Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Survival trinkets

hello,i'm a survival hunter and i have a question about my trinket choise...

atm i have:

Tia's Grace Heroic
    Key to the Endless Chamber Heroic
    Skardyn's Grace Heroic

I think Tia's grace is the best off the 3 but i'm still thinking wich one is the best as second trinket

Ps. i'm not hit capped without key to the endless chamber (reforged so the stats are 171 hit and 114 mastery)
    So if i take Skardyn's Grace u will need to reforge crit/haste to hit

Get key if you are lacking it.. well get it anyway and then reforge hit away it is best

Quote Originally Posted by kevindv View Post
    So if i take Skardyn's Grace u will need to reforge crit/haste to hit
    No. Don't reforge crit/haste to hit. Our stats goes like:

1. Agility
    2. Hit, if not hitcapped.
    3. Crit
    4. Haste
    5. Mastery

Therefore you should reforge your mastery into hit instead. And all the mastery you have over, you should make into crit. If the item already have crit, go for haste with it.

About the trinkets I think you should go for the key. Seeing it proccs 1710 agility, which is 1/3 of a heroic geared hunters agility at the moment. And seeing agility is our primary stat, it's a huge boost. And you need the hit anyways. And make all mastery into crit.
    When I want to log out, where's the save button? I can't find it anywhere, been logged in for three years now.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Upptagen View Post

1. Agility
    3. Crit
    4. Haste
    5. Mastery

Therefore you should reforge your mastery into hit instead. And all the mastery you have over, you should make into crit. If the item already have crit, go for haste with it.

About the trinkets I think you should go for the key. Seeing it proccs 1710 agility, which is 1/3 of a heroic geared hunters agility at the moment. And seeing agility is our primary stat, it's a huge boost. And you need the hit anyways. And make all mastery into crit.
    thx for the quick reply...
    Ok it seems i did alot wrong, i though mastery was one off the biggest stat for a sv hunter.
    So i should reforge all mastery into crit and haste? will the dps raise ?

Mastery is most often better than haste, but haste at certain percentages is the best stat due to shot shifting. You should be reforging extra hit and haste to crit and then mastery.

For raiding I'd be inclined to Skardyn's grace but for heroics the Key will have quite high uptime due to delay between pulls and between breaking CC etc which makes its comparative value go up. That said for fights/ achievements with a specific burn phase grace can do quite well. Final boss in HoO or Grim batol for example.

Where does Grace of the Herald from BRC rank? I would have thought it was better than Skardyn's Grace.

i am sorry but you guys are terribly wrong SV hunter will go for agi>hit>mastery>crit>haste anyone that argues this needs to learn to read or check out the ,astery again it increase all of our damage to all of our shot is sv, i raid and even on constant movement fight i pull 15k min

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1207 View Post
    i am sorry but you guys are terribly wrong SV hunter will go for agi>hit>mastery>crit>haste anyone that argues this needs to learn to read or check out the ,astery again it increase all of our damage to all of our shot is sv, i raid and even on constant movement fight i pull 15k min
    First: How about a little better grammar and/or punctuation before flaming us.

Second: Mastery doesn't increase all of our damage done, since it doesn't affect our auto-shots, Kill Shot, nor our pet's damage.

Not saying Mastery isn't good or anything, just pointing out your errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintd View Post
    Mastery is most often better than haste, but haste at certain percentages is the best stat due to shot shifting. You should be reforging extra hit and haste to crit and then mastery.
    It depends how much mastery you have to reforge to get that 7.2-7.5% haste for 3 cobras per explosive shot. In my case i lose too much mastery, even though haste is a very powerful stat once past 6.5%, spreadsheet still lays out worse dps for me than just using mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will never understand why so many hunters have a problem with this, HIT CAP is far more important than any other stat, so thatcrap about Agi > hit is wrong. Once you're hit capped, then obviously Agi, but until you get hit cap, dont gem/do anything else besides reach that cap.

First of all, damn you for having good trinkets, i'm having a hard time getting them as well as a new freakin stat stick. Secondly, I would go for the second two on your list without a doubt (key and Skardyn's). The agil proc on the key is awesome and the passive agility on Skardyn's makes up for the meh mastery proc imo....though that proc might prove very nice to use during an LnL. As far as hit, its very important to be hit capped, don't let any idiot tell you otherwise...its very easy to reach as well.

No, Agi > Hit is indeed correct, but with reforging it is currently impossible to not be hit capped unless you're lazy.

Use Tia's + Skardyn's. Reforge Tia's to Hit unless you prefer to reforge some Crit instead. What stats you reforge as SV is purely optional as long as you maintain your hit cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadell View Post
    I will never understand why so many hunters have a problem with this, HIT CAP is far more important than any other stat, so thatcrap about Agi > hit is wrong. Once you're hit capped, then obviously Agi, but until you get hit cap, dont gem/do anything else besides reach that cap.
    Reaching the hit cap is absolutely trivial with reforging, so it's scarcely even an issue.

10+ Year Old Account

1. Agility
    3. Crit
    4. Haste
    5. Mastery

This post is a little misleading. You always need to hit cap yourself, no matter what. If you're not hit capped, you may have unpredictable fluctuations with your DPS. Also, since there is a clearly defined cap on hit (961 hit rating or 8.0%), you will know when you have enchanted/reforged/gemmed for it enough. After that limit has been reached, then you prioritize gemming/enchanting for Agility, and other stats as previously listed by the OP. Other than that, the OP was correct with his stat priorities listing.

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    What stats you reforge as SV is purely optional as long as you maintain your hit cap.
    This statement is not necessarily true if you're seeking to get the maximum out of your gear. Rules of thumb: a piece of gear has crit and mastery, leave it alone. Gear has Crit and haste, reforge haste to mastery. Gear has mastery and haste, reforge haste to crit. Gear has hit and crit, reforge excess hit to mastery if hit isn't needed, and do not reforge at all if hit is needed. Hit and haste, reforge haste to crit if hit is needed, hit to crit if not. Hit and mastery, reforge hit to crit or mastery to crit depending if hit is needed or not.
    In all cases, any reforging to hit should ideally be done in the order of haste to hit, then mastery to hit, then crit to hit. Try to avoid ever reforging crit or mastery to hit, if you can help it.

Those are the 'rules' I've been going by when reforging my gear, anyhow.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-12-20 at 08:02 PM.

...it's been shown repeatedly that Agi is a higher priority to Hit even if you're not capped and have no way to get to the cap except to drop Agi. The only reason the Key is worth mentioning is that it has an Agility proc. That proc is worth ~270 Agi average, which means Tia's and Skardyn's both average higher Agility. Tia's > Key, Skardyn's > Key. You can always reforge to whatever hit you need. You should always be optimizing Agi on gear, not worrying about Hit.

Edit: And Herecius, the DPS gain from reforging in the manner you're suggesting is infinitesimal. You are 'maximizing' in a manner which can not be measured in game. There is virtually no difference between reforging Haste > Mastery > Crit all the way to Crit > Mastery > Haste, or even Mastery > Haste > Crit. You're talking about hundredths of a percentage of DPS gained over 10k iterations on a spreadsheet using a model.
    Last edited by harky; 2010-12-20 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    ...it's been shown repeatedly that Agi is a higher priority to Hit even if you're not capped and have no way to get to the cap except to drop Agi. The only reason the Key is worth mentioning is that it has an Agility proc. That proc is worth ~270 Agi average, which means Tia's and Skardyn's both average higher Agility. Tia's > Key, Skardyn's > Key. You can always reforge to whatever hit you need. You should always be optimizing Agi on gear, not worrying about Hit.
    The only time you'll ever lose agility due to needing hit is if you're gemming hit, which you should never do because, again, reforging makes hitting the hit cap trivial.

You have the option to reforge any of the other stats around. You can change crit to hit, hit to mastery, mix and match whatever you want. You do not have the option to reforge into agility. Your best bet is to get two +agi trinkets. Either static +agi with different on use/proc effects, or the Tia's Grace for raiding. It may be useful for heroics too, but I don't know if the uptime will keep its average agility high enough.

After that, modify your other gear's secondary stats. Any trinket with a proc or on-use +agi ability (other than the stacking ones like Tia's Grace) is going to have a lower average Agi boost than the static trinkets. The Key has a 1710 agi proc, but only 15s uptime, with most likely a 2 minutes ICD. That's only going to average out to a little under 200 Agi.

Now, if you can't get your hands on whatever trinket you want, the Tia's + Skardyn's is probably the best combination. It should give you (after a small ramp-up time) 340 + 285 agility, 285 mastery and ~240 mastery if you keep Skardyn's on CD. 625 agility and 525 mastery. Compare to Tia's + Key with 340 + ~200 agi, 285 hit, 285 mastery. 540 Agi and 570 secondary stats. No hunter should want to trade ~85 Agi for 55 secondary stats. Reforge to get to your hit cap (or enchant, if the slot has not +Agi enchant available).

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    The only time you'll ever lose agility due to needing hit is if you're gemming hit, which you should never do because, again, reforging makes hitting the hit cap trivial.
    Let me try to underline that so it's easier to read:
    ...it's been shown repeatedly that Agi is a higher priority to Hit even if you're not capped and have no way to get to the cap except to drop Agi.
    That is why it is Agi > Hit (to cap), not Hit (to cap) > Agi.