Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadow bolt eats Soulfire!

as we all learned math when we were young, which is the highest damage?

Shadow bolt > Soul fire

See the crocodile eats shadow bolt, which means shadow bolt is stronger. I crit 27k with shadowbolt while i crit like 20k with soul fire...really fucked up

this is for demonlogy
    Last edited by Razstah; 2010-12-13 at 09:35 PM.
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...

10+ Year Old Account
    The question would be what? It would help to know what spec your talking about. As affliction i only use it with soulburn which makes it very worth the global.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its for demonlogy
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

I am fairly new to a Warlock (I only got mine to 80 3 days before Cataclysm hit) and the only spec I have used so far is Destruction. This is my opinion but I enjoyed using Soulfire over Shadowbolt mainly because there was no cast timer when you used Soulburn and then with the proc from the Imp having another instant Soulfire was pretty legit. Thats just my 2 cents.

Edit: And yes this is my first post, I always am reading these forums and I am just extremely bored at work right now so I thought I would start to contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Razstah View Post
    See the crocodile eats shadow bolt, which means shadow bolt is stronger.
    wut?

but i agree with what you are trying to sell. soul fire should hit for more than shadow bolt.
    ...just another dream within a dream...

Really in all specs soulfire should just be used to keep the isf buff up and nothing more, or on procs that would give it insta-casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
    Really in all specs soulfire should just be used to keep the isf buff up and nothing more, or on procs that would give it insta-casts.
    true, but still the the procs that reduce the cast time of soul fire should be a dps gain over just a normal shadow bolt. not true when soul fire does less dmg than shadow bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by flick86 View Post
    The question would be what? It would help to know what spec your talking about. As affliction i only use it with soulburn which makes it very worth the global.
    demonlogy he just said it read more careful

Quote Originally Posted by nightmarez View Post
    Last edited by Razstah; Today at 01:35 PM.
    Quit being a dick and learn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmarez View Post
    OP added that AFTER flick86 asked... so much for the careful reading ^^

Still worth it in execute phases anyhow considering the fast cast time soul fire has. And you never use soul fire except to keep the buff up wich you would use regardless.

Thanks to Stanton Biston for the amazing sig!

Yeah I think working into rotations can be tricky, took me a bit to get used to it in affliction but as far as keeping the buff up the numbers get tricky since it's not just 1gcd vs another's dmg, the haste ups the dmg of all the dots and all ticking, plus would give you a shorter cast time for the next sf if you time it right. As affliction without sf was doing 9-10k and with it getting 11-12k on heroic 5m bosses in 333's and 308's so it definately helps in affliction at least. Not so sure about demo cause you got alot of procs to watch as it is.

Deleted
    I'm not sure, but my fellow guildies (as demonology) hits for very high damage at 85 on soulfire, compared to their shadowbolt :-)

15+ Year Old Account
    You are forgetting to match your denominators in your basic math equation.

In order for there to be a true comparison, you need to have an equal footing. DPS is a measure of damage over time so you either can compare Damage or you can compare Time, not both at once.

Soul Fire casts faster than Shadow Bolt. So you divide SF by it's cast time and compare that to SB divided by it's cast time.

Soul Fire wins this every time.

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 02:04 PM ----------

For another ridiculous math comparison, calculating dps between spells is pretty much the same as "Two trains leave two stations at the same time, one travels X distance in Y speed and the other travels A distance in B speed. Which one arrives at the destination last?"

R.I.P. YARG

wait, whats this about crocodiles??

Deleted
    Watch out! Teh crocs are eatin' up ya spells, mon!

Ok...btt:

First off: Soul Fire applies the improved soulfire - buff.

Second off: Specced "Decimation"? Good, so look at this:

Shadowbolts Casttime is 2.5 sec if you specced into Bane.... and I'm quite sure you have.

Soul Fires Casttime is 3 sec if you specced into Emberstorm .... and I'm quite sure you have.

If you look at the raw numbers of your 27k SB and 20k Soul Fire ..yeah, SB is better. I'm not using any haste here, since haste affects them both the same way.

So SB does 27k for 2,5 sek casttime, which is 10,8k dps.
    Soul Fire does 20k for 3 sek casttime, which is 6,66666....k dps (eeeeevil number, dude!)

=> SB is better... but:

Decimation reduces the casttime of Soul Fire by 40%, if the enemy is below 25% Hp. At this magical number things look like this:

SB does still 27k for 2,5 sek casttime... still 10,8k dps.
    Soul Fire does 20k for 1,8 sek casttime (1,2 sek are 40% of 3 sek) ... which is 11,111111....k dps.

Summary: Soul Fires only use above 25% is applying the ISF-Buff. Under 25% it crits lower, but has a higher dps than SB AND applies the ISF-Buff.

=> Sometimes a machinegun is better than a cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shag View Post
    Watch out! Teh crocs are eatin' up ya spells, mon!

Ok...btt:

First off: Soul Fire applies the improved soulfire - buff.

Second off: Specced "Decimation"? Good, so look at this:

Shadowbolts Casttime is 2.5 sec if you specced into Bane.... and I'm quite sure you have.

Soul Fires Casttime is 3 sec if you specced into Emberstorm .... and I'm quite sure you have.

If you look at the raw numbers of your 27k SB and 20k Soul Fire ..yeah, SB is better. I'm not using any haste here, since haste affects them both the same way.

So SB does 27k for 2,5 sek casttime, which is 10,8k dps.
    Soul Fire does 20k for 3 sek casttime, which is 6,66666....k dps (eeeeevil number, dude!)

=> SB is better... but:

Decimation reduces the casttime of Soul Fire by 40%, if the enemy is below 25% Hp. At this magical number things look like this:

SB does still 27k for 2,5 sek casttime... still 10,8k dps.
    Soul Fire does 20k for 1,8 sek casttime (1,2 sek are 40% of 3 sek) ... which is 11,111111....k dps.

Summary: Soul Fires only use above 25% is applying the ISF-Buff. Under 25% it crits lower, but has a higher dps than SB AND applies the ISF-Buff.

=> Sometimes a machinegun is better than a cannon.
    the above math is correct, but you might want to add the ISF buff to the 40% reduced casttime, wich makes it even more clear, that soulfire will leave shadowbolt very very far behind on the 25% mark.

Deleted
    soul fire hits for way more than sadow bolt for me. but i really don´t use it that much because of all procs and stuff (i have insta sadow bolt glyph, so it´s one more).

My SF hits for 27.9k and SB for 24.3k on Lord Gofrey heroic.

Having said that, SB then hit 29.6K on another attempt and SF 28.4K and I was spamming SF at the end with Decimation.
    Last edited by Naoto; 2010-12-14 at 11:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadros View Post
    the above math is correct, but you might want to add the ISF buff to the 40% reduced casttime, wich makes it even more clear, that soulfire will leave shadowbolt very very far behind on the 25% mark.
    If you're doing it right, SB will be benefitting from the ISF buff continously as well.