Armor, avoidance or stam?

Hello, I've looked around on the interwebs and I'm either blind or just blind.
    I've not started doing any raids yet, and before I do I would like to know if I should go for high armor, loads of avoidance or health?
    In LK I was hogging armor like nuts, depending on each fight.

It's not like I will ignore any of them, but at the moment I've got the following stats:

Dodge: 11.85%
    Parry: 10.21%
    Block: 38.58%
    Armor: 36504 (no gametime atm, but devotion aura gives around 4000 more, so with that I'm above 40k)
    Health: 141501

I read somewhere that you should aim for the 102.4 (can't remember exactly, but you get the point) in terms of avoidance, but what about armor?

My real question to those who raid would be; how important is armor? Can you get away with low armor and go with more stamina instead?

Hope I made it clear, my thoughts usually are foggy ^^

-Shathïr

armor will come with ilvl and a good shield. So with better gear, you will get better armor.
    For now, try to get as much mastery as possible. 38% is low, you can get 45% pretty easily if you reforge some stats and gem stam+ mastery. That will help mitigate raw dmg, especially when tanking more than 1 mob.
    Last edited by ragingsoul; 2010-12-18 at 05:28 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by ragingsoul View Post
    armor will come with ilvl and a good shield. So with better gear, you will get better armor.
    For now, try to get as much mastery as possible. 38% is low, you can get 45% pretty easily. That will help mitigate raw dmg, especially when tanking more than 1 mob.
    Essentially this. Mastery Mastery Mastery. It's so beautiful for prot paladins/warriors right now.

Ah, I read somewhere that it's a waste to go over 30% block...
    I've yet to reforge any items, and I haven't really fixed my enchants or gems yet. I'll try to get loads of mastery then

Has anyone seen anything in the actual raids? The importance of high armor contra high health?

My tank upped his Mastery, I was a happy healer.

How the hell are you, a pally, at 40k armor when my feral druid is at 31k armor?

try to keep dodge and parry rating at the same level, if u have more parry rating that dodge reforge to mastery etc.

about 102.4% taken from elitist jerks

The Rule of 102.4%
    Where is this 102.4% number coming from? The number represents your total avoidance...

BM = Base Miss chance of 5%, DC = Dodge Chance as displayed on your character, PC = Parry Chance as displayed on your character, BC = Block Chance as displayed on your character

If you are wondering where Holy Shield is remember that the talent has been changed to provide a bonus to block damage reduction instead of block chance.

full coverage on prot pala http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110338-...3_2010_4_0_3a/

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    How the hell are you, a pally, at 40k armor when my feral druid is at 31k armor?
    The other tank in my guild says the same, he's really mad at me :P
    May I ask how you work around that problem, Iceberg265? The feral in my guild is dying really easy and that isn't really what you want as a tank...

Any tips you could share?

102.4% was the number I was talking about in my first post, thank you Nickolas

*edit*
    Wait what, that's the number I wrote on the first post :P
    Last edited by Shathïr; 2010-12-18 at 07:28 PM.

Deleted
    i got it from the pala tank website, but put this as a macro:
    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+15))

shows what % your at

Edit: (I'll use proper grammer this time) I understand it's not really much relevance to the thread, however, I found the macro to be very usefull to see just how close I am.
    Last edited by mmoc284c7b5c2c; 2010-12-18 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anti View Post
    i got it from the pala tank website, but put this as a macro:
    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+15))

shows what % your at
    That's the old one. The 15 is gone now. it's just dodge+parry+block+5% miss chance.

btw, crosspoint to reforge to mastery is
    8.9705% dodge
    10.139% parry
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...wtopic#p627737

That's the point where 1 mastery point will give you more mitigation than pure avoidance, due to DR.
    So aim for about 10% parry and dodge, and put the rest to mastery.
    Last edited by ragingsoul; 2010-12-18 at 08:09 PM.
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

That's the old one. The 15 is gone now. it's just dodge+parry+block+5% miss chance.

btw, crosspoint to reforge to mastery is
    8.9705% dodge
    10.139% parry
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...wtopic#p627737

That's the point where 1 mastery point will give you more mitigation than pure avoidance, due to DR.
    So aim for about 10% parry and dodge, and put the rest to mastery.
    that's right , 15 was the block chance from the old holy shield.

haven't dig it much, but at this point 102.4% avoidance is unreachable with gear from normals,
    get this values, more mastery and a good healer who don't go oom after every pull and go for heroics :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolas View Post
    that's right , 15 was the block chance from the old holy shield.

haven't dig it much, but at this point 102.4% avoidance is unreachable with gear from normals,
    get this values, more mastery and a good healer who don't go oom after every pull and go for heroics :P
    Healers stop running out of mana when you get high avoidance and dps stop standing in fires... has almost nothing to do with the healer at all =\

Quote Originally Posted by Drekor View Post
    Healers stop running out of mana when you get high avoidance and dps stop standing in fires... has almost nothing to do with the healer at all =\
    It's not avoidance, it's mitigation. Tanks only have around 11% parry and 13% dodge at the best right now. The difference is mastery, that increase your chance to block 40% of the dmg.

Block makes the difference but it's not avoidance.

Thanks for all the input, I'll make sure I'll land on about 10% parry and dodge, and put the rest to mastery. It's probably what I would have done even if I had not asked this community for advice anyways!

Loads of thanks,
    Shathïr

It's not avoidance, it's mitigation. Tanks only have around 11% parry and 13% dodge at the best right now. The difference is mastery, that increase your chance to block 40% of the dmg.

Block makes the difference but it's not avoidance.
    Doesn't block reduce 30% of dmg? Atleast thats what my char screen tells me

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Doesn't block reduce 30% of dmg? Atleast thats what my char screen tells me
    Holy Shield adds 10%. BTW it should be up 100% of the time.
    There is also a new Meta Gem now which increases block value by 5%

I can see a nerf coming for Protection paladins soon, :/ If mastery is that good it will probably be adjusted abit.

Deleted
    Mastery is fucking awesome for Prot Paladins and Warriors, im reforging pretty much all my dodge into Mastery and gemming stam+mastery (currently gemming parry+mastery, not that awesome I know).