Thread: DK Tank

10+ Year Old Account

DK Tank

I am myself not a DK tank but we were doing Halfius and every strategy that we came up with didn't matter what he was tanking if it was a drake, halfius or drake/boss he would seriously die in like next to no time once his CDs dropped off the would just drop because the healers can't afford to use expensive heals on such a heavy damage fight but out pally tank had NO problem tanking anyway we put him I was wondering if this was a player issue or just class issue because if we need progress this DK tank needs replacing or just some help :/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../dawn/advanced (pally tank)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%A5rs/advanced (dk tank)

I have no idea on what stats are good for either class but just wondering if anyone could help us out in bit of a ditch :/
    Last edited by SoulJnr; 2010-12-17 at 04:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by msully View Post
    The writing around him tells us he's a great warchief, but his actions don't match it.

For example, on the blimp ride to Twilight Highlands, he sends his air defenses after the Alliance, leaving the blimps open to attach by Twilight Dragons.

Unfortunately, he survived.

His gearing is absolutely abysmal. First off, he's using a Nightmare's Tear in his Sigil, which is terrible for a tank, and always will be. It should be a Stam gem. Also, at this point in the game, Expertise isn't important unless threat is a problem, especially with the changes to Parry (no longer Parry hastes). He needs to reforge all of that Expertise to Mastery, and keep his Dodge and Parry close to the same (if Dodge is greater, some of it should be reforged to Mastery). All yellow sockets should be Stam/Mastery, and Reds should be either Stam or Stam/Parry.

Also, he can pick up a WotLK Meta (the bonus to it is worth more than nothing, 2% armor is a reduction). If damage is really a problem, he should also enchant ALL of his gear. His DPS head needs to be changed as well, there's a pretty good blue one that BS's can make (Hardened Obsidium Helm).

Due to his Expertise stacking, he's at a whopping 6% Dodge and 12% Parry, while your Paladin is at 12% Dodge, 11% Parry, and 44% Block.

tl;dr the DK needs to learn his stuff or take the boot.
    Last edited by Rakudjo; 2010-12-17 at 12:15 AM.
    Thanks Soko<3

His mastery is really, really low. Mastery is very important for DK tanks, you become your own personal Disc Priest. Also, reforging expertise? Until they nerf vengeance (read: soon), threat is a non-issue. Just like Rakudjo said, he should be reforging mastery.

seems to be wearing an awful lot of dps gear also. this guy looks like a gear hog.. LOOK DAWG PLATE GEARS need need need need. maybe he should pay attention to stats instead of the pretty purple color
    Last edited by Angryshammy; 2010-12-17 at 12:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks ill post this to him
    Quote Originally Posted by msully View Post
    The writing around him tells us he's a great warchief, but his actions don't match it.

For example, on the blimp ride to Twilight Highlands, he sends his air defenses after the Alliance, leaving the blimps open to attach by Twilight Dragons.

Unfortunately, he survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakudjo View Post
    especially with the changes to Parry (no longer Parry hastes).
    As far as I know there are NO changes to parry haste.

They were contemplating turning parry into a mitigation stat in Cat (attacks parried would do 50% damage and reduce the next attack by 50%) but kept it as avoidance.

Whether or not parry haste is turned on for bosses, that's where when your attacks are parried by a boss it reduces the boss swing timer by 1/2, I don't know.

Parry haste for players though, where when you parry an attack your swing timer is reduced by 1/2, has never been turned off.

The rest of what you say I agree, the guy definitely needs to not be reforging off his mastery or avoidance stats.

I think your friend needs to do some serious research on his own about the spec. There's a long list of problems that need to be solved with his spec, glyphs, gems, enchants (or lack thereof) et cetera.

Quick tips:

Blood tanks mostly spec Lichborne now.

Glyph of Heart Strike and Rune Strike are basically not optional, third is probably Death Strike or Death Coil depending on what you want from it (I use Death Strike).

Mastery and Expertise are good enough stats and socket bonuses are good enough that gemming them to get socket bonuses and activate metas is worthwhile. Translation: stop buying pure stamina gems for every single socket, you don't need to do that now.

Northrend enchants and meta gems still work. Put an old Austere Earthsiege in that hat. Go buy your shoulder enchant from Hodir and your hat enchant from Argent Crusade if you can't get the new ones yet.

Upgrade that hat. There's a tanking hat rep reward at revered from Dragonmaw if I remember correctly. They even have dailies.

Advise him to do some Googling, check Elitist Jerks, et cetera.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
    Death Coil
    You might wanna rethink that one.

Dear Blizz. Please put Crumpets into the game.

Deleted
    did you even check his gear before he came? i'm not sure if i'm more shocked at how bad his gear/enchants/gems/reforging is or the fact that you let him tank anything.

i would give him some tips but it was pretty much all said in the first post. tell him to follow exactly what he said, and providing he has some sense, he should be tanking everything ez mode anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Datachi View Post
    You might wanna rethink that one.
    Not really, read what he put.

Spec Lichborne, glyph Death Coil, 15% more healing and 20RP back.. Where mana is really needed, self heals go a long way.. yes please.

Deleted
    Try to check his hps. I had 12k+ the first 30-60 seconds of the fight. I fougth a dragon+wyrmie until we killed the other drake we released, which the offtank held. It's abselutly required by him to get the most of his Death Strikes, which can crit heal for 48k, and make a shield for 48k (currently 103% shield as mastery). 100k "migrated" by one instant "spell" is a lot, and then adding a few of them every second. So, mastery ftw

Also, if tanking two drakes/wyrmies, using cds wisely and having one drake killed before you run out of them, is kinda important. Atleast with my gear, you'd get to a point where you just die without. (Seems like I have 10k more hp than the DK you linked in armory, to compare)
    Last edited by mmoc987cc13f6a; 2010-12-17 at 02:05 AM.

dks can tank ?

you can post? -Nye
    Last edited by Nyanmaru; 2010-12-17 at 02:09 PM.
    For the Glory of Mankind