Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Twilight Highlands - your thoughts?

Twilight Highlands is currently the highest level zone in the expansion, the planet of azeroth, and the overall game. As I was questing thru the zone the other day, something struck me as being a little odd. Twilight Highlands (hereafter, TH) doesn't quite seem as ominous as previous highest level zones. Think about Shadowmoon Valley (SV) for burning crusade. THink about Silithus or Eastern Plaguelands (EPL). Then of course, recall Icecrown. The Lich King's backyard, an entire zone swarming with the Scourge. That whole zone was ominous and dangerous - one of the highest level zones of the previous expansion.

As I tried to convince a dwarf named Fanny, to marry another dwarf (firebeard i think?), then subsequently went to gather items for their wedding....I couldn't help but think that this zone, the highest lvl and in theory the most dangerous zone of all, doesn't seem all that foreboding. Then I went exploring....yes there's the giant tenticle monster Iso'rath - which was cool. And there's that place over by the Twilight Citadel. But overall the majority of the zone is about as scary/epic as say borean tundra.

That's cool if you disagree with me...but think about Icecrown. Picture that zone in your mind, then think about TH. There's only a few spots of the zone that's effed up. I would think the whole place would be effed up - as was the case with previous expansions.

Having to collect the heads of Za, Phod, Beeble, and Brox made twilight highlands the bestest zone evar

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that it does not feel as 'Epic' as the other final zones. But we do have the dragons trying to push them back along with the Wildhammer, so that is something.

(I don't mention Horde because I play a Dwarf and I consider the Horde below me and a bunch of bitches )
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Before you get to Iso'rath, the zone is a little silly. I found it a little disconcerting to be composing a love song involving the word "chest" while I could see a giant freaking tentacle monster in the background. Starting with the wedding itself tho, things ramp up very nicely. Overall not as enjoyable/epic as Uldum, but still pretty cool.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    So the whole twilight subzone doesn't seem ominous? What about the butchered red dragons hung like slaughtered pigs and torn to pieces?

Sorry, Twilights are the worst bastards ever. There is no ancient power driving them directly, they aren't mindless undeads. They're insanely cruel and give me the creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Having to collect the heads of Za, Phod, Beeble, and Brox made twilight highlands the bestest zone evar
    This times infinity! :-) I LOL'd so hard that my wife had to ask if I was okay and made me explain it to her.

OT: I do agree with the OP. I found myself asking numerous times, "Is there a zone after this one? Is this really the end of the leveling experience for this xpac?" To be honest, I start playing WoW a few months before WotLK came out. So, I didn't really spend a lot of time in Outlands. As soon as I could go to Northrend, I did... so I can't really speak to Shadowmoon Valley that much. But Icecrown - almost exactly what I expected; dark, cold, dangerous feeling. Maybe it was the thought that the Lich King was in theory sitting right there in that talk tower, but whatever it was, it was definitely a feeling of "This is IT!"

TH just doesn't really have that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    Twilight Highlands is currently the highest level zone in the expansion, the planet of azeroth, and the overall game. As I was questing thru the zone the other day, something struck me as being a little odd. Twilight Highlands (hereafter, TH) doesn't quite seem as ominous as previous highest level zones. Think about Shadowmoon Valley (SV) for burning crusade. THink about Silithus or Eastern Plaguelands (EPL). Then of course, recall Icecrown. The Lich King's backyard, an entire zone swarming with the Scourge. That whole zone was ominous and dangerous - one of the highest level zones of the previous expansion.

As I tried to convince a dwarf named Fanny, to marry another dwarf (firebeard i think?), then subsequently went to gather items for their wedding....I couldn't help but think that this zone, the highest lvl and in theory the most dangerous zone of all, doesn't seem all that foreboding. Then I went exploring....yes there's the giant tenticle monster Iso'rath - which was cool. And there's that place over by the Twilight Citadel. But overall the majority of the zone is about as scary/epic as say borean tundra.

That's cool if you disagree with me...but think about Icecrown. Picture that zone in your mind, then think about TH. There's only a few spots of the zone that's effed up. I would think the whole place would be effed up - as was the case with previous expansions.
    Don't laugh at me but borean tundra gave me nightmares for 2 weeks.

I believe new content to be added, Silithus was NOTHING at the beginning of WoW, half of Silithus was not there, there weren't Quests, everything was an Elite you couldn't kill.

The whole world has been torn apart, Deathwing burnt entire zones one by one, and every zone you go through from 80-85 shows Deathwings curruption, but since the ground isn't a dark color and fire isn't constantly raining down from the sky you're not happy? Seriously though, Cata was a lot of work for the designers, don't show disrespect for their work because the last zone isn't as morbid as you dreamed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you completed all the quests in the zone? Two (!!) rather epic battles occur here; I enjoyed questing in this zone very much.

Deleted
    Some of the quests were cool but I found it to be a massive pain in the ass. The quest where you have to break the kegs and collect the dwarven food was so irritating, I'd loot one bit of food and then all the mobs would appear. Kill all of them, loot more food, more mobs AGAIN. I died over and over and over doing that quest.

Call me a scrooge I thought it was alright, but there were some things I would have changed. Compared to other end of expansion " " zones it wasn't as intimidating. I don't really feel threatened by the Twilight cult like I did with the lich king in his castle, surrounded by his elite cronies and eons of scourge (sp?)

Another thing that irritated me is that most of the cutscenes bugged and I was sat there staring at my water elementals ass for 2 minutes (Literally right up its ass, how does that even happen?) I could hear all the action but all I could see was this watery butthole. (Thats disgusting, I apologise.)

Overall cool looking zone. Mobs aren't too bad I guess. I Got raped sometimes because frost mages IB does fuck all now days apparently. It just felt like they made the final stretch a chore. Great work though, developers did a top job.

Deleted
    Well im use my level 80 druid to farm for me there, have no problems with mobs at all nothing about that zone is difficult but full of nodes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasgart View Post
    Sorry, Twilights are the worst bastards ever. There is no ancient power driving them directly, they aren't mindless undeads. They're insanely cruel and give me the creeps.
    Well, Twilight Hammer is the Old Gods' tool. Good example of how a bunch of gullible idiots can be extremely dangerous if given power.

If you ask me Twilight Highlands are the most ominous zone ingame for exactly the same reason why you find it boring - it's just a normal place - war-ridden, yes, but normal. Or is it...?
    Just like horror movies that keep you imagining 'what is hiding in that shadow...' are far more terrifying than ones with hectoliters of fake blood gushing on the camera.

Hyjal was the most epic (The ending quests)

Though off-topic, I feel they screwed up the achievements for quests... Hyjal I got the achievement 5-10 quests before killing Ragnaros which made the zone epic for me

Deepholm was ok

Twilight Highlands... I got the achievement at 65% to 85, I dinged 85 before I finished the quests and did Skullcrusher the Mountain etc. as 85.

For the other zones, no comment.

Back on-topic, Twilight Highlands was kind of boring especially the starter quests they made me feel trapped, almost Sholozar-esque until I got a few FPs and the portal up.

I agree. It's a good zone and all with some really epic quests, but... it's got nothing on Icecrown in terms of overall experience.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticroots View Post
    Well im use my level 80 druid to farm for me there, have no problems with mobs at all nothing about that zone is difficult but full of nodes
    This is a WIN for sure, I do the same as my Druid is both herber/miner, and with 310% flying speed in flight form, its a bonanza for gathering Durids!

15+ Year Old Account
    You roll alliance and then wonder why they give you picnic quests? C'mon. Isn't this kind of stuff the reason you rolled alliance to begin with?

Let's cut it out with the faction bashing going on, or the thread will get closed out.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

It did feel a little too "green" for my liking - for a closing zone that is. I liked some of the chains and all, but didn't have the "end is near!!" feel to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quest-wise I didn't enjoy it as much as Uldum, but the style of the zone makes it one of my favorites in the game. I like it green!