80-90% fall damage and getting a secondary knockback as soon as I got back to him.

Also if you are 85 now your fall damage is massive due to your HP. Healing back up will take alot more than it did to heal up 20-30k at 80. Also, atleast in my experience our healing is now rubbish compared to level 80 was. Now that AoW wont heal you for 40-50% each proc and judgement of light is gone, seal of light is weak you may just be experiencing the withdrawal of selfhealing (which they nerfed far too much, my fury/prot warrior is better selfhealing than my ret/prot paladin now).

Havent gone to see him since cata but from other falling I dont seem to be taking extra damage.

increased HP might be one of the problems, I mean im talking fully topped of 132k prot pal getting shot back and left with 2-3k hp
    WoG heals for the same as it did at 80, and we have twice the HP. might have to multibox my mage in just to get slow falls

Yeah, I cant stand that prot pallies have the worst selfhealing of all the tanks. I mean, we are a class with divine power and a warrior heals more than we do.

Being left at 2-3k from 130k seems excessive, thats above 95%. Ret has better selfhealing abilities so you might be better with it. Maybe they did increase it a little, I dont recall more than about 75% fall damage on Rag.

I managed fine the other day as an 85 ret. The knockback was hitting my hard if I didn't land in lava, but I was fine for the most part.

I'm pretty sure that fall damage is based on your health %, not the number itself, so it's normal that you lose all that HP, even though I'ts the same loss as in WotLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhorahil View Post
    I'm pretty sure that fall damage is based on your health %, not the number itself, so it's normal that you lose all that HP, even though I'ts the same loss as in WotLK.
    This is the case. Fall damage scales off of your total health, so you should be taking the same percentage of health damage as you did before.
    You should theoretically have more health (but same percentage) since your health pool has increased so drastically, unless there is in fact some change.

Krab

I just soloed this today, and it was substantially easier than at level 80.
    There is a spot where you stand where you fall into the large lava pool when you get knockbacked, so you don't take the rather ridiculous fall damage at level 85, which when I messed up did around 70k damage. If you do this, he will do his lava burst (or something similarly named) which does 3-5k magic damage ticks, which can be mitigated with a cooldown (something like anti-magic shield, if you are a Death Knight) or if Ragnaros can attack something else in melee range (like a summoned ghoul, bloodworm, army of the undead minion, etc.), he wont do the burst.
    Even if you can't mitigate the burst of this ability, the overall damage is much less than the falling damage you take at level 85.

Yeah, fall damage is a % of health so you just need to fix your positioning.

Yeah. It's just a scaling issue.

At level 80 you take like 10-15K falling damage(or whatever) with the average level 80 DPS health pool and heal that up with a few quick Flash of Lights or whatever and continue soloing him.

At level 85, you take 70-80K falling damage(or whatever) with the average level 85 DPS health pool and not be able to heal that up again by the time he knocked you back again and killed you.