Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Razer nostromo the sucessor to n52te

I was trying to decide between the n52te and G13 for thumb movement, then I found the new sucessor Razer nostromo:
    http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...ctID.221675100

I heard you needed a certain firmware for the n52te and needed to disable diagonals to make diagonals work. For the G13 it looks like you need a script.

How is the Razer nostromo for thumb movement?

This is what I want:

N-Forward
    S-Backward
    W-Left strafe
    E- Right strafe
    NW-Forward Left Strafe
    NE- Forward Right Strafe
    SW-Backward Left Strafe
    SE- Backward Right Strafe

is it 8-way?

EDIT: if not, nw, ne, sw, se is impossible.
    EDIT2: and you dont need any script for g13, im using one, i clicked the record key, clicked my movement key and it worked, its 8-way, which means its as good as wasd is.

That IS just the N52TE with a new name afiak. The original n52 was as a result of "nostromo, 52 keys" again, as far as I know.

As for the question, I have one of these and despite numerous tries just REALLY can't get used to it. I think your millage may vary with the diagonals it doesn't feel precise enough to do these correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by arons4 View Post
    is it 8-way?

EDIT: if not, nw, ne, sw, se is impossible.
    EDIT2: and you dont need any script for g13, im using one, i clicked the record key, clicked my movement key and it worked, its 8-way, which means its as good as wasd is.
    -N52te was 8 way but you needed a certain firmware and needed to disable diagonals for the diagonal to correctly trigger N and W AFAIK.

-This Razer nostromo is 8 way but I'm not sure if It has any quirks like n52te.

-So, on your G13, when you it to move it to NW it triggers forward left strafe without any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    That IS just the N52TE with a new name afiak. The original n52 was as a result of "nostromo, 52 keys" again, as far as I know.

As for the question, I have one of these and despite numerous tries just REALLY can't get used to it. I think your millage may vary with the diagonals it doesn't feel precise enough to do these correctly.
    The FAQ says it's updated:

"The new Razer Nostromo boasts several enhancements over its predecessor, the Belkin n52te (powered by Razer), including the ability to switch instantly between eight keymaps (up from three), and the flexibility of storing up to twenty gaming profiles from the previous limit of ten. Gamers can now also take advantage of the new onboard chipset (replacing Synapse) and software driver that puts aside all previous programming limitations, as the new Razer Nostromo enables gamers to effortlessly program sophisticated macros of unlimited length. This all-new configurator software for the Razer Nostromo comes with an improved user-friendly interface that belies its advanced macro programming capabilities, allowing gamers to conveniently customize all the buttons with any game command to open up a massive repertoire of commands and combinations right under their fingertips."

---------- Post added 2010-12-18 at 09:12 PM ----------

For me, it's hard to use WASD and hotkeys at the same time. Since the thumb pad ='s WSAD for one thumb, and assuming diagonals work, it just seems like it'd be a lot easier for my 4 fingers to focus on spells.
    Last edited by Cuppincake; 2010-12-19 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppincake View Post
    -N52te was 8 way but you needed a certain firmware and needed to disable diagonals for the diagonal to correctly trigger N and W AFAIK.

-This Razer nostromo is 8 way but I'm not sure if It has any quirks like n52te.

-So, on your G13, when you it to move it to NW it triggers forward left strafe without any issues?

The FAQ says it's updated:

"The new Razer Nostromo boasts several enhancements over its predecessor, the Belkin n52te (powered by Razer), including the ability to switch instantly between eight keymaps (up from three), and the flexibility of storing up to twenty gaming profiles from the previous limit of ten. Gamers can now also take advantage of the new onboard chipset (replacing Synapse) and software driver that puts aside all previous programming limitations, as the new Razer Nostromo enables gamers to effortlessly program sophisticated macros of unlimited length. This all-new configurator software for the Razer Nostromo comes with an improved user-friendly interface that belies its advanced macro programming capabilities, allowing gamers to conveniently customize all the buttons with any game command to open up a massive repertoire of commands and combinations right under their fingertips."

---------- Post added 2010-12-18 at 09:12 PM ----------

For me, it's hard to use WASD and hotkeys at the same time. Since the thumb pad ='s WSAD for one thumb, and assuming diagonals work, it just seems like it'd be a lot easier for my 4 fingers to focus on spells.
    no problem with movement with the stick for me, and it works 8-way(wow only has 8-way)

Quote Originally Posted by arons4 View Post
    no problem with movement with the stick for me, and it works 8-way(wow only has 8-way)
    It looks like I read something wrong last week. He needed to disable diagonals with a script. He said when he uses mouse turning they messed with accuracy.
    http://pwnwear.com/forum/geek-review...-wow-t559.html
    http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-Seri...ck/td-p/474695
    Last edited by Cuppincake; 2010-12-19 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppincake View Post
    It looks like I read something wrong last week. He needed to disable diagonals with a script. He said when he uses mouse turning they messed with accuracy.
    http://pwnwear.com/forum/geek-review...-wow-t559.html
    http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-Seri...ck/td-p/474695
    must be because he uses the stick to turn(not strafe)

I have the n52 and use it for WoW on a daily basis and didn't have to install any specific special firmware nor did I have to "disable diagonals." I simply mapped Up, Down, Left, and Right arrows to my d-pad and I use it in conjunction with my mouse just the same as I can with WASD. It does take some getting used to, especially if you've been using WASD for years but once you get it down it's smooth as butter.

You do lose the ability to run and jump with only your left hand with this configuration though (but you gain 4 hotkeys). I've adapted to using the mouse (right-click + left-click to run) then the thumb button for running and jumping situations.

Deleted
    I use 02 and 04 to strafe and my mouse for the rest just bound abilities to my d-pad cos i like running and jumping alot :P (rogue) You can change maps pretty quickly too when its set up right for lazy ass dragon slaying mode ^^

Edit: Top tip is use the thumb button as a modifier like shift ect and you got no hastle and double the keybinds
    Last edited by mmoc436a444510; 2010-12-19 at 08:28 PM.

I use the Nostromo along with the Naga mouse. The Naga has 12 thumb buttons, and an addon for WOW that lets you assign them.
    I've set it up in WOW so that I have one panel that changes it's commands based on which modifier I'm using i.e. basic combat is unmodified, special attacks I hold down shift, healing e.t.c. I hold down alt e.t.c.

On the Nostromo, I've got the three keys that sit comfortably under my fingers when I use the controller to be my modifiers, move with the thumbstick and the other keys I've assigned common commands that I use. So whilst playing, I can access all of my common commands (if I don't have to type) without taking my hands off the Nostromo and Naga.

Pretty Handy!

Not bragging, just offering...

I've used the n52, the n52te, and now the Razer Nostromo.
    First, the Nostromo is entirely new internals - I've not found any of the issues that the n52te had.
    The Diagonals work fine out of the box, no modifications needed.
    As for the n52te, the diagonals had a tendency to misbehave, giving stuttering, jerky movement. Disabling the diagonals in the profile editor forced the N52te to properly interpret diagonal presses and resulted in smooth movement.

By default, jump is the lower thumb button (Spacebar), which obviously means you can't move and jump at the same time.. So I rebound jump to an extra button on my mouse.. along with various movement functions like follow, Run/walk, autorun, etc. Wow lets you use modifiers against your mousebuttons. By binding shift, ctrl, and alt to the b01, b06, and b11 buttons on the Nostromo, you can get 5 'modes' on both the Nostromo and the mouse - unmodified, shift, ctrl, alt, and Shift-ctrl (it's possible to hold both b01 & b06 down at once with the pinky finger). As there are 12 buttons left on the Nostromo (perfect fit for actionbars), you can control 5 actionbars on the Nostromo, and 5x as many keybindings on the mouse. And these modifiers can be used against the Nostromo's scrollwheel and dpad for even more binds.. All without switching color modes on the Nostromo (which has 8, vs the 3 color modes on the n52te).

I have a channel on YouTube that better explain this setup, as well as how to further integrate the n52te/Nostromo with WoW and some example class profiles. Can't post URL's yet.. just search for "The 2 Ring", or Grendalsh & Nostromo.

Fair winds and good luck with your setups!

I don't know about you guys but I'd prolly prefer just getting a keyboard with F keys being really close to numeric keys and Naga. :P

Currently using G11 with MX518 and fuck this keyboard is huge - and I've never used all those 18 macro keys. -_-

Deleted
    From what you described what you need, the G13 will suit you well.
    I've been playing WoW on one for about a year now, they're AWESOME. Seriously, once you learn to play with the bindings, you don't want to lose it anymore. And yes, it has 8 Way movement out of the box.. W to forward, S to backward, A to left, D to right. In that setup, when you push NE (Up + Right), you strafe right while moving forward, just like you would with keyboard keys.
    Get it, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    From what you described what you need, the G13 will suit you well.
    I've been playing WoW on one for about a year now, they're AWESOME. Seriously, once you learn to play with the bindings, you don't want to lose it anymore. And yes, it has 8 Way movement out of the box.. W to forward, S to backward, A to left, D to right. In that setup, when you push NE (Up + Right), you strafe right while moving forward, just like you would with keyboard keys.
    Get it, it's awesome.
    THIS

The G13 is amazing, and you get perfect directional control with the thumbstick - bind it to w/s (back/forward), q/e (left/right strafe) and it is able to input 1-2 of those at a time depending in the position (i.e. moving stick forwards: just presses w, forwards and right: presses both w and e at same time, so your character moves diagonally forwards and right).

Its great.
    I am getting a razer naga too for some more buttons so I don't need to use modifier keys anymore :P

I currently have the nostromo and am having some issues with the movement keys working properly. When I use the default settings(For D-Pad in nostromo software) and set my in game key bindings to up down left and right arrows for movement with left and right used for strafe, my character will stop moving forward if I try to move straight while in a strafe or diagonal movement. The only way I can move forward is to release the D-Pad all together and then push forward again. The other way I tried was using the W,S,Q,E for movement with Q & E being my strafe keys hwoever when using this method I seem to get stuck going in one direction on occasion and even when removing my hands from the pad he keeps moving and I can only stop this by pressing the D-Pad in the direction he is moving once more. Everything I read says it works fine out of the box for movement. Would someone who uses the nostromo for movement in WoW please tell me what they use for settings in the software as well as their in game key bindings. I really wanna keep this cause I love the feel and playstyle it provides however with out being able to move properly it will be useless. I really enjoy my Razer Naga and Razer Arctosa and would really like to keep this product if I can get it to function properly.

I bought a Nostromo a couple of months ago, and i really could not get used to it at all.
    I've since then bought an Anansi and get on much better with it. The Nostromo just doesn't feel natural at all.
    Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.

Deleted
    Psst.. You're posting in a thread made in December 2010.

pssst........December 2010 was only 7 months ago and the thread is not closed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitivelama View Post
    pssst........December 2010 was only 7 months ago and the thread is not closed
    "Only".
    I wonder how many pages deep the thread was in 7 months.

Get a life dude , just cause the thread was created in December does not mean that people no longer can post in it. I bought the gamepad , have some issues and am seeking input, If you dont have any input on the subject Stay TFO of the thread