Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Q: Hunter changes, Haste and Mastery

Hi!

Ive been thinking alot latly after the 4.0.6 patch and ive seen some nice changes etc.

Haste now reduces the casting time on steadyshot and cobrashot.
    Mastery % has been incrased.

Now atm what should we MM hunters stack? Should be reforge haste into mastery and enchant + gem our gear for haste, or should we do the other way arround?

Haste always has reduced the casting time of cobra/steady shot.

If you're hard casting aimed shot mastery is going to be less than ideal (as it resets/turns off your auto shots for the duration of the cast).

Most top hunters that ive armory'd seem to be reducing their mastery (currently). Early in the patch though so things may change. And it may depend on gear level what you can and cant get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathswk View Post

Should be reforge haste into mastery and enchant + gem our gear for haste, or should we do the other way arround?
    Neither...you gem and enchant for AGI and only for AGI unless gem socket bonus is +20AGI.

Deleted
    Haste for MM if you're hardcasting Aimed Shot. If you're not, probably Crit, but I don't see why you should waste focus on Arcanes instead of Aimeds, unless you just have to keep moving every single second of the fight.

Deleted
    at the first day of 4-0-6 i was going to stack haste and crit...i just had 12mastery, taht was okey, when there are not adds who needs to get bombed, but if you have to bomb some trashpacks or addpacks in a fight like maloriak HM you have no chance to get highdps. the ae dmg of marksman with max haste and less master isn't acceptable. Now you say i had better used my SV spec, but what shall ido with 12mastery and 12haste in sv spec??
    So the sv specc is also useless, when not refrroging to sv. And i don'r run every speccchange to the reforging man xD xD

Yesterday i had made some dummie tests and tried max crit then mastery and got an dps increase of 1-2k dps at the dummie...

So i think agi->hit (till cap)->crit->mastery-> haste

As MM hunter and SV hunter u will never gem haste.

Prio: Hit > Crit > Mastery > Haste

Haste is better then mastery till 6% haste, after that, u'll reforge ur haste to mastery (if u have crit on the gear piece) You are always going to have crit on each item.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

facepalm

oh facepalm, then i have been gemming wrong since cata...ive been gemming mastery in yellow sockets, Hit in blues and agility in reds, is this pure wrong? ive gemmed hit just to get capped wich i am atm...

Should i now stack only agility even tho its a yellow socket?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathswk View Post
    Should i now stack only agility even tho its a yellow socket?
    Depends on the socket, there are a few spots where gemming agi/crit would be acceptable, 1r/1y with +20 agi bonus.
    In blue sockets I think there's more of a debate, regardless what most people will say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    Haste always has reduced the casting time of cobra/steady shot.
    correct me if im wrong but does haste on the ranged tab in the char panel say anything else but reducing attack speed and focus regen? only in the spell tab u see haste reducing SPELL cast time, at melee and ranged tabs theres no such thing, just attack speed, haste shouldnt reduce any cast time at hunters from what i can tell, steady is readuced for some reason tho, cobra not. I dont rly get how haste works for hunters tbh.
    Last edited by mmocf2b48f80b4; 2011-02-12 at 05:12 PM.

Deleted
    when the socket bonus grants 20agi or more you should use mixedgems like 20agi/20hit(blue-socket) or 20agi/20crit(yellow)

but if you have two sockets...one yellow one blue you should better gem 2reds with 40agi. 80agi is better than 60agi+20crit+20hit

Quote Originally Posted by karmakill View Post
    correct me if im wrong but does haste on the ranged tab in the char panel say anything else but reducing attack speed and focus regen? only in the spell tab u see haste reducing SPELL cast time, at melee and ranged tabs theres no such thing, just attack speed, haste shouldnt reduce any cast time at hunters from what i can tell, steady is readuced for some reason tho, cobra not. I dont rly get how haste works for hunters tbh.
    Haste acts for hunters as it would for any caster, reducing the cast time of our abilities.

At the moment, all specs of hunter should still stack Crit above everything else. Even for MM hardcasting aimed shots, Crit is still your best stat. As nice as haste is for MM when hardcasting aimed shot, the value of Crit is also much higher for MM because of Piercing Shots, which also contributes a ton of damage when those aimed shots crit. Haste comes in a close second, you want to stack as much as you can without hurting your crit %. Mastery is at the bottom, which admittedly is strange considering MM has the best mastery, but it still provides much less benefit than Crit or Haste. So I'd sugguest, at least until they change aimed shot again, reforging crit onto all gear that doesn't already have it, then reforging the rest of your mastery to haste.

Edit: To clarify, Crit above everything else refers to secondary stats. Of course you want to use your gems slots/enchants on agility whenever available.

---------- Post added 2011-02-12 at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardohreally View Post

Haste is better then mastery till 6% haste, after that, u'll reforge ur haste to mastery (if u have crit on the gear piece) You are always going to have crit on each item.
    This is correct only for SV. The 6% marker refers to the point as which you can fit 3 full cobra shots in the 6 second window between explosive shot cooldowns. It is *kind of* true for BM, which has the same 6 second window for Kill Command, but only if you're not good about keeping your focus fire buff up, because that will cover it most of the time by itself. For Marsman, the cooldown on Chimera shot is 10 seconds, so the plateu will be different. However, even that 10 second cooldown on Chimera shot is secondary to squeezing in as many aimed shots as you can atm, so the benefit of haste seems to be more or less linear while aimed shot remains in it's current state.
    Last edited by Osmin; 2011-02-12 at 07:30 PM.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardohreally View Post

As ANY Hunter other than a HunTARD you will never gem Haste. You NEVER gem anything but Agility unless it's a socket bonus of 20 Agi and there is a red socket (or two reds if it has 3 total sockets). And no, Haste is NOT better than Mastery for MM. You want to get to 1.6 Cobra Shot cast time as Survival, and then Crit is your top stat. For MM and BM, Mastery is the top stat.

---------- Post added 2011-02-12 at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Psii View Post
    Depends on the socket, there are a few spots where gemming agi/crit would be acceptable, 1r/1y with +20 agi bonus.
    In blue sockets I think there's more of a debate, regardless what most people will say.
    No there's not. In a blue you can do 20 agi/20 hit and still have your base 80 Agility with 20 hit. I've done this so I'm over the Hit cap. Plus 20 agi/20 hit is generally REALLY cheap, from what I've seen. No reason NOT to do it.
    I'll not spend my days glancing over my shoulder for assassins. Let them look back for me. --Elbryan, the Nightbird.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Thundercougr/

How important is it to reach the hit cap?

Quote Originally Posted by buttspawn View Post
    As ANY Hunter other than a HunTARD you will never gem Haste. You NEVER gem anything but Agility unless it's a socket bonus of 20 Agi and there is a red socket (or two reds if it has 3 total sockets). And no, Haste is NOT better than Mastery for MM. You want to get to 1.6 Cobra Shot cast time as Survival, and then Crit is your top stat. For MM and BM, Mastery is the top stat.

No there's not. In a blue you can do 20 agi/20 hit and still have your base 80 Agility with 20 hit. I've done this so I'm over the Hit cap. Plus 20 agi/20 hit is generally REALLY cheap, from what I've seen. No reason NOT to do it.
    Your misinformation is terribad.

There are certain Haste caps that Hunters should achieve before Mastery outperforms it.

SV Hunters should aim to get their Cobra shot down to 1.66 or 1.67 preferably (NOT 1.6)

MM need i think somewhere around 13% haste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by buttspawn View Post

This is so wrong im not even sure where to start.

Ok for starters. Go run your char as marksman on femaledwarf and check out the stat weightings, itll give you a fair indication that mastery is NOT the top stat.

At lower levels of haste I was showing a stat weighting of 1.6:0.6 Haste/Mastery. Now ive reforged to ~14% haste im showing closer to 0.7:0.6 with Haste STILL In front.
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 2011-02-12 at 11:20 PM.