Possible to edit sound files?

After making a female worgen, I have been wondering if it was possible to change the character sound files from one race to another (for example: out of range, not enough rage, etc.) In my case, I really like the human-form sounds much more than the worgen-form sounds. After doing some searching I haven't come across anything too helpful. Maybe you wizards might have a solution?

I'm not sure if addon functionality could pull this off... You might have to physically switch the sound files in the MPQs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phraun View Post
    I'm not sure if addon functionality could pull this off... You might have to physically switch the sound files in the MPQs.
    Exactly. Extract the sounds from the MPQ, rename them to the worgen files' names, drop them in your WoW folder (under the correct path).

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Exactly. Extract the sounds from the MPQ, rename them to the worgen files' names, drop them in your WoW folder (under the correct path).

That's what I suspected. I haven't done much work before in terms of editing the MPQs, but I'm sure there are already posts on this forum about that. Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 12:57 PM ----------

One more question. I was able to edit the MPQ and find the sound files I want, but I'm unable to replace them. The MPQ editor keeps saying the file is read-only, even though I'm not opening it as read only. I've extracted the files, but I can't replace the undesired files with the ones I want. Is there any way around this?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't replace them in the MPQ. Just make a series of properly named folders under your WoW folder, and drop the new files in there - the game will load those present as discrete files instead of loading them from the MPQ (this is how font overrides and artwork replacements work).

That makes a lot of sense. I'm still working on it, and I know I'm very close. I made all the appropriate directories with my altered files, but it still doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps I'm putting them in the wrong directory?

The place the MPQ I'm extracting the sound files from is in my WoW/Data/enUS folder, the MPQ file being "speech-enUS.MPQ". The desired files are at the directory, after the MPQ, /Sound/character/PCGilneanFemale and PCWorgenFemale. In the same folder that the MPQ is in, I made the directory Sound/character/PCWorgenFemale and copied the Gilnean Female's voice files to it, renaming them to the Worgen's corresponding files. It hasn't worked, though.

Deleted
    I think it should be Interface/Sound. I could be wrong.
    Otherwise, try World of Warcraft/Sound.

Just tried those, still nothing. Hmmmph. It's a mystery!

Try /data/sound.
    That seems to be the location indicated by the author of a preset selection of muted sounds found in Muted Sounds - combat only @ wowinterface where selected combat sounds, particularly those from weapons etc are replaced with "muted" sound files.
    Also a good explanation regarding just empty vs properly muted files, plus ofc you use theirs with just renaming.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2010-12-14 at 08:18 AM.

I'll try data/sound again. That seems to be the most logical directory. If that doesn't work, maybe I messed up something and didn't rename a file exactly right, or something.

I might try this. I'd love to have a female belf with the humanoid worgen female voice. Is that possible considering how worgen have two sets of voice acting per gender?
    Last edited by Syronicus; 2010-12-14 at 08:01 AM.

It should be possible. There are two different directories for their sound files. If you have any more luck with this than I'm having, let me know what you did

Data/sound didn't work. I'm not really sure what else to try at this point, other than hand checking each file name to make sure there are no typos... Hmm!

Deleted
    Make sure you restart WoW all the way each time!

Don't worry, I have been

I have been looking out of curiousity for those sounds but seem unable to find them, what is the path to them ?

OK. I did it for you, it took a while but no worries.

Move this file into your World of Warcraft folder. All of the filepaths are set.

The only issue is with "error speech". Blizzard only made error speech like, "I'm too far away", "I can't equip that", in the raspy worgen voice, so those couldn't be replaced. But all the emotes and flirts and whatever else are should be working.

This will change your Worgen Female Voice into an English sounding Gilnean Female Voice.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/437020351/Worg2Human.zip

---
    Also for Syronicus, I did one for you too. This will change your Blood Elf Female Voice into an English sounding Gilnean Female Voice.

http://rapidshare.com/files/437020376/BE2WorgHuman.rar

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Lawomous, I appreciate all the work you did! But... it's not working

It's just got to be something on my end, since I did exactly what you said. I'll continue to mess around with it over the next few days. If for some reason I get it working, I'll post what I did. Thanks, everyone, for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    OK. I did it for you, it took a while but no worries.

Move this file into your World of Warcraft folder. All of the filepaths are set.

The only issue is with "error speech". Blizzard only made error speech like, "I'm too far away", "I can't equip that", in the raspy worgen voice, so those couldn't be replaced. But all the emotes and flirts and whatever else are should be working.

This will change your Worgen Female Voice into an English sounding Gilnean Female Voice.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/437020351/Worg2Human.zip

---
    Also for Syronicus, I did one for you too. This will change your Blood Elf Female Voice into an English sounding Gilnean Female Voice.

http://rapidshare.com/files/437020376/BE2WorgHuman.rar
    Wow, thanks a lot. So I just add this to my files? I just did that and it doesn't work.

I just wanted to chime in here; I (think) I'm using the correct file paths, but it still doesn't replace the sounds in-game. Did Blizzard break this functionality (at least for races, I was able to replace log-in music just fine) ?

Has anyone had any luck replacing the worgen form voice?