Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Chakra: Sanctuary vs Healing Rain

I was running some heroics yesterday with a few guildmates and noticed that the enhance shaman in our group's healing rain ticked for waaay more than my Chakra:sanc aoe and was wondering if anyone knows if this is intentional or not... We're both ilvl 342 and my sanctuary ticks for about 650 while his healing rain ticks for over 1100. Similarily, the druid ground aoe you can stand in (effloresence or something) ticks for even less than my sanctuary (from what i've been told by our 339 druid)

Why such a discrepancy with the aoe heals you can stand in? Not to mention the long cooldown on ours. Also, why the bloody hell can an enhance sham get more healing out or a similar design spell? Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have them pop in in heavy aoe dmg but I would have thought that a mainspecced healer with similar mechanic would be able to do much more.

I'm just a bit confused as to the design philosophy behind this one... Anyone else?

It is why nobody uses HW: Sanctuary anymore. At a whopping 8200mana, the spell just lacks the umph needed to keep people alive. I agree the amount is just too low compared to other classes but still is a bad healing spell. If the spell actually lasted longer I could see it being more viable but at 18secs, there are far better tools to use.

Well, the efflorescence effect, if I remember correctly, has a diminished effect if there are more than 6 or 8 people standing in the glowy green circle. Not sure if Sanctuary or the other ones do as well.

I rarely use sanctuary, renew and chakara heal usually does the job for me, refreshing renew makes it worth casting, if DPS is dying to fast too do this then you're either fighting a very heavy AE boss or dps is standing in fire.
    Last edited by zenkai; 2010-12-21 at 03:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpowr View Post
    It is why nobody uses HW: Sanctuary anymore. At a whopping 8200mana, the spell just lacks the umph needed to keep people alive. I agree the amount is just too low compared to other classes but still is a bad healing spell. If the spell actually lasted longer I could see it being more viable but at 18secs, there are far better tools to use.
    Well once you are able to cast HW:Sanctuary it has a infinite cast time and at 8200 mana its 2000ish cheaper then healing rain and its lasts for 8 seconds longer, and healing rain has a 2 second cast time.

So it seems fair imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do they cost the same amount of mana?

I'm guessing no (and by guessing I really mean guessing since I don't know the costs of the spells/talents).

Quote Originally Posted by Lillshaman View Post
    Well once you are able to cast HW:Sanctuary it has a infinite cast time and at 8200 mana its 2000ish cheaper then healing rain and its lasts for 8 seconds longer, and healing rain has a 2 second cast time.

So it seems fair imo.
    ^^ Sounds fair then.

I've been wondering about this myself. I personally came to the conclusion that the HPM just wasn't worth it. Two casts of PoH seem to come out ahead in terms of effective healing and HPM. I'd love to hear from others though that have had a good experience with this spell.

An enhance shaman casting healing rain with 5 stacks of maelstrom weapon is doing so instantly and at zero cost, 1 stack of maelstrom reduces the cost of any heal spell by 20% stacking up to 5 times.

Healing rain heals for way too much imo, when i did a raid last week healing rain was top of healing on the shamans spells and 2nd in line was the healing stream totem, then chain heal, sanct heals for so little.

But thats in raids, not sure about heroics.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    On a fight like Chimaeron in 25man, before Feud started, my HW: sanct healed 40k ( )... well for it's mana cost I could cast 1 PoH + 1 CoH which would heal for like 100k+. It ticked for like 200 normal hit / player in 25. :<

When I'm Resto, my Healing Rain heals for around ~1600 a tick w/38% mastery currently (Deep Healing), and it crits for ~2400, plus has a 20% chance to add a small HoT every time it heals someone (Earthliving weapon proc).
    I also have around 5500 SP currently.

*shrug*
    Chain Heal was nerfed big time though, otherwise the two combined would be super OP.

Yeah I've never casted Sanctuary in a 5-man. That would be a total waste of mana right there. Even in 25 mans, it just doesn't seem to be worth the cost. There are just too many fights where you group up for a short time, but then have to spread back out....I rarely see a video where people are able to be grouped up long enough to get the full benefit. Magmaw would be one example I guess. Next time I do Argaloth I might try to drop it on my group but what I do worked well enough for me to get the #1 ranking for holy priests on 10 man so I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing which is avoiding the use of Sanctuary.

I'd still like to hear from any holy priests that have had good success with this spell.

I used sanct alot on magmaw, it was just trying it out my gears not that great but was giving our 13k hps with PoH/renew/coh as top heals sanct healed okay we had 3 holy priests though so we have it placed in 3 grps it seemed to work out okay but it doesn't heal for that much.

Deleted
    IMHO you cannot compare what is not comparable,

what is great with holy is that we have a lot of tools to heal in a lot of differents situations. The point with HW:S is that it's instant, it's here for 18 sec, it an AOE Heal... wich means, in the situation where you need a heavy group heal to do and if it's just a little predictible, and if we don't have a large mana issue, it's the spell to cast. you sure will be able to heal more with the same amount of mana, but HPM is definitly not anymore the only aspect we have to consider to heal a situation^^.

but I do agree, atm this spell is a little too weak to be usefull often enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Oasy View Post
    IMHO you cannot compare what is not comparable,

what is great with holy is that we have a lot of tools to heal in a lot of differents situations. The point with HW:S is that it's instant, it's here for 18 sec, it an AOE Heal... wich means, in the situation where you need a heavy group heal to do and if it's just a little predictible, and if we don't have a large mana issue, it's the spell to cast. you sure will be able to heal more with the same amount of mana, but HPM is definitly not anymore the only aspect we have to consider to heal a situation^^.

but I do agree, atm this spell is a little too weak to be usefull often enough.
    " in the situation where you need a heavy group heal to do and if it's just a little predictible, and if we don't have a large mana issue, it's the spell to cast"
    As Holy in a 10men raid, I can say, that THIS was never the case.
    If there is much AoEdamage, a PoH heals a way more then wasting a 1.3sec GCD for this Spell, and the AoEphase never last long enough, so that the Heal/executetime would be worth it to cast it.
    And I never had such low Mana issues that I can waste 8k Mana.

I have used HW:S a lot when I run 5 mans with all Melee (it's like having 4 tanks to heal, lol). I have found that melee classes take a ton more damage than caster dps so it is nice to drop the HW:S around the tank and the dps to help maintain health bars as I cast PoH. That being said, I due notice my mana being drained MUCH faster when having only melee in a group... Nevertheless, it is a great tool to use I just wish we didn't need to be in a certain chakra state to use it; but that part of the gifts and curses of being priest.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hresna View Post
    I was running some heroics yesterday with a few guildmates and noticed that the enhance shaman in our group's healing rain ticked for waaay more than my Chakra:sanc aoe and was wondering if anyone knows if this is intentional or not... We're both ilvl 342 and my sanctuary ticks for about 650 while his healing rain ticks for over 1100. Similarily, the druid ground aoe you can stand in (effloresence or something) ticks for even less than my sanctuary (from what i've been told by our 339 druid)

Why such a discrepancy with the aoe heals you can stand in? Not to mention the long cooldown on ours. Also, why the bloody hell can an enhance sham get more healing out or a similar design spell? Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have them pop in in heavy aoe dmg but I would have thought that a mainspecced healer with similar mechanic would be able to do much more.

I'm just a bit confused as to the design philosophy behind this one... Anyone else?
    enhancement has a surprisingly high amount of spell power, when i get my trinket to proc along with totems being down and my alchemy flask i have upwards of 10k spell power

Ret pallies have good aoe heal too.
    ~900 per tick on closest targets
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

Our shamans healing rain heals for 1100-3.5k per person in it, higher numbers with less people obviously. In the same spot my sanc will only tick for about 300-900.

His healing rain can heal upwards of 400k in an encounter, and if I use my sanc just as many times as he uses his healing rain, mine will heal less then 100k. At this point it is not even worth using Sanctuary, which is really saddening as we basically lose the ability to use our Holy word when AoE healing. Its just not worth the mana for how much healing goes out at all.

It really needs a tweak on how much it heals to put it more in line with Healing Rain, otherwise I can't see myself ever using it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Well, the efflorescence effect, if I remember correctly, has a diminished effect if there are more than 6 or 8 people standing in the glowy green circle. Not sure if Sanctuary or the other ones do as well.
    All the stupid Ground effect heal spells have deminishing returns after 6 ppl standing in them (Holy Word: Sanctuary on halion 25 hm gg, you know what i mean if you been there).

Efflorscence or whatever it's called heals for more than our Sanctuary, which is stupid as it proccs of Swiftmend crits. My holy word heals for 480ish in raids (I don't really use it on less than 10 ppl so dunno what it heals for at max) and then I see this shaman healing rain crit me for 3.4k, wtf? I'm sitting at 6.6k sp without int trinkets so it can easily do more.

Same cast time, same mana (it's 9080ish and not 8200), although our have 8 sec longer duration it shouldn't be That much of a healing different.

PS: Nonetheless Holy Word: Sanctuary is a great fight in cataclysm 25 hardmode, Nefarian, alibaba council air platform, Omitron (First boss golems, weird name), maloriak, halfus, cho'gall are the fights I been using this mainly at. So sure it does have several purposes. Just drop it and keep doing your other spells. It might be a bit weak but it's far from bad or inefficient.

TL;DR 0.3 sec cast time, 18 sec duration, can cast other spells while it's down = Good. Learn to use it correctly.