Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Warrior Tank + Cata

Got some major issue at the moment when doing dungeons.
    I'm normally a fury warrior PvE, but since the queue time is 40+ minutes I figured why not used my tanking specc just like before and actually get JP's / VP's faster each day, and even maybe upgrade the gear of tanking while I'm at it.

This all seems good, but I'm hitting up against a wall where I'm bad at holding threat now in CATA , because with some packs and no cc in the group I have to just go at it, but some dpsers over-aggro right away and the mobs become cluttered... which leaves me at running around like a nuthole and having people die and whine about it.

Now I'm wondering how I can improve my tanking abilities to actually enjoy tanking more and getting better at it again, because I haven't tanked for a month or more and its difficult to gather every mob around.

So my question to you Tank heroes out there, how do you keep aggro as warrior easily with a large pack of mobs, and what do you do if you have no CC class in the group?
    all the information is usefull ofcourse so I hope to learn a bit from you guys again on my tanking skills ^^

first, make sure you have the right rotation for AoE threat. charge -> rend -> thunder clap -> shockwave and then use your normal single target abilities and replace heroic strike with cleave for rage dumps.
    hope this helps, good luck!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    first, make sure you have the right rotation for AoE threat. charge -> rend -> thunder clap -> shockwave and then use your normal single target abilities and replace heroic strike with cleave for rage dumps.
    pretty much this. Make sure you get rend -> TC up before your group starts to zerg.

EDIT: If theres a spellcaster mobb casting on someone, Hthrow it and pick it up (if this isnt too obvious?).

You really have to know your mobs. If they are melee/ranged. You want to try and get good CC in your group. Try and get CC for the instance your running, I.E. Vortex would be great for a shaman,lock and mage. Make sure your glyphs are in order for AoE tanking, Cleave glyph helps. I personally dont even use shockwave until i have 3 stack of TC on me. Your a warrior, you have sooo many abilities. Use them.

Mark targets.

That's going to have the biggest effect on folks over aggroing. If you can just keep up your single-target threat rotation on one enemy by the time he's dead your throwing in your AoE threat rotation at the same time (using cleave instead of HS, TC whenever it's on CD, Shockwave whenever it's on CD, demo-shout up, etc) then by the 2nd or 3rd enemy you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just a Warrior thing - AoE threat is very tricky right now. I can hold enough threat to keep anyone hitting my mob safe, and I can AoE threat enough to keep the healer safe to start a fight - as it progresses the AoE DPS can start coming in too. However, beyond that, DPS is on their own. There's threat meters, warnings, etc. that there's no excuse for a DPS to pull hate. LK was about DPS races, CATA is about toeing the Threat line (right now anyway).

Mark your targets and follow it, and get some CC in there if necessary.

During the bold transition healers often start spamming heals before you do any AoE threat, I find it helps to cleave during your rend since its off the Gcd.(also helps to shout before your charge to compensate for the extra rage burn)
    ShamLcawk(shaman/main)
    ShamLrock(warrior/main)
    ShamLshapes(druid)
    Shampoke(rogue)
    Shamatholic(priest)

After taking a big wow break I'm back and trying to (bear) tank in Cata... and between me being rusty and all the new changes it's much more challenging.

A lot of onus is on DPS to do it right this time around (no more AoE fest!) but I've find the TidyPlates + ThreatPlates mod is a big help! I have it set so I don't see the nameplate of any mob who I don't have low aggro/lost aggro on. So the instant someone pulls something from me (or is about to pull) I see a big red nameplate pop up on the screen. It's a real lifesaver, if you don't have it I recommend it!

start with hc leap instead of charge. commandin/battle -> hc leap -> TC -> shockwave -> rend -> TC, this is the rotation that i use, and i allways mark a skull, no need for other marks if no cc.

15+ Year Old Account
    wow this are a lot of response, I obviously will have more questions will respond in a hour or so! thanks guys

As a warrior you are forgetting you have a sort of CC aswell, glyphed Intimidating shout can really help out if dmg is coming in to hard or u lack CC from other members of the party. Above all mark a kill order, or get the mod Skullme which will automatically set your target as skull after a predetermined (by you) amount of time. If ppl can't follow a kill order remind them they can easily b kicked.

what i do is heroic throw one (caster if there is one) charge another and cleave with rend, thundercalp, shockwave then continue with single target rotation just with cleave instead of heroic strike. Never had a problem with this. I also shieldblock as much as possible to cussion damage and get tonnes of rage then do innerrage + 3stack shockwave. Nothing's gona leave you after that.
    STFU and kill shit.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this is really helpful.
    - The Chad -

warrior AoE tanking is extremly strong and for HC i like going a threat specc to do more dps than the dps shout>charge>rend>thunder clap >shockwave>cleave this will do so much aoe threat that nobody will over aggro you

Tip: if you are AoE tanking mark a traget with skull sens thare are alot of ppl that focus on 1 target and aoe the rest and you won't have threat issues

15+ Year Old Account
    btw any quick mark addons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InstaQ View Post
    btw any quick mark addons?
    In your Keybind interface, you can actually keybind raid marks. It's pretty far down on the list, but sure does make it nice.
    85 paladin Prot/Holy, 85 warlock Destro/Affliction, 85 priest Holy/Disc, 85 druid Feral/Resto, 85 shaman Resto/Enhancement, 85 rogue Combat/Combat, 85 mage Fire/Arcane, 85 death knight Blood/Frost, 85 warrior Prot/Arms, 85 hunter Surv/BM.

My name is Citaxis, and I'm an altoholic. My first step is admitting I have a problem. I even have the addon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont even have Blood and Thunder and I keep AoE aggro just fine.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

15+ Year Old Account
    thanks people this information will be usefull ill safe it up if any more arise after a few dungeons ill post in again. thanks for the support

i'm not a warrior or any tank in cata. atleast not yet.
    but if you over agro then you die. sure you can taunt a few times in a dungeon. because some1 just wanted to push it a bit 2 far.
    if i go all out right away and get agro its my own damn fault. i will never blame the healer or tank for this.
    i blame healer for a wipe if he goes afk while not saying anyting.
    or just not healing aoe dmg we could not avoide.
    anyting else is just dps fault.
    if the tank can only get 5k tps off well then i'll do 5k tps also.

if you meet a trigger happy dps. just whisper your healer to let him die:P

Mark a skull and if dps overaggro's another target before skull is dead slap em.