Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Obviously I understand this, but it seemed to me that you were diregarding the idea without exploring the merits of incorporating it so i thought i'd contribute.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know that it has been explored before by admins and such who run MMO-Champ, and that's the reason why we have Scrapbot. While I personally don't care if my name is shown or not on bans / warnings / whatever, all it takes is one person who doesn't want to be shown for it to be a reasonable idea. People on the internet tend to be far more aggressive and less reasonable than they would normally be in a face-to-face social setting and the initial anger / frustration of being banned usually takes hold and they want to lash out at someone because they themselves broke the rules. The most obvious recipients of said anger would be the person who banned them; the person who doesn't deserve their anger.

We do see where your intentions come from, but with such a big community it's hard to get to know many people on that sort of level. I know what you mean, I used to (and still do) admin for a CS:S/TF2/L4D community and have met many, many people over the years, some of whom I have banned for some reason or another in the past. With a site as large as this, you just don't get that interaction.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    As i said, the majority of people i have banned have not expressed any anger towards me. It's quite rare to be flamed for warning or temp banning someone in my experience and if you do get flamed then it helps you sort the wheat from the chaff. I'd rather someone flamed me so i could deal with it and the person before he flamed someone else.

15+ Year Old Account
    While that may be true, you are missing the differences between a gaming community (referring to yours) and a full-fledged forum (MMO-Champion). Unless you do something bad here it's not a 1-strike deal, we have a system. If they want to come back and flame again, they are free to do that but have to live with the consequences.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    There are many similarities between www.twinkinfo.com and mmo. We do have active forums and discussion boards. It really is a downsized version of MMO in many ways. We also use an infraction system, Im not entirely sure how MMO does it, but with us too many strikes will result in increasingly lengthy bans. Anyway my point is that the earlier the trolls learn that flaming is not acceptable the better, and i'd rather they learn that with me as a test dummy than in a serious discussion thread.

Anyway, I'm not really trying to influence mmo in either direction, Im just pointing out its merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithrowmagicz View Post
    Woah, there's a warning message you could be sent?
    ... Anyways, mods, I know you're doing your job, but can you guys lighten up a little?
    ^^ This ...

I made a few replies in a thread and I admit I was a bit "harsh", but not nearly as harsh as I could have been. Did I get a warning? No ... I got a two week ban right off the bat. I appealed and but it did no good. That tends to happen to mods that are overworked / not well trained. They tend to give bans where warnings would suffice ... or warnings where bans were warranted.

In my case, fairly new user, not many posts, arguing with one idiot that had his head up his excrement orifice, posting useful information but in a fairly harsh manner ... in my case it was pretty clear a commuting the ban to a warning, or lessening the duration would have done the job.

Didn't happen, and as such the only real way to deal with that is to just not visit / participate in the discussions. Don't know why I am even posting this as I used to run a fairly large mod team and I understand far to well what happens when "the community" starts to be viewed as "problems" to be dealt with in droves instead of individual people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sidebar View Post
    I used to run a fairly large mod team and I understand far to well what happens when "the community" starts to be viewed as "problems" to be dealt with in droves instead of individual people.
    I am a very legalistic person and probably one of the more black and white of the new mods. By and large, the new mods are much nicer, from what I've seen in the ban appeals.

However, most of the appeals I've seen go through won on the strength of the argument that either the infraction was improperly given for something out of context or that an infraction better fit a lesser category. Not too many people have won an appeal because they were "bad" or "new" and wont do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

15+ Year Old Account
    Going to close this with a quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Meh, I dont really care anymore, your moderators are at the best of times incompitent fucktards who can for all I care, die. Heh, we are all going to die anyways right so whats the point in postponing it? Ye, fuck you, go jump off a bridge.

Ye, and I dont give a fuck scrap bot - I have never heared of anyone whether they were wrongly banned or not getting unbanned by making a good appeal so why should I? Go fuck yourself you comeplete cunt so go shove your messege up your virtual arse'.

AND OOOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - Nice that the word 'idiot' can be construed as flaming, grow up you wankers your not 7 are you? Ha, dont answer that, I dont want you to embarass yourself.
    See, people can get angry in ban appeals. That's why we have Scrapbot instead of the moderator's name.
    If you have issues with particular mods, use the ban appeal system or contact an admin (red name) via PM or on IRC (see link in sig).