Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Until blizz puts in an option to roll need mainspec and need offspec or even better set your main spec at the start of the instance, this is not going to change any time soon.

With greed = disenchant in terms of roll weighting - their only option is to roll need if they actually want the item.

Speaking personally, fury is mainspec but I will often q as tank for random because a: it is faster and b: I know the instance will go smoothly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well i see your point but me i always ask if anyone needs the item and if its ok if i roll need. I understand your point and feel for ya but with pugs you cant really make them roll or not just hope for the best and ask nicely if you can have said item nicely if they win.

Oh whatever. All of you people who say "don't pug" etc. know its completely rude (and always HAS been) to roll on offspec gear. Be respectful. Ask if the main spec needs it and if they don't then roll need. The same way its been since vanilla. Main spec should get main priority. I rarely PuG but that kind of thing is what ruins peoples experience. This kind of attitude is what's ruining the WoW community. A bunch of selfish, entitled, elitist people. Get over yourself and let the main specs have their rolls.

Easiest solution in the world and it is right in front of your face. Go do guild/friend instance runs rather then PuGs if you want "need before greed" to actually mean "need for current spec before greed for otherspec", quit frankly a lot of these tanks in PuGs are DPS in their guild raids, they just roll tank for pugs since they have the back up gear to do so and it makes for shorter ques. Just because they are a tank in your PuG doesn't mean that their main spec is tank your just assuming that.

If you go rolling through instances with friends and guildies you will follow a "needs of the party outweigh the needs of the one" to where say the tank doesn't need the gear but he is helping you get your tanking gear up since your going to be off tank for guild raids then you get the gear without even rolling, or vis versa if you have all the dps gear and he is tanking for you but needs dps gear since this week your guild has more tanks then it needs to let him have it so that he can still come and be useful.

But if your rolling PuG guess what if it is an upgrade for either spec that person is needing since it doesn't hurt their guild raids and like I said you don't know what their main spec is, your just assuming it is what they are in that PuG. Should PuG at least be polite enough to let the tank have first dibs on the tank gear? yes since if you don't tank PuGs you probably don't main tank guild raids, but it doesn't work that way the other way around, just because you tank pugs doesn't mean that you probably don't roll as dps in your main spec just means you wait long ques. Not to mention for every 1 piece of tank gear that drops a good 4-5 pieces of dps gear drops so it is not like you don't get a lot more chances to upgrade then the tank does anyways.

All in all if you don't like someone needing on an upgrade for them just because you are assuming their main spec then don't roll pugs, if they are needing on something that isn't an upgrade then yeah your point is valid, but remember tanks need hit and expertise cap too even if their main spec is tank.

**************************EDIT******************************************

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    Until blizz puts in an option to roll need mainspec and need offspec or even better set your main spec at the start of the instance, this is not going to change any time soon.

With greed = disenchant in terms of roll weighting - their only option is to roll need if they actually want the item.

Speaking personally, fury is mainspec but I will often q as tank for random because a: it is faster and b: I know the instance will go smoothly.
    This right here, when quing for PuG should be able to have 2 things to choose, main spec, and then roles "can" do and add another (hidden) options to the roles of "Need (main spec)" "Need(Off spec)" "Greed/DE".

Have it so that both needs are the same button but if 3 people need and one choose "main spec feral cat" another "fury warrior"and the other person choose "prot pali" the agil gear would be given to druid regardless and the str gear would go between the pali or warrior depending on if it was tank or dps gear even if the druid happened to be the one tanking that pug because he just happened to get his offspec as the role chosen for that random.

The main reason why it is currently not really an option to have such a roll scheme is due to there are some DPS weapons that are better for tanking then tanking weapons depending on your stats (IE if your not hit capped yet hit>avoidence even for a tank) (And I do realize that druids ware leather but I was just making an example where PuG role and main spec are not equal.)
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2010-12-20 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slambient View Post
    Paladin tanks don't need 2 handers...or dps trinkets
    When I have dps that no matter what I tell them insist on going all out on the pull still I'd be flat out stupid not to take dps necks, rings, or trinkets that may help my initial threat be higher.

I shouldnt have to be in a guild to do heroics...lets be real here
    No one said you had to join a guild to do heroics, they simply suggested it as a solution to your "problem."

Deleted
    All this whining about losing rolls in pugs seriously belongs into the official forums. Waste of space here in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    For my groups it always ends up being need on offspec if nobody needs for main. Works out quite well. Only time I've seen someone get a piece of gear stolen from them is in Throne of Tides when a stupid holy paladin needed on an agility ring and proceeded to leave the group.

Quote Originally Posted by lthompson94 View Post
    Oh whatever. All of you people who say "don't pug" etc. know its completely rude (and always HAS been) to roll on offspec gear. Be respectful. Ask if the main spec needs it and if they don't then roll need. The same way its been since vanilla. Main spec should get main priority. I rarely PuG but that kind of thing is what ruins peoples experience. This kind of attitude is what's ruining the WoW community. A bunch of selfish, entitled, elitist people. Get over yourself and let the main specs have their rolls.

Number of shits given about gear priority in pugs = 0

It's not going to change. Nobody in the group will likely ever group together again anyways, so all consideration has taken a backseat.

Sure it'd be great if everyone gave a damn about it, but they don't and that's the way it is. Move on, queue for the next random pug and pray you don't get another douche.

Quote Originally Posted by quakereject View Post
    Number of shits given about gear priority in pugs = 0

It's not going to change. Nobody in the group will likely ever group together again anyways, so all consideration has taken a backseat.

Sure it'd be great if everyone gave a damn about it, but they don't and that's the way it is. Move on, queue for the next random pug and pray you don't get another douche.
    This attitude is exactly what I'm talking about, people who have either just given up and become part of the problem, or people who are selfish and elitist and create the problems to begin with. As I said I rarely PuG, and with people like this out there, I'm glad I don't.

The largest complaints about WoW are regarding the playerbase and community. This is why. It's not that hard to be considerate and not waste other players time for you selfish greed. The person who's loot you stole could have to run the dungeon another 10 times to get it just to play their class efficiently. Meanwhile you probably won't even PLAY the offspec you need rolled for.

And all those who steal tank loots, you better not whine and cry when undergeared tanks come to heroics, but you're sitting on a full set of 333 tank gear you don't even use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say your mainspec is Fury but you queue as tank to get into a dungeon faster.

Are you being inconsiderate for taking gear related to your mainspec? Considering:
    a) You made it possible for that queue to pop when it did, since few people want to tank, and
    b) If you had waited 45 minutes and then gotten into the same group, you still would have rolled against the other plate DPS

I don't get it. It seems like people are angry because someone who isn't expected to roll against them, does so. But beyond that, there doesn't seem to be any logic behind being upset. I can see if like, the Warrior takes a spellpower weapon, but for stuff the class can legitimately make use of with one of their specs, it's fair game imo.

If you're so impatient with gearing up that losing a roll is anathema to you, then you should ask if you're even having fun playing the game anymore. As well, you should consider organizing some people (guildies or friends) to go after the item with, if it's that important to you. That seems sensible, doesn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    HOLY CRAP, for the 150,000000000th thread, Please for the love of God stop complaining about gear that you can grind that are blues. If you wanna qq about someone ninjaing raid gear then fine, but the fact that you can spam run random heroics until you get what you want and that youre complainign i dont get it. I spam ran reg toc with a way outgeared mage for something like 60 runs to have every sort of class steal my trinket and i didn't go and make a topic about it... Stop complaining so i can stop complaining about your complaining please lol.
    This. When I get my DK to 85 (mage was first for raiding) and do heroics I"ll roll on offspec gear rather than greed - because that gear could be DE'd by someone who didn't realize I wanted it for offspec if I do roll greed. Chances are it'll be guild runs so if someone needs it then I'll give it to them for mainspec (trade BOP items to eligible members anyone?), but otherwise its perfectly legit to build my offspec. Stop complaining about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzlers View Post
    Don't pug then.
    THIS. Now let me get this clear for the OP. I have my tankgear set. I passed on every DPS item until this point. Now I will join as a tank and NEED DPS gear I want. If I wouldnt cue there would be one tank less to let 3 poor DPS with the long cues join the fight for gear. FYI we lose our stamina armor trinkets to HEALERS that arent even paladins. Why? Who knows? It has stamina surely its good for pvp, yes?

As for gear with mastery and hit on it, as long as there isnt another item for that slot with explicit tanking stats that item IS a tanking item. Even if there is there are alternatives for you DPS guys so suck it up.

And why should I join a PuG with my green DPS gear if I could contribute by 350 ilvl tanking gear? To gimp the group? To make dps encounters not possible due to ooming the healer? I bet you dont even use pummle once even though you have speced into rude interruption. Why do I make this assumption? Because as warrior tank I see when DPS interrupt and its bloody not often! (once out of 100 times)

When it comes to WoW its "Du bist dir selbst der Nächste" (youre your own best pal; freely translated)
    Its not like youre going to miss out on those free food samples just because somewhere else somebody you dont know and never will know is hungry
    Last edited by mmocdbbb194638; 2010-12-20 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder, now that I stop to think about it, how much of this comes from people needing everything they can to get enchanting mats (blue shards to buy the recipes, plus to do the enchants) and also to work towards the d/e 100k items guild achievement... Not a legit reason to do it IMO, but I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by kortin View Post
    Pretty much.

I've said time and time again. Stop puging the random dungeons. Grab some guildies and get a group together. don't have a guild? Stop complaining then. You're missing out on lots of things by not being in a guild. If you choose to not be in a guild, stop complaining. That is the only way you can avoid losing the gear you want.
    I'm sorry but as much as I understand what you are saying that ins't a valid solution, when there is a tool called LFD and that tool is being exploited by players that should get fixed.

And although I agree that guild runs is a possible way of avoiding the problem is not a solution to the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I plan on rolling offspec I state that clearly in the beginning of the run. I make sure no one has a problem with it. If they do, I will leave and they can get a healer that doesn't want that gear.

If something offspec drops that I didn't expect, I will ask "mind if I need that?" and make sure it's OK before I click that shiny Need button.

This is not hard.

And then I get my Spirit trinkets ninjaed by warlocks. *sigh* Can't win them all.

The important thing is to not become PART of the problem by being "that guy" that just rolls and leaves. That type of person just makes other people bitter and spreads it around. 'It was done to me, so it's OK to do to someone else.' Guess what guys, it's not.

Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2010-12-20 at 06:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why not? Now that heroics are actually hard, some of which will remain hard for pugs (Ozruk's Shatter will probably still 1-shot tanks in T13), you're going to find much more success in a guild. If you like wiping for a few hours, then by all means, stay out of a guild.

The benefits to being in a guild are also much higher now than they were in Wrath, BC, etc. If you want to guarantee you can get the gear you want, join a guild and discuss it with your group.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Let's say your mainspec is Fury but you queue as tank to get into a dungeon faster.

Are you being inconsiderate for taking gear related to your mainspec? Considering:
    a) You made it possible for that queue to pop when it did, since few people want to tank, and
    b) If you had waited 45 minutes and then gotten into the same group, you still would have rolled against the other plate DPS

I don't get it. It seems like people are angry because someone who isn't expected to roll against them, does so. But beyond that, there doesn't seem to be any logic behind being upset. I can see if like, the Warrior takes a spellpower weapon, but for stuff the class can legitimately make use of with one of their specs, it's fair game imo.

If you're so impatient with gearing up that losing a roll is anathema to you, then you should ask if you're even having fun playing the game anymore. As well, you should consider organizing some people (guildies or friends) to go after the item with, if it's that important to you. That seems sensible, doesn't it?
    This. ^^^

Most of the tanks are doing the groups a service by shortening your queues. At least you have a chance to earn gear and justice points to buy armor pieces. I'm sure this tank rolling on DPS gear isn't all that happy to tank as it is but they are speeding up the process for 4 others.

well if your not, stop complaining about pugs. he didnt say you have to, just bite the consequences

Blizzard should implement a thing where every peice has a role assigned to it and you can't need on items outside of your roll unless someone nobody of that role needs it.
    Don't hold your breath, they can't even get whether or not you can actually use it right now!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you pug, you deal with the repercussions. Haven't we all learned that by now? It does seem fairly obvious.