Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wicker View Post
    u get over power proc from rend so yes we can still use it.. keeping rend up is never a problem use it once hit thunder clap resets it even if deterrence is up

at 1 time we could glyph for overpower so we got it when parryed 2
    Taste for Blood: This effect will not occur more than once every 5 sec.

Yeah I see how this is Overpower spamfest.

---------- Post added 2010-12-18 at 12:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Djolisimo View Post
    Deterrence is a great skill and hunters are great class, the problem is that too many
    noobs are playing it (such as op) and they have no clue about anything.
    Yeah, you see a death coil flying, you Ice Block ― death coil denied. That's a win in my book.
    You see a death coil flying, you Detterence ― death coil accepted. That's a fail in my book.

Correct me if im wrong, but its a physical spell right? Meaning that unlike palla bubble, it cannot be dispelled.

But oh wait, hunters want an ability that better than what evryone else has, right? Ofc...
    Yes, it also lasts 5 seconds, both Divine Shield and Ice Block last a bit longer. We also need to have a melee weapon equipped to use Deterrence and we also need in control of our character, such as not be stunned, unlike Divine Shield or Ice Block which works - and clears! - all harmful effects (with special exceptions). We can't perform any direct attacks while Deterrence is up either. What's wrong with wanting an ability that works like the tooltip describes for 5 seconds?
    Last edited by Frazzle.d; 2010-12-18 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo gremlins
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

its annoying for melee

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzorz View Post
    When you duel thousands of times, you begin to see how classes are played, and you can anticipate the enemy's next action (because they often have a kind of rotation depending on their CD and the situation).

For example, a warlock will often start to lay dots on you. With experience, you'll be popping deterrence just before the warlock gets in range, and thus reflecting (if SV) his own dots on him.

It's not used defensively in this case, and it's a good thing, because against a warlock popping deterrence later only delays your death.

That'll give you an advantage because :
    1) most hunters don't do that
    2) the warlock will be confused (what is happening ? it doesn't happen like that usually ! Why are my dots on me ???)
    3) His perfect rotation will be screwed, and panic will definitely help you
    4) Needless to say, you greatly increase your dps with dots while decreasing damage taken

That was a very specific 1v1 situation where you can definitely make great use of deterrence, just by changing the very opening of a fight, gaining strategical advantages for the *real* start of the fight (you're full focus & life, all CD up, while warlock is a bit confused & dotted).

I'm pretty sure there are other situations where it can be a great help (pvp wise).

It's definitely not a "I win" button like other classes might have, but with a fine analysis of exactly when it is the most usefull against each class, you'll start enjoying using it (especially because other classes are not used to seeing hunter making good use of it, making them quite unprepared to dealing with a clever use of it).

My 2 cents ^^
    You're off to a good start, but a bit sketchy information. First of all Deterrence is a defensive cooldown (obviously, hurr..) and as such it's never 'cut and dry' when to use it. Personally, if you came running at my Warlock with it up already, I would just wait it out. You're not going to be able to do anything meaningful to me while it's up anyway. So yes, most Hunters don't do that, probably because it accomplishes nothing. Second of all, not all Warlocks are Affliction, and other than Immolate, won't necessarily always be putting a series of DoTs on you, and even if he were well.. he'd know it was pointless to cast DoTs on the Hunter while deterrence was up, and if not and his first DoT got reflected back at him, he wouldn't be confused, he would just say "Oh. This Hunter is Survival. Let's wait 5 seconds," and well.. if you've got a Warlock that just yells "WHAT DO?!" and keeps trying, getting stuff reflected at him, well then he's such a bad player his own keyboard is probably punching him in the face, and you won't have to do anything to him anyway.

In any case. It's a very rare moment you're going to use any player's DoTs against him(or her), or cause any sort of panic, unless you already have the lock close to dead (which of course isn't the case if you popped it right off the bat). The one time where reflecting stuff can be useful, is as others have said, with timing it right. Popping it right as someone is getting a big spell off. For example, popping it right before someone finishes a Lava Burst cast, and reflecting that back at them. Once they see the yellow "Reflect" they're going to stop casting, unless they're stupid, in which case you've already won. You can also get overzealous Destruction Warlocks, because personally I love when a BM or MM Hunter pops Deterrence and I just nail 'em with Chaos Bolt. They're usually popping it when they're low, so you nail 'em with that and your Immolate or whatever will finish them off. Sometimes, however, you get a surprise and they are actually Survival, and you get to eat your own spell. That is of course what you get for not paying attention to getting hit with Explosive Shot before and not realizing they're Surv.

(Also, if you did manage to partially, or even fully DoT up a Warlock with his own spells, he could just use Shadow Ward, and absorb a good amount of the damage from said DoTs anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    You know this information how? I suppose you work for blizzard and are the aforementioned person of no importance.
    Look just because you feel that hunters have holes does not equate to Blizzard hating hunters.
    Deterrence is actually pretty amazing if you take a few minutes to think about it. If you pvp as BM it's actually even more useful, since you can Kill Command while using it. It's not meant to be a pallys bubble, or even a mages iceblock. It may not be on par with the skills other classes possess but it is not useless in the least bit.
    If you actually cared watching blizzcon and reading post from blizz you would know....

Deleted
    I barely play PvP so I'll just give my PvE thoughts here: best example I can come up with in 5 seconds is using Deterrence on 3rd or 4th Omega Stance during the Anraphet fight in HoO. Your healer is gonna love you.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can also take it off your bar
    I'll second that as good advice.

Deterrence isn't useless for 100% of the people, 100% of the time, but I have yet to find a way to make it work for me regularly. Maybe one day I'll use it more to its full potential, but right now it's relegated to a hard-to-reach spot on my bar, unlikely to ever be used.

Deterrence is a great skill and hunters are great class, the problem is that too many
    I top meters in dungeons at 15k with 340 i level, care to add anything to the topic or ya just gonna call people noobs some more?

Anyone who says Deterrence is useless has obviously never had a Mage spam Arcane Blast on your Mirrored Blades and three hit themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Barash View Post
    That's retarded, you have to be able to read their mind for that since it doesn't deflect shit thats already in the air.

I WILL SAY IT ONE MORE TIME

Hunters have tons of tiny holes that aren't even addressed because no one of importance at Blizzard plays a hunter.
    Wait what?!!
    You have to read their mind to be able to reflect a casted spell? How bad reaction time do you have rly? :P
    Deterrence is awesome.

To the people who obviously still don't get the mechanic on deterrence and spel reflects yet after many years: Spells that have allready been finished casted before you hit deterrence WILL hit. jeez

---------- Post added 2010-12-19 at 02:29 PM ----------

As a hunter myslef, THIS x 1000

---------- Post added 2010-12-19 at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deviltreh View Post
    Taste for Blood: This effect will not occur more than once every 5 sec.

Yeah I see how this is Overpower spamfest.

---------- Post added 2010-12-18 at 12:37 PM ----------

Yeah, you see a death coil flying, you Ice Block ― death coil denied. That's a win in my book.
    You see a death coil flying, you Detterence ― death coil accepted. That's a fail in my book.
    Why should it work? they are not the same spell. What is the point in this?

---------- Post added 2010-12-19 at 02:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DatsFunny View Post
    I top meters in dungeons at 15k with 340 i level, care to add anything to the topic or ya just gonna call people noobs some more?
    I don't think he was talking about PvE.
    Meh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifee View Post
    Wait what?!!
    You have to read their mind to be able to reflect a casted spell? How bad reaction time do you have rly? :P
    Deterrence is awesome.

To the people who obviously still don't get the mechanic on deterrence and spel reflects yet after many years: Spells that have allready been finished casted before you hit deterrence WILL hit. jeez
    Actually that's completely incorrect. Only Deterrence does not work with mid-air spells.

Warrior's Spell Reflection and Mage's Ice Block, Shaman Grounding Totem, Death Knight AMS and AMZ, Paladin Divine Shield work against mid-air spells. You actually take this completely for granted when playing these classes (yes, I had one of each to 80 except rogue post patch 4.0). It is also VERY useful.

Hunter's Deterrence is still ok for a Shaman LB cast if they've already dotted you up with FS to avoid the guaranteed crit or a Mage's Frostbolt spam (if they ever use these still since most of their highest damage abilities are instants which they use on opening) or Arcane Mage (if you're lucky enough to meet one in pvp) or lock's few casted spells. However, for this and other reasons, as already discussed in this thread, it is luckluster even as SV, though it can be situationally very useful then.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-12-19 at 01:40 PM.

Deleted
    That's retarded, you have to be able to read their mind for that since it doesn't deflect shit thats already in the air.

Hunters have tons of tiny holes that aren't even addressed because no one of importance at Blizzard plays a hunter.
    I'm not sure I'd call it retarded considering it's pretty easy to "for see" a lava burst coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Actually that's completely incorrect. Only Deterrence does not work with mid-air spells.

Warrior's Spell Reflection and Mage's Ice Block, Shaman Grounding Totem, Death Knight AMS and AMZ, Paladin Divine Shield work against mid-air spells. You actually take this completely for granted when playing these classes (yes, I had one of each to 80 except rogue post patch 4.0). It is also VERY useful.

Hunter's Deterrence is still ok for a Shaman LB cast if they've already dotted you up with FS to avoid the guaranteed crit or a Mage's Frostbolt spam (if they ever use these still since most of their highest damage abilities are instants which they use on opening) or Arcane Mage (if you're lucky enough to meet one in pvp) or lock's few casted spells. However, for this and other reasons, as already discussed in this thread, it is luckluster even as SV, though it can be situationally very useful then.
    you couldn't be more wrong:P
    Warriors spell reflect does NOT work vs spells that are in mid air, never have and never will. Period ! end of discussion! Finito! :P
    Oh and NEITHER does grounding totem. Never have, never will. Same mechanic. I don't know what game you've been playing but....nopes...
    Meh

Deleted

LOL, most retarded thing ive heard in a while now.
    You sir win the price.
    The level of the conversation in this thread is similar to utter bollocks...

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzorz View Post
    That'll give you an advantage because :
    1) most hunters don't do that
    2) the warlock will be confused (what is happening ? it doesn't happen like that usually ! Why are my dots on me ???)
    3) His perfect rotation will be screwed, and panic will definitely help you
    4) Needless to say, you greatly increase your dps with dots while decreasing damage taken
    this advantage only works on a noob or an idiot. experienced players don't "panic" especially when casters are so used to dealing with spell reflect.

Or, you can see that they are casting Lava Burst and throw up deterrence at the last moment so they can't cancel the cast and get it back in their face, or even preemptively pop it if you know that they'll be about to cast an instant Lava Burst. It's extremely easy to tell when it's about to happen, too.

My one and only issue with deterrence is that kidney shot goes through it, which is pretty silly, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WillFeral View Post
    All Blizz needs to do is make this just like every other class that has a type of shield,bubble,etc. is allow this to work even after the spell has been cast,until then its just luck if you happen to pop it right before the cast or the other player is bad and has no idea what fake casting is...yea fake casting is what makes deterrence USELESS! Fix it blizz or just get rid of it.
    Not every class's bubble feature works correctly CoS for example the ammount of times ive been hit through a CoS or on a Vanish :S so frustrating.

I love overpowering through your deterrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobblish View Post
    If you actually cared watching blizzcon and reading post from blizz you would know....
    Please show me the post where it says no one at blizzard plays a hunter. I have yet to see solid evidence of this. So source away!

The thread title is worthless, but deterrence is broken in that it doesn't stop attacks in flight. It needs to be changed and there is no valid counterargument to that. As far as bickering about opinions unrelated to that fact, use your brain and make use of the ability best you can until it's improved.