Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cant even remember the name of the first addon I used for healing, back in tbc, there was these stupid boxes that you could move around and they had a raid/party members name on them. It was so stupid on raids cause when ever someone moved the groups even abit it all got messed up... It didnt have anykinda showing who is in range and who is not, I so remember getting mad often with it : D

My choice for healing addon ever since, has been healbot. I simply love it. Its so easy to use
    and the way I see it I can do everything with it.
    see the debuffs on people and who needs dispelling, and what kinda dispelling : )

I do know plenty of people who dont like it, but for me and my toons I have found it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLFluenT View Post
    Who wants to make this already easy game, even easier?
    I always find it puzzling when people who obviously haven't done all of the hardest content call this game easy.

I don't mind when people wish to use no healing addos, but belittling others for doing so is ignorant, to say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Not true, your "reaction" time is still limited by global cooldowns.
    It has nothing to do with reaction time, it has everything to do with special things that addons give that the blizz frames do not....yet.

I use blizzard's raid frames, I think they're pretty good. I can see all their debuffs and the duration of my HoT's and I can make it as big or small as I want. The addons just seem to complicated to set up. Call me what you want.
    WTB talented signature creators!

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    It has nothing to do with reaction time, it has everything to do with special things that addons give that the blizz frames do not....yet.
    Like what, exactly? Have you checked out the customization available for the standard raid frames lately?

I've always been an excellent healer, with no trouble topping the meters and keeping people alive both in TBC and WoTLK. I used grid+clique for a while during TBC but since WoTLK I've relied on the standard raid frames with no issues.

My healing style is very similar to Plasmon's, I select a target and heal it with my keybinds while my mouse cursor has already moved on to the next target. For self-healing I click my own portrait or click off target and cast a heal.

Also, I have a /target [tank name] macro bound to mouse button 3 that I adjust for every new dungeon/raid for quick tank targeting.

I'm considering adding Decursive as I do get annoyed by debuff icons that I can't dispel.

Basically, mouseover macros and mods such as Clique slow my healing down compared to the old-fashioned way.

I cannot stand grid at all, i think its a terrible healing addon. I havent touched it since ulduar and I'm never going back.
    In wrath I used clique with just ct raid frames, it showed my hots and heals on targets and i liked the raid frames pretty much, I may try something different when I start raiding with my guild soon.
    I want to try vuhdo or whatever its called.

Sylvari Necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    I use the default raid frames now that they give a lot of useful information such as incoming heals, hot timers and buff display, debuff display, range indicator, class colors, mana bars, etc. I also supplement this with decursive for efficient cleansing, and I get any other useful information that I need from Quartz, PowerAuras Classic, and SexyCooldowns. I have the raid boss set as my focus so I can see what's going on with his health percentage and his buffs. To heal I click someones box in the raid frames to target them, and then I cast the heal with my other hand by pressing keys, with the most often being 1-5.
    High five man, this is how I'm set up. I don't see a reason to waste memory with add ons when Blizz's frames are pretty perfect, at least for me, a former grid user.
    WTB talented signature creators!

10+ Year Old Account
    If clicking is slowing down your healing you are doing something wrong.

As a druid, not being able to see another druids hotted targets, or at least have a swiftmendable target showing is a big downfall. For those that use the red/yellow/green to pop out at you, you don;t have that option. There is no cluster healing function, which for a 25 raiding resto druid, especially with the way mana is, is also a big downfall. There are things you can't hide that you want to, things you can't show that you need to, it's just not fully customizable like many other addons.

You CAN heal with anything. You can heal with no addons and probably be fine. But for people trying for top progression, hey want to have every single little helper they can get.

Also, using the fact that to click and/or mouseover you are limited by having to have your mouse over a frame and incorrect. Most healers that use clique also have their heals keybinded. I've done the hardest movement fights in this game and it had no effect on my healing and I use vuhdo/used grid/clique. If there is a fire under me, I use my d key and strafe out while not interrupting my healing at all. If you have to massively move it doesn't matter what method you use, you are going to have your healing interrupted at some point, even if just for a moment.

I don't fully agree with mouseover healing because in theory, that's even more limiting, but if your guild/group kills the boss, your assigned people didn't die, and you aren't so low on effective healing that it's obvious you aren't pulling your weight, it doesn't matter what you use.

But, just because you aren't striving to be the absolute best doesn't mean those that are are wrong. To top end progression raiders, little things are the difference between wipes and world 1sts.

I always heal with no addons except DBM and recount. I use Blizzards own UI to manage who I need to heal and whatnot. I am a resto shaman. I fin it very easy and grid+clique gets way to confusing when I can heal better or atleast as well as healer who use that.

Though I don't heal often, I use Vuhdo when I do. Nice customizations and easy to set up click heals. I haven't tried any other frames with clique, but I might sometime. Vuhdo likes to get mad at me sometimes.

Eh, I use HealBot (which is like Grid + Clique, I've been told), and I still manage to hit keys, just not so many. Mostly shift, CTRL, and ALT in conjuncture with three or four mouse buttons. I still feel a high level of engagements in fights.

Quote Originally Posted by DFWVU View Post
    Eh, I use HealBot (which is like Grid + Clique, I've been told), and I still manage to hit keys, just not so many. Mostly shift, CTRL, and ALT in conjuncture with three or four mouse buttons. I still feel a high level of engagements in fights.
    Grid+Clique > HealBot

All these addons are great - but don't get me wrong, when I say, I really do /facepalm, when a healer leaves a group saying: "sorry guys, I can't heal. My addons ain't working!"

I used healbot on my paladin when all i had to do was flash of light and holy light and I mostly just used it to left click flash of light and just renewed my beacon by hitting the 1 key and holy shocking with the 2 key. I got rid of it when they changed the talents and what not. Not like there are that many more spells to hit but i mostly just had healbot for 25m content and i would just spam fol but then i started doing 10m only and just used the new raid frames and default.

Add ons arent really needed for healing and i dont like to bind my heals to a bunch of shift clicks and what not I find it easier to just use the default. I also heal with the default stuff on my druid.

Deleted
    I'm using Healbot in raids but it is in my opinion easier to heal dungeons without addons (by clicking character and then healing spell from keyboard). But it's just me =)

I use Grid with Mouseover macros. I don't think any other way is acceptable, though I haven't touched Healbot.

Deleted
    I use TukUI which has a very simple unitframe but it shows the most important thing: how much HP the people lost. Since my most used spell is Nourish with a 2.2 cast time, I have plenty of time to change to the NEXT target while I'm casting it. So I start casting a spell on X and notice that Y needs a heal too, so I change the target to Y while the heal is still being casted on X. This allows me to start casting the next heal on the right target the moment the last cast or GCD is over and I can look around using my mouse in the meantime.

I prefer this way, I just don't like the one click - one heal way. IMHO it's personal preference so I suggest you try out different addons and find the one that suits you the best.

I don't use healing UI addons for two reasons:

1- I want to keep my UI standard through out all of my characters. I don't want different UI elements to be active on different characters. If an addon changes or resets I can just clone the UI to each character rather than spending 30 minutes setting each one up

2- I just don't see the need. I use a G13 controller so i have all the action keys under my left hand. Select a target with my right hand, cast with my left. While casting or the GCD i get select the right target with my right hand. This way i have complete control over what is happening.
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Deleted
    My old raiding priest used no addons other than DeadlyBoss and Decursive, other than that I used the default frames and I was still one of the best healers in that guild at the time. Not using an addon hones your healing skills because you have to do all the steps yourself.

Nowadays just to please raiders I use Healbot, but only in a simplistic form so I can see HOT timers and make life a little easier in raids. But I'm tempted to disregard it for heroics, but then I'd have to do more tinkering and I HATE TINKERING WITH ADDONS! Spent ages just getting DroodFocus to be smooth between different forms and dual specs!

Plasmon makes a good point about movement issues when doing mouseover heals. I hate mouseover heals with a passion. Fights are too chaoctic particularly in raids to rely on them. Blizzard's default frames have massively improved and as long as you have some half decent reflexes/reactions (which not being one to boast, I think I do IMO) healing with default frames is perfectly viable, and in fact I'm on the teetering point of disabling Healbot and going back to my old roots. DroodFocus gives me all the timers I need for tanking though so that stays!

Aren't DPS glad they don't have this problem? :P
    Last edited by mmoc691ab5818d; 2010-12-21 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbaby View Post
    All these addons are great - but don't get me wrong, when I say, I really do /facepalm, when a healer leaves a group saying: "sorry guys, I can't heal. My addons ain't working!"
    that is an excuse only, a priest in my guild uses it all the time when she fucks up. i've been using healbot/vuhdo for years now and never once have i had a situation where my healing addon broke. that is a justification for not using mods that i hear all the time, but it is simply not true. stay on top of your mod updates and these mods are never going to fail on you.