Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do dungeons to level?

To me it seems like there's almost no point in doing dungeons to level unless you REALLY despise questing. I find it ridiculous that they made dungeons almost useless in my eyes. On my new warlock, whom I am in the process of leveling, I did Wailing Caverns at level 16-18 or something like that. I picked up 3 quests inside Wailing Caverns and I want to say it took us.. about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours and I got the exp from the dungeon plus the quests. I wasn't too bothered at first that I only got 1500 exp from each of the dungeon quests... Until I went outside of the dungeon, completed a quest that wasn't an ending quest or anything, it was just a normal collection quest, and got 2000 exp.

Does anyone else feel like there's almost no point in doing dungeons now that they nerfed the quests to hell? In my opinion half the reason you do a dungeon is to do the quests because they gave massive amounts of exp. Now I feel like there's no point because I could continue on doing my easy quests and getting 500 more exp per quest rather then waste my time in the dungeon queues only to perhaps get a terrible group and lackluster exp.

I do realize half the reason you do dungeons is to get gear, but with they speed at which toons level with heirlooms the gear you get from dungeon and dungeon quests aren't that much better then the regular gear and they aren't really worth the time.

TL;DR - Dungeon Quests give 1500 exp at ~ level 18 and regular quests give about 2000 exp.

I might be the only one experiencing this but it just seems odd. I can understand them nerfing them because before hand it was like 5000 exp per quest for the dead mines quests...

I have a goblin shaman at lvl 60 now and your pretty much right. Theres no reason to do the dungeons right now (lvl 1-60) if your sole concern is speed. Even if you get a group of all heirloom people and you go at a decently fast pace and do all the quests, your still not going to do better than questing. Questing from like lvl 10 and above really improved. They made all the quests fairly easy and made it so you don't have to travel a whole lot. A lot of the zones also use phasing so I didn't even run into many people and I play on a high pop server.

Dungeons do give you a fair bit of blue gear, though from my experience its not a huge benefit over the quest items anymore. The new quest items 1-60 really improved. The quest items will actually give decent stats like haste/crit/primary stat (no more weird spirit+strength plate rewards)

I personally did all the dungeons once on my shaman to see how they changed them and to get the achievement for doing all the dungeons. I personally regret doing most of them. Questing is much faster and all of the dungeons will be a complete breeze for a lvl 85. I'd suggest doing ragefire chasm (if your alliance), stockades (if your horde), and ubrs as you level because ubrs can't be soloed and the others are hard to get to without the dungeon finder.

On a side note, for lvl 60-70, the BC dungeons are very easy and may even be faster than questing in most cases if you have a decent group. For lvl 70-80, the wotlk dungeons are definitely worth doing, especially if you have the quests for them.

Quote Originally Posted by choji7 View Post
    because ubrs can't be soloed
    What did they change in UBRS that makes it unsoloable?

Quote Originally Posted by What Do Now View Post
    To me it seems like there's almost no point in doing dungeons to level unless you REALLY despise questing.
    Here's a novel thought... how about doing them because they're FUN? It's an MMO... some of the people playing the game actually like to group up with other people and do something more than solo grind murloc toes and boar snouts. I tend to do one a day for the loot bag and it's usually gets me at least one other nice piece of gear (which of course... is another reason to do them... some nice gear).

EDIT: Oh and once additional thought... doing the dungeons as you level allows you to learn how to play your class in a group. If more people were to have done that as they leveled their class I doubt you would see quite as many people screaming about the noobs that are making heroics Cata dungeons impossible.
    Last edited by ent0mbed; 2010-12-16 at 05:11 AM.

Deleted
    I do 1-2 dungeon runs of each instance out there.

1. Because it's fun
    2. Because I hate being useless if the case would be I do a dungeon and I ain"t geared. (Yes even on low lvl gear matters, it makes huge difference)

Most of the time it is faster, when my priest was around level 20ish i would get 2 or 3 levels from WC and it would take less than an hour. Questing may or may not be faster than that depending on your personal playing style but alot of people like doing dungeons at least once for achievements and quests

---------- Post added 2010-12-15 at 09:03 PM ----------

And it gets u geared

I do them for fun and gear. The elites also give more experience from just killing than you get outside for normal mobs while questing so it weighs up for any less gotten from dungeon quests.
    In the darkness all cats are gray...
    www.onyxsoft.se - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better =)

I disagree. All the elite mobs and bosses give enough experience + quests and i even had to stop doing rdf caz i was outleveling my current zone. I think it depends on how good your group is and how fast you go through it. And also if you have a tank/healer offspec to get in queues faster.

Dungeoning atm is way faster than questing provided you have a decent group.

Haven't leveled an alt in cata, but I liked queuing for dungeons mostly because after whatever wait you had, it gave a nice break to the monotony of questing. The mobs themselves give good exp, don't look at dungeons as just dungeon quests.

So the dungeon quests give 1.5k.. and all the mobs you just killed gave you around 20k..'
    Hmm so that adds up to around 26k xp all in all(if i remeber it right there are 4 quests in WC)

Your math is wrong.
    You have to count all the extra xp you are getting from killing regular elite mobs aswell as the quests.

Cause I have no life, and I like it

10+ Year Old Account
    I think one good thing about doing the dungeons is to get the experience of being grouped with other people. Instead of hitting 85 and then learning to do it. Sure, sure, those of us who have been playing the game, know the basics, but it is still good practice. Especially if you have never played the class you are leveling before. But on another note, I think it can be fun and a good interruption to questing, giving a little bit of variety. Also, you do get some stuff out of it.
    You also get xp from killing the mobs, not just the quests.

Edit due to missing a word...
    Last edited by mindfulcorvus; 2010-12-16 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljungpung View Post
    So the dungeon quests give 1.5k.. and all the mobs you just killed gave you around 20k..'
    Hmm so that adds up to around 26k xp all in all(if i remeber it right there are 4 quests in WC)

Your math is wrong.
    You have to count all the extra xp you are getting from killing regular elite mobs aswell as the quests.
    You didn't read my whole post. I said I realized that you get exp from killing the mobs in the heroic. But in my honest opinion you get more exp doing the simple quests WHILE killing the simple mobs.

Leveling a warrior with no heirlooms like I am, it's worth doing a couple dungeons every 5 levels or so until you get a new blue weapon just for the difference it makes in questing speed.

I also find that dungeon xp gets more competitive the closer you get to 60. In lower zones like Stonetalon you're costing yourself tons of time by dungeoning.

I guess Blizzard just never wanted people to level solely on dungeons. You can do it if you want but it will take longer than mixing it with questing.

In my opinion I think Blizzard wants us to quest and do dungeons or battlegrounds as an addon and not just focus on one of them, after all they did spend a ton of time and work on those zones and quests, they don't want you to miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by cybermind View Post
    What did they change in UBRS that makes it unsoloable?
    Don't you still need multiple people to activate that thing thats towards the beginning of the instance? (I know, incredibly descriptive there lol)

Deleted
    UBRS was changed some time during wrath to allow soloing.

I used to lvl solely by way of instances. However, since the Shattering I now do both questing and instances. The instances these days tend to be more for gear, learning how to play the class in a group environment, and just to do something a little different for a change. I rarely do the same instance twice but in no way are instances pre-60 useless.

I always like to do quests to level but dungeons is fun and you can find some useful loot in there +good xp(not that good as quests reward you but good enough).

Yeah, I'm glad that they nerfed the xp. That way, people who only do dungeons for xp won't go in. That means that most of the folks who actually do dungeons.....do it because they want to. It makes for a better dungeon experience.

Dungeons give better loot than quests.