Thread: fire mage mana?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    don't think my dps will be horrible by dropping 3 % crit to gain more fireball casts per fight.
    Meh

I had some problems with mana as a fire Mage till I read some things in this thread.

Yesterday I raided on Magmaw and killed him after 4 hours wiping.

I did use Mage armor and pulled a bit more then 12k DPS.
    There were no mana issues at all and my DPS was not that bad with my current gear but...

After respeccing and changing glyphs I tried molten armor with scorch rotation. Only selfbuffed I could keep spamming scorch, keeping living bomb up and using fire blast when it was off cooldown. Also hot streak procs are free pyroblasts so I could use that aswell.

Results were 11k DPS on dummy and I could run like a huntard by spamming scorch using instant spells and procs. I'm seriously loving it! The mana managment is way more interesting compared to arcane.

So yes I agree use Molten armor and spam scorch when you have to save mana. Of course use fireballs when you dont have to move and got enough mana.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    i was having similar mana issues as a fire mage as the OP and this thread was extremely helpful... cheers guys!

Can you idiots that have no idea what your talking about and have never heard of scorch weaving stop posting switch to Mage Armor.

All your doing it making yourself look stupid.

Good luck using Mage Armor on a fight like Atramedes which involves movement for 99% of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifee View Post
    don't think my dps will be horrible by dropping 3 % crit to gain more fireball casts per fight.
    You lose 5% crit, you'll have less Hot Streaks meaning less DPS and you'll lose the ability to do DPS while moving.

Still think it's worth it just so you can spam fireball instead of weaving scorch in?
    Last edited by DeiVias; 2010-12-21 at 03:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you also lose the ability to Scorch on the run.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

lol are you stupid?

Crit priority as fire... if you dont crit, you wont get pyroblast procs..

intelligence is needed gain in some.

and molten armor is used for a reason...

10+ Year Old Account
    With a decent enough crit, Scorch is actually not that much of a DPS loss. There are actually fights where I can do more DPS spamming scorch instead of fireball simply because of the Hot Streak procs. Granted, this is if I'm incredibly lucky with crits. I've gotten to the point I will Scorch every time I refresh Living Bomb, for most fights this is all the Scorch-weaving I need to keep mana.

Anyone who says to use Mage Armor just really is wrong. The loss of crit and the ability to cast on the run is just too much to lose, especially considering weaving in a couple Scorches from time to time is just quicker chances at Hot Streak procs.
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2010-12-21 at 10:06 AM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    5% (3+2) since you also use the Molten Armor glyph.

Ye I think I failed at this, sry:P
    Meh

10+ Year Old Account
    dont use mage armor... period

Keep in mind that Molten Armor is 5% crit and with it taking 179.28 points of crit to equal 1% of crit and each point is worth 2.48 dps not using Molten Armor is a loss of 2223.071 DPS. So not using it is definitely not a good idea just based on this; and counting in the loss of mobility that loss of damage would probably double with as movement intensive as a lot of these fights are.

179.28 x 5 x 2.48 = 2223.071

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Molten armor is the way to go but only if that player is smart enough to not burn all their mana right away.