Poll: Who would win in a fight to the death?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    It largely depends on the nature of the confrontation.

Wrynn is a veteran gladiator, Soloed Onyxia, Kinda taught Arthas how to fight, and has run head first into many battles and been pretty much unstoppable. I think in a gladiator style duel, Wrynn has some serious advantages.

Being an alliance player I know much less about Sylvanas, however I do see that she is a strategic mastermind, and appears to be largely unaffected by death. If it was war on the battlefield, with each leader with a number of soldiers to command, she would probably come out victorious.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990

Deleted
    Sylvanas is too popular a character for the poll to be any accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Sylvannas already technically dead?

Tbh, I think Varian is trash now w/o Genn. If it was 1 on 1, Sylvannas would win.

---------- Post added 2010-12-20 at 04:33 PM ----------

Wow the poll is 50/50!

How!!!
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Haha, let me give Varian the advantage then (40 votes vs 39, ha!). I agree that Varian would win a fair fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger View Post
    Varian and it wouldn't even be Close. The Horde's only powerful leader is Thrall and that's it. Alliance leaders would faceroll everyone else.
    Your fanboy is showing. Baine is a powerhouse. At least as strong as his father without age slowing him down. I also have no idea why you would consider any of the dwarves or gnomes stronger than any one of the Horde leaders.

On topic, I voted Sylvanas because she has access to powerful magic and Varian doesn't. I'm assuming it's a fight in which each person uses all the abilities they have available to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    didnt sylvanas die from a bullet by Godfrey? and Varian killed Onyxia? im pretty sure Varian would own Sylvanas.

Compare the two.

Sylvanas.
    Her class(es) listed by WoWWiki: Warrior, Mage, Elven Ranger. Those classes bring enough variables to give anyone a very difficult time. Best Archer on Azeroth since she became Ranger-General. Calm and calculated, she can prepare ahead of time to ensure her victory against any adversary, and by any means necessary.

Varian.
    His class(es): Warrior, Gladiator. I personally see Varian as a dual spec Fury + Arms. He was deadly as a Gladiator and when enraged, literally, his 'good' persona shoved aside, he becomes a killing machine.

Fighting Grounds: Assuming all is fair in this fight, then both know the other is present; ie, no one is attacking at night while the other is asleep or in the bathroom, etc. Now both knowing they WILL fight then there is time to prepare. Prep time is key here, planning for every and all situations, assessing your adversary's skills and fighting tactics and countering them wit your own.

Outcome: Sylvanas just has too many variables for Varian to counter. Her tendency to stay calm and collected will keep her focused on the fight. Not to mention her arsenal of Trick Shots, aka the arrow that paralyzed Arthas. She will happily plink away at Varian, keeping him at a distance with traps and her mobility, taunting him all the while with invites to join her Forsaken army. The longer the fight continues the worse Varian will fall into his 'Berserker' persona, abandoning most, if not all, tactics and just focusing on the kill. This will play out to Sylvanas advantage as she maneuvers him around the battlefield like a pawn in Chess. When the Banshee Queen gets bored enough the inevitable checkmate is certain.

**I like Varian, I like him much more than Garrosh, he's the most interesting of the new cast of characters. But anyone picking Varian over Sylvanas is biased, either they hate the Horde/Sylvanas or love Alliance/Varian. Logically she wins hands down. But I do feel for the Alliance though, Varian is really their only faction leader worth a damn. You could add a poll with 'Deathwing + Aspects vs Varian' and some nutjob /tinfoil hat fanboy would pick Varian.**
    ----------------------------------
    Aorus Xtreme
    5950x
    k|ngp|n 3090
    128g Ballistix
    33 fans

Quote Originally Posted by toho View Post
    didnt sylvanas die from a bullet by Godfrey? and Varian killed Onyxia? im pretty sure Varian would own Sylvanas.

Varian would die if unexpectedly shot point-blank, as well.

As an alliance player, I'm voting Sylvanas. Not because Varian pisses me off with his giant effing statue while 80% of his people are in poverty, not because Sylvanas is that awesome a character, but because that is simply how it would go.

Sylvanas has all these schemes and tricks to employ; poisoned arrows, laying in ambush and then retreating, the plague if need be. Varian has his weapons. Now, as a warrior, I'm all down with smashing your face into things until it works. Problem is, it would not work against Sylvanas. Few could outsmart her, and Varian is certainly not among those who can. The only way Varian'd have a chance is if he got the jump on her, and again, Sylvanas is simply too smart for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    bullet<dragon

yea...

Varian has the advantage because Sylvanas is already dead. Excluding such technicalities, each of them seem to have fairly equal combat prowess. At least, I find myself capable of explaining why each would win over the other.

bullet<dragon

yea...
    Why? How is a bullet any less deadly than a dragon? Any single mortal character in warcraft lore would die from a single well-placed bullet. It's a garbage argument that doesn't provide any real information other than "LOL SYLVANAS SUCKS SHE GOT SHOT"

And Varian was about to be assassinated by a lowly peon from the Twilight's Hammer had Anduin not saved him with a timely placed shield. The point is, they both are susceptible to sneak attacks, everyone is. Only difference is that Sylvanas didn't have anyone saving her - she just had people resurrecting her.

Which, come to think of it, raises another point. Since resurrection spells apparently do not exist in lore, considering how much in-game characters whine when someone dies, I'd say Sylvanas has gained another huge advantage: Varian can kill her as many times as he wants, but as long as she has some Val'kyr around, it's all for nothing. Whereas if Varian dies, he either stays dead, or is raised into the Forsaken Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Varian, hes seen a lot more combat than sylvanas has, after she became Undead, she hasnt been fighting except for in the ICC 5 mans ( if horde side is lore wise)

whereas varian has always been at war, he only recently got back from being a gladiator, he isnt as stupid as his chin makes him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    Varian, hes seen a lot more combat than sylvanas has, after she became Undead, she hasnt been fighting except for in the ICC 5 mans ( if horde side is lore wise)

whereas varian has always been at war, he only recently got back from being a gladiator, he isnt as stupid as his chin makes him out to be.
    Recently or not, she has literally hundreds of years more experience and combat training than he does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BukkaKid View Post
    Compare the two.

Outcome: Sylvanas just has too many variables for Varian to counter. Her tendency to stay calm and collected will keep her focused on the fight. Not to mention her arsenal of Trick Shots, aka the arrow that paralyzed Arthas. She will happily plink away at Varian, keeping him at a distance with traps and her mobility, taunting him all the while with invites to join her Forsaken army. The longer the fight continues the worse Varian will fall into his 'Berserker' persona, abandoning most, if not all, tactics and just focusing on the kill. This will play out to Sylvanas advantage as she maneuvers him around the battlefield like a pawn in Chess. When the Banshee Queen gets bored enough the inevitable checkmate is certain.

**I like Varian, I like him much more than Garrosh, he's the most interesting of the new cast of characters. But anyone picking Varian over Sylvanas is biased, either they hate the Horde/Sylvanas or love Alliance/Varian. Logically she wins hands down. But I do feel for the Alliance though, Varian is really their only faction leader worth a damn. You could add a poll with 'Deathwing + Aspects vs Varian' and some nutjob /tinfoil hat fanboy would pick Varian.**
    Sup bosses are immune to stun and slowing effects gg, varian wins

Sylvanas. Easily.
    Varian would be dead before he could get within 20 yards of her.

All hail the Banshee Queen!

no chance for varian oscar goes to Sylvanas Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Gankaye View Post
    Sup bosses are immune to stun and slowing effects gg, varian wins
    Boss vs Boss, not Player vs Boss. Sylvanas paralyzed Arthas, Arthas > Varian. Nice try 1st post failure.
    ----------------------------------
    Aorus Xtreme
    5950x
    k|ngp|n 3090
    128g Ballistix
    33 fans

Would prob depend on the terrain, if the they fight in a flat open arena, then gg Varian wins with his op swords no matter how smart and experienced Sylvanas is. However if they'res any pillars, trees, hills, or pretty much anything with a large shadow then gg Sylvans wins.