Thread: Lightwell Help

Lightwell Help

Given that we are trying to teach the DPS players to use our Lightwell when they need health instead of assuming we'll heal them back to full, I was wondering if there was a macro that would announce that you are using your Lightwell AS WELL AS ping the map to where you eventually set the Lightwell's location. I am a "Wrath Baby" and I am rather inexperienced with writing more than the basic macros. Any help or suggestions would be grateful, thanks.

Deleted
    i was using this for my mana tide. I guess it can work with your lightwell as well :

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /p ***Lightwell***
    /yell ***Lightwell***
    /script Minimap:PingLocation(0.0)
    /cast Lightwell or whatever u want
    It will ping the map on your location though. dunno how to make it to ping some other spot

you prob don't need to ping the location, it is pretty visible.

What I would do is have the macro post a sentence encouraging the group to use it.

"Attention, lightwell incoming, please use it so you don't die"
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    -John Galt

I simply add an announcment to the spell using a macro. It goes like this:

#showtooltip Lightwell
    /Cast Lightwell
    /raid <<Lightwell Dropped>>
    /p <<DPS Use the Lightwell to Heal Yourself>>

You can make your message say anything you like. I've seen some very clever ones like "My mana is for the tank, the Lightwell is for you"

My guild mates have come to love the lightwell. The only time they don't love it is when they can't find it or it has expired and the cooldown is still up. As far as them knowing where it is, if you drop it in a reasonable place (takes a little experience with each fight) BEFORE the pull they have no excuse for not knowing where it is. Some fights are high movement like the VP tornado/upwind/downwind boss and it is difficult to use there but not impossible. DPS and tanks are both learning what a great healing tool this portable first aid station really is, thanks to a concerted effort on the part of many holy priests to educate them. I love getting questions about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the rare occasions that I run with one or more randoms, I have a macro that I use before a boss fight. It says something like "There will be a Lightwell. If you take avoidable damage I expected you to click it. If you feel like I'm not healing you enough, click the Lightwell."
    Then I have a macro that triggers when I actually put down a Lightwell which goes: "Putting down a Lightwell: Free heals dispenser."
    Resurrected Holy Priest

As a melee, I pledge to click the sh*t out of your lightwell.

<3 Lightwell.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

Rsa

A lightwell macro is inherently problematic due to it requisite two client events: clicking the macro and then targeting the spell.

Find RSA - Raeli's Spell Announcer on Curse.com.

RSA announces when the spell is actually targeted instead of when the macro is hit which saves some confusion and a macro slot (way valuable in my case)!

Use responsibly, don't spam :P

I just use a simple macro for my lightwell when I place it down

#showtooltip Lightwell
    /s (Name)'s Lightwell has been placed. Please make use of it!
    /cast Lighwell

Thats all I do and it works 99% of the time people use it and pay attention to it.

The best way to get DPS players to use lightwell is not heal them, or run with people who don't suck. If they can't figure out how to click a lightwell they can't dodge fire.

/cast Lightwell
    /yell USE THE DAMN LIGHTWELL!

Deleted
    i use
    /cast Lightwell
    <Yell: LIGHTWELLS ARE SHINY, LOVE IT!> .

some people just dont love it though ;< most even!

I think its going to be atleast another 1-2 months before players catch on to using a Lightwell as more guilds start raiding soon and they will see the absolute requirement of its use.

Deleted
    Some examples I think are funny!

/y...
    Live or Die, Lightwell is up!
    Jigsaw: I've given you a Lightwell. Live or die, make your choise!
    USE...THE...DAMN...LIGHTWELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    Lightwell is up, /afk !!!!!!

Deleted
    I put the lightwell down b4 a pull.. right up in there faces. They still don't use it. I say politely "Please use the lightwell, if u are near it."
    They don't. Do they think that clicking on the lightwell will decrease there dps uptime? o.0 (Maybe if they click the lightwell, they think it will mess up clicking there spells?) lol..

Lightwell is my new best friend. I use it myself all the time <3

Quote Originally Posted by Nartalath View Post
    As a melee, I pledge to click the sh*t out of your lightwell.

<3 Lightwell.
    /hug

Thank you. Now, just teach the rest of your friends and everything will be perfect!

After seeing this thread I used RSA and made the default say: "Lightwell is up! If you're taking avoidable damage or feel like I'm not healing you enough, please use it!"

It's just my experience but I've tried out several macros and from what I can tell the ones that take blame OFF of the DPS tend to make them click it more. For example:

"If you're taking damage, use the lightwell." can be read as more "it's your issue, not mine."

Where as "If you feel that I'm not healing you enough, please use the lightwell." puts the blame on me and can be read as "I'm not able to heal like a pro, so please help me!"

Do I agree with this logic? Not particularly, but in the interest of getting the heroics done: who really cares? *shrug*

I've only had one person give a negative response to my new macro, and that was a DK worgen tank who said "Don't expect us to use lightwell as a crutch for your bad healing. 7k healing doesn't do anything in 100k health pools." I simply told him that "lightwell is the most efficient heal in the game and it IS my healing spell." You can guess how well that group ended up going, of course, but the DPS were awesome and did click it, and we did get farther than I expected!

I do a couple of things.

First off, I pug a lot, leveling a newbie gnome priest entirely through instances (Dungeon Finder is great.....). So, I've set up a macro, which basically asks my group to please use my lightwells, and point out that its not really any different than simply staying out of the fire. It does a say, and then tosses out the fort buff. I do this before the first pull, after everyone has ported in. Its in /say, which is the least intrusive method I can think of. It is carefully neutral, and asks them to help me help them. I figure this is part of properly using the tool - making sure that my targets know how to respond to it. I do point out the realities - mana is more challenging for priests since cata (not so much at the levels I'm at, but heck, this is training, right?), using it is pretty easy, and really no harder than moving to step out of the fire, and I really do appreciate their cooperation.

Next, I use RSA (a tremendous tip there - thanks!) to notify the group when I've dropped a lightwell. I use it whenever a pull gets a little complicated (lots of AOE), if we encounter too many adds, or if I'm starting to get a little concerned about mana. I'll also use it on bosses who toss around AE abilities. My goal is to help folks get used to seeing it, and using it, while leveling up their alts, so that if it comes up in a raid, they expect it.

Thus far, I've never had negative feedback. I've had a couple of people comment positively, and generally good usage rates (typically at least half my group - and surprisingly, most often the tank - use it consistently). As RSA also notes who uses it, which is great, I've also noticed a couple of times where someone other than the tank is consistently taking damage and not using the well - that is the only case where I may politely whisper them. I've done that a few times, and every time, gotten positive response. Bear in mind these are people pugging in dungeon finder. They are likely playing alts, don't generally care what other people think, and know it to be likely I'll never see them again. And yet, I see a whole lot of using it. To me, that is a great thing. I am typically disregarding the folks who use it heavily when they are at full health after a fight - figure, by then its done its job, and maybe if they play with it enough, they'll use it in combat next time. Sometimes, they do.

Perhaps its all in presentation. Perhaps conceptions of how useful lightwell can be are changing. Perhaps I'm just lucky. But, at this stage, lightwell has become a critical tool in my arsenal, and the biggest reason I specced holy (main was a somewhat unwilling disc all through wrath) as soon as I could get the talent points to activate it. I'm enjoying refining my sense of timing and placement, and at this stage wouldn't have nearly as much fun without it.
    Last edited by khaspir; 2010-12-24 at 10:16 PM.