Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Doctor Deanster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    warcraft's main villain is sargeras. he either destroys planets or lets his burning legion take over them. how can arthas prove to be more of a threat than that?

10+ Year Old Account
    *cringes* Many people I know would actually consider Arthas to be the worst and least thought out character in Warcraft lore. This post hurts.

Deleted
    In an MMORPG it's more about you and your friends than Arthas or whoever else. At least that's my opinion. We are the heros, not the lvl ?? npcs standing around doing nothing.

Deleted
    I agree with the OP

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjingle View Post
    He's been the central character in warcraft since the game even had a story. His death was supposed to be meaningful and amount to something, but nothing would have changed if he was still alive. Not only is this terrible story progression, its showing that wow, like so many other franchises, has nothing more to tell but side stories until the dev team awakens from their 10-year slumber.

Heres to waiting for warcraft 4

edit:

im glad this is turning into a discussion.

people say arthas is just a side character in the warcraft series.

Arthas and his scourge:

- led Illidan to the skull of gul'dan, causing the events which lead to BC.

- RELOCATED both the entire alliance and the horde forces

- crippled the burning legion enough to prevent another invasion RoC

- had 2 warcraft games centered around him
    Warcraft started as Orcs and Humans, not Arthas and the Scourge. Given the original focus, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one.

He's been the central character in warcraft since the game even had a story. His death was supposed to be meaningful and amount to something, but nothing would have changed if he was still alive. Not only is this terrible story progression, its showing that wow, like so many other franchises, has nothing more to tell but side stories until the dev team awakens from their 10-year slumber.

Heres to waiting for warcraft 4

edit:

[COLOR="rgb(173, 216, 230)"] im glad this is turning into a discussion.

people say arthas is just a side character in the warcraft series.

Arthas and his scourge:

- crippled the burning legion enough that he was able to prevent another invasion in RoC

- had 2 warcraft games centered around him[/COLOR]
    No one cares, and I don't see any reason to care either. What is the alternative, to let him survive through all the expansions so that he is always the end boss, untill the game is over? In your imagination, would he win or would we win?
    WoW needs to go on, he is said to have been the hardest boss ever fought, and that's good enough. Now he is dead and the game goes on.
    Not all things in the Warcraft MMO are the same as the previous games and books (for instance you weren't in them). I recall having heard someone at Blizzard saying that in WoW we rewrite the history.
    Anyway, my conclusion is that the topic is dull and can go on for eternity (if I don't manage to kill it)
    More conclusion: Most people would agree that Cataclysm is better than WotLK, this would naturally make sense, as Blizzard are always trying to improve. If this is so, I don't see how WoW died with Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Well, it is kind of true.

Arthas was THE villain in Warcraft. Most players who were introduced to Warcraft, were during Warcraft 3 and WoW. Warcraft 3 added pretty much most of the lore into the game (Azeroth became a full planet with many continents, long history of different races and nations,...). Of course the game had a big story before as well, but the WORLD of warcraft was shaped up in Warcraft 3. The plot developved further and further, as the socurge paved the way for the Legion, leading to events uniting the races of the Horde and Alliance into the respective factions. Arthas was THE character in WoW. Through him, the Scourge ravaged lordaeron and summoned Archimonde into the world. His death was the end of this long story.

The end of WoW is a bad term in my opinion, but it's definitely the end of a whole era of the story and the beggining of a new one.
    Warcraft 2 you should play it.

The Lich King was my favorite character, and I was sad to see him go. Was he poorly handled in WoW? Yes, he was written as a comic-book type villain, never unleashing his full potential and letting those trying to defeat him constantly escape without making a single serious attempt to kill them. Does it bother me? No, as his past makes up for what happened in WoTLK. His fate was well handled and came full circle.

The only thing that annoys me in WoW is they don't focus on the Burning Legion. Sargeras is never dealt with in the games, always outside of them in some novel. What we have now is this focus on the Old Gods and their corruption, while an army that threatens the entire universe, not just Azeroth, roams around destroying every living thing in their path. Deathwing has been an interesting character, but I'll reserve judgment until the end of Cataclysm.

And every step Illidan took after claiming the skull of Gul'dan was guided by Kil'jaeden, the being responsible for creating the Lich King.
    He did no such thing. The Horde relocated because of the demon invasion. Other than the loss of Lordaeron the Alliance hasn't budged.
    - crippled the burning legion enough that he was able to prevent another invasion in RoC
    He did not. And if he had tried Archimonde would have destroyed him. The Lich King was only able to break free of the Burning Legion's control because the alliance of night elves, humans and orcs defeated Archimonde.
    - had 2 warcraft games centered around him [/COLOR]
    Centered? Archimonde was the big bad of Reign of Chaos, with the Lich King as his flunky.

The Lich King and Arthas weren't in the spotlight until The Frozen Throne.

15+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, Arthas's story is the Scourge story and the Scourge's story isn't over with Sylvanas, the Forsaken and the Val'kyr.

i edited the original post. Also, warcraft 1 had no story, and there is no comparing the story in warcraft 2 to warcraft 3.
    The fact that the storytelling was not as developed as it was in Warcraft 3 does not invalidate the fact that it is part of the Warcraft series overarching lore. The lore of Medvh opening the Dark Portal, for example, is so intrinsically vital to the lore of Warcraft that the entire game series would essentially not exist without it.

The end of WoW will be with the death of Sargeras at level 100 in some future expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    In reality - regardless of how 'important' Arthas is, The Lich King simply cannot be as powerful as a dragon aspect.... such as Deathwing. And the bosses in coming expansions will have to much more powerful than Deathwing to make the story flow properly.

This is why I think either the Old Gods will appear in this expansion or the next, and that the Emerald Nightmare will play some part as a boss in some expansion (blah blah to you that say go read the books, I have, Blizzard won't let something go that easily I don't think - they want the dream in somewhere).

We'll have to have something to do with Sargeras in at SOME point in the game, whether it be WoW or the next part in the "series".
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Omg you Arthas Fanboi's.. drop it already. Warcraft was a strong game and had cult followers before Arthas was even a thought for developers. The story does not revolve around him.

It was around before him.. it will continue without him.

wow did not end with arthas, arthas ended with wotlk x-pac

:-)
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    -John Galt

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW did not end with Arthas.

It's World of Warcraft, not World of Arthas, there is still a whole other world, teaming with many aspects, and potential super bad guys to step up, once one gets knocked down, more threats still arise.

The Arthas story line ended with the Death of Artahs, not the World of Warcraft stroy line.

There was Warcraft before Arthas, there will be Warcraft after Arthas.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

i edited the original post. Also, warcraft 1 had no story, and there is no comparing the story in warcraft 2 to warcraft 3.
    You seriously think this game is based on Arthas? Read some books and lore and then come back to us. Deathwing was in Warcraft II and look! He's in cataclysm also. He has 2 games that revolve around him, does it mean that WoW will end with Deathwing? No, get your facts straight. Arthas's part in the Warcraft lore is MINISCULE compared to everything else. Judging by your post, you've played Warcraft 3 and only Warcraft 3 and read 0 books or lores and you're a HUGE arthas fanboy. I'm guessing you've never heard of the titans, Sargeras, or the dragon aspects now, have you?
    Playing 2's is like shooting yourself in the kneecaps and wondering why it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by kraeden View Post
    The end of WoW will be with the death of Sargeras at level 100 in some future expansion
    That's when we find out Sargeras is actually the leader of the Protoss and World of Starcraft comes out and they say "Titan was a lie!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol Arthas.... Even Anub'Arak is more badarse than Arthas...

15+ Year Old Account
    - had 2 warcraft games centered around him
    If you mean WC3 and WC3-TFT, then yes. Otherwise, no.