Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Bring the player not the class" does NOT seem to be working.

So, hot on the heels of reading on these forums the other day about people repeatedly booting healing priests from heroic dungeons because they didn't think they could handle them (tempered by the nerf to holy pallies more recently), I get this:

I'm a healer main spec but I'm visiting family and on a crappy computer that doesn't always work properly so I haven't been able to attempt to heal heroics yet. I ask my guild's healer who is online (a PRIEST, go figure) if he's going to go run a heroic because I would like to run with him as boomkin (which I've been running as until I can get back on my normal computer)...his response: "I don't think so, I'm trying to kill heroic bosses right now and boomkin CC isn't good enough for heroics."

This upset me and is obviously still upsetting me for many reasons. Blizzard stated that they want people to be able to bring the player and not the class to instances/heroics/raids. And yet, people are booting people as soon as they join simply for their class, or people are being told they don't get to go because they can't provide the most optimal CC. So basically, hunters/mages/rogues can do the same dps as a boomkin (or other sub-optimal CC class) and yet they can provide the best CC, so they're always chosen first to go to instances/heroics/raids. What Blizzard said they're trying to accomplish does not seem to be happening, and if people are doing this to members of their own guilds, what exactly are we supposed to do?

Troll response: re-roll?

un-troll response: that friend of yours, is a d*ck.

Deleted
    A good boomkin can CC 2 mobs, chaining cyclone and roots.

And no, you do not need 7 different types of CC for every instance. Some of them you don't even need CC in, but most you can handle with 1 or 2.

Deleted
    You cant really stop people from booting you , but you Cant get booted from the party for 15 minutes anyway so if you prove yourself in the first 15 minutes that you are capable then I see no reason why they would boot you even if your doing well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good point. As i play a mage and a shaman, i never have that problem. All i can say is just keep healing, go tank, or re roll :/

cc? barely used at all so far... some pulls in certain instances it eases the healers job a fair bit, but all in all you just need people to use their cds and single target burn the dangerous mobs...

10+ Year Old Account
    In a city on the back of a roaming colossus
    Honestly, most people are completely overreacting to this CC thing. I understand it's necessary, but it doesn't have to be every single party member able to CC. It's not like CCing all three or mobs then killing them one by one is the only possible way to go thru heroics.

At least you have some form of CC, (as in sleep beast? i think) I play a warrior
    "Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes." - Douglas Adams

Deleted
    the boomkin cant cc properly is pure BS,

Hibernate works on Dragonkin/Beasts, Then you have Roots which works for quite a while..
    so in places like Grim Batol you can SOLO CC TWO mobs on EACH PULL, thats equal to a Hunter (Frost trap + That one sting forgot the name), or a Shaman (Bind Elementals + Hex) So basically you have the same CC as a Shaman, just in diffrent places, ofc Ive seen stupid boomkins Rooting casters but yeah thats all about having at least 3 braincell's (breathing, wowing, CCing)

anyway, even without cc trash is doable with the right marks. and right priority on mobs.. T_T

just my 2cents.

P.S. If your guildhealer doesnt take you because your a boomkin, get a diffrent guild because that is BS.. T_T

Deleted
    boomkin has cyclone, which can be used as an emergency cc. you also got roots, which renders every melee useless, AND you got your sleep, which is helpful in many heroics as well.
    every class brings different cc for different kinds of mobs. overall boomkin is always very useful regarding their cc.

as written above, warrior for example has no cc that completely disables a mob. he only brings his aoe fear which is only useful when glyphed and has a limited duration
    Last edited by mmocd5f6a5c456; 2010-12-16 at 02:20 PM.

1: ive seen no booting according to class.
    2: most people forget root is a viable cc vs melee based mobs, provided you renew it on a regular enough basis
    3: you dont usually need to CC EVERY mob, and can comfortably have a player in the group who isn't CCing

basically, bring the player not the class was a indeal intended for raiding, but does still extend into heroics, people are just not used to THINKING in heroics. Plus, having guildies who are happy to take you along to a heroic despite any class shortcomings is normally nice.

i normally Run with a Warrior Tank, Hunter, Enhc shammy and Resto shammy (+ me, a DK)

so, we got ice trap, 2 hex's and 2 CCs that only work on elementals.

seeing as we rarely CC anything with Hex and only ever CC one mob with Ice Trap and me or the enhc shammy just sit on whatever caster trash is still up for inturrupts i can say that you definatly dont need a million types of CC, you just gotta have a brain.

Although, Havign a lock is awesome, Banish + Fear (glyphed, why you wouldnt have it i dunno) + Seduction, you can lock down 3 mobs with minimal Effort!

10+ Year Old Account
    <--Moonkin, i can Root, i can hibernate, i can silence, i can stun a few ways, i can offtank, i can off heal, i can supply the healer with innervate, i can cyclone and also provide the tank with thorns to improve his threat, all the while provide great DPS.

sooooooo your friend is not so bright imo.

Who needs cc when you can STARFALL!!

Seriously though, Roots & Hibernate are both really good ccs. Also cyclone for spot cc action.

And you say your friend is a priest... remind him that he gets innervate every three minutes, and see what he thinks about bringing you then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard's design and intention is for the most part fine. What Blizzard intends and what idiotic players do who assume things, are ignorant or shape their perspectives based on one experience (usually wherein they blame another party and they themselves are at the least partially to blame) will always be at odds with each other.

My personal heroic experience has been positive 4/5 times. My last heroic I was DPSing on my Warlock I would fear and banish targets, and the other warlocks didn't know how to control it's pet and had it's fel hunter chomping on almost every target it was assigned to CC. In other words, not every one who plays a class is the same thought the many ignorant players choose to think so.
    Last edited by Kelzam; 2010-12-16 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell your guildie to learn all the CC available. Druids have great CC, particularly in Grim Batrol.

Every class in this game besides DKs can bring something to the table in terms of crowd control. So I think unless you've got 4 DKs and a healer, any composition of classes will be able to do heroics (all other things being equal).
    Lightning Fast

You should have tried being a shaman in BC. So many groups i couldn't get in because of NO CC ability at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes! Those were pretty much my thoughts so thanks for your replies. I know that root being limited to stopping a melee mob from attacking but not stopping a caster from casting isn't equal to what a mage/hunter/rogue can do for CC but at the same time, I said to him, if people would just give me a target to root and give me a chance to root it my CC is plenty good enough to take and where there are dragonkin and beasts and not just humanoids I can sleep as well.

Maybe he's just been stressed out with healing heroics, who knows. All I know was I still upset that some people still have the mentality that people shouldn't be bringing certain classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only booting I have seen is baddies and tanks kicking other plate wearers. GTFO mah tank lewtzzzzz!!1!!!111

It sounds to me like your guildie needs to be educated on the crowd control a Druid has to offer.

1) Hibernate (on beasts and dragons)
    2) Entangling Roots (melee mobs, and there’s melee in every pull with very few exceptions)
    3) Cyclone (while this isn’t optimal since it doesn’t last very long and the diminishing returns are brutal, it’s perfectly acceptable if the mob is being killed second)

So if the Druid is skilled enough, they can effectively CC up to three targets in a single pull.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a healer I would like to give my 2 cents. Having one person who can cc is always needed ie hunter, mage, rogue, shaman. it is also nice to have a class like a warlock with glyphed fear or a good spriest with mind control. I do not usually like melee just because they always take more damage then range but good ones that use interrupts effectively deserve a spot because they actually save me more mana than i burn on them. It isnt really fair that some specs are getting the shaft right now because on a normal pull everyone ould usually rather have a rogue than a feral druid because they require less effort to execute a pull well, sap n single target while the feral might need to pop up root cycylone or skull bash. I do think blizz bring a player not the class thing is not working in cata dps needs to be cc class warrior tanks are kicked priest healers are kicked etc
    85 priest working on my dk next