Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

This game needs Vanilla/TBC servers

Ok I am expecting to be flamed here but...

I'm tired of the fly mounts. I'm tired of no World PVP. I'm fed up of having no sense of achievement with anything on this game.

I miss the Tarren Mill battles, having to run to the summon stone to do a dungeon, challenging dungeons, getting my first mount at level 40 and feeling the sense of achievement when I got it.

I know that Vanilla wasn't perfect, but it was a damn sight more fun and challenging than Cataclysm is today.

There are many, many people who have quit that would return the second Vanilla servers are opened, so what's stopping you Blizz?

Deleted
    Personally this doesn't affect me and I'm not sure the reasons you have given are all really needed but I also don't see why they don't have these servers for people that don't have all the expansions, even if it was just 1 server per expansion

what you are referring to is nostalgia, its is called that for a reason

I'm gonna rephrase your title: "I want Vanilla/TBC servers".
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Deleted
    This game needs less people who claim the game needs to go back in time...

Quote Originally Posted by machomann View Post

I'm tired of the fly mounts. I'm tired of no World PVP. I'm fed up of having no sense of achievement with anything on this game.

I miss the Tarren Mill battles, having to run to the summon stone to do a dungeon, challenging dungeons, getting my first mount at level 40 and feeling the sense of achievement when I got it.

I
    Me too .........
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I know that Vanilla wasn't perfect, but it was a damn sight more fun and challenging than Cataclysm is today.

There are many, many people who have quit that would return the second Vanilla servers are opened, so what's stopping you Blizz?
    I miss it too. I am still happily playing but I would make an alt on a Vanilla Server if they ever came out with them to relive some of my memories.

no we don't need vanilla/TBC because you are looking back with rose tinted specs. Sure vanilla was fun but it was unbalanced and there was very little to actually do in it compared to today. Today we are spoiled for choice in what to do (rated bg, arena, bgs, raids, dungeons, dailies, tol barad etc etc) Vanilla raids where shit 40 man raids where 10-15 people actually did anything and 25-30 people go carried along. And people who quit would not come back for vanilla servers and those that would would leave very quickly when they realise that only a very small minority of players actually want to play on a vanilla server.

It would send out a very bad message to the majority of the player base if they made vanilla servers and the costs of running the servers etc would probably not be covered by the renewed subscriptions. It would be a major step back for WOW and would probably kill the game (as droves leave due to the fact they are putting in an older version of the game instead of developing new stuff).

edit: the player base killed world PVP not blizzard. Tarren mill battles where fun but they where only fun because there was sod all else to do once blizzard added in bgs most people started doing them as they where a lot less hassle. And the challanging dungeons were where? The only thing challanging about dungeons was how bad the majority of the player base was (coming from a vanilla raid leader trust me todays average player is far far far better than vanillas average player).
    Last edited by Spikeychris; 2011-03-15 at 03:41 PM.

Deleted
    Only to quit a few months after because nothing is getting updated

If you're that desperate, play on a private realm or something

Btw...
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    We regularly see requests for us to open classic pre-TBC realms, or vanilla realms if you prefer, and lately we have also seen requests for pre-WotLK realms and even pre-Cataclysm realms. We have answered requests like these before saying that we have no plans to open such realms, and this is very much still the case today.

We realize that some of you feel that World of Warcraft was more fun in the past than it is today, and we also know that some of you would like nothing more than to go back and play the game as it was back then. The developers however prefer to see the game continuously evolve and progress, and as such we have no plans to open classic realms or limited expansion content realms.
    Source says hi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

This game needs Vanilla/TBC servers like I need a hole in the head.

I don't want to play a good game before it turned good. There was no flow in vanilla. Yes, I played back then. BC/WotLK was much more fun, not ot mention cata which I find to be just as good.

Blizzard won't do it because it'll cost them money. Money > happy gaming time (in their eyes)

This game needs more cowbell, and possibly cake or pie I haven't decided yet..

I definitely miss a few aspects of the game I started in early '06,
    But there were things back then I didn't like, and that have been changed with Catacylsm.

Blizz does not want to spend the resources to maintain 3 different games (which is essentially what they would have to do). They have their hands full with this one game.

imho - Vanilla/TBC servers would need to be justified from a market study that indicates that they will make signiifcant profit from it. From the complete lack of interest on almost all posts like these, I highly doubt that you will ever be able to justify it. Not enough people really want/care to do it.

I don't believe "many many people" people would return. More like a "tiny, insignificant amount". And the tiny amount of people that would return, would probably leave about 3 months later after the rosy colored nostalgia glasses wore off.

15+ Year Old Account
    This again? Ugh.

By many, you mean what, twenty? Grats, you'd have half of an MC raid or two full Karazhan groups.

By the way....LOL at vanilla was harder than Cataclysm. You must be the worst player ever in vanilla if you actually believe that. Ask Paragon's members which was actually harder, and they were a world top 5 guild in vanilla and #1 now. So I think they'd have a far better interpretation than you do with your rose-tinted glasses.

Also, BC introduced flying mounts. So "I'm tired of flying mounts" and "I want BC servers"....your logic, it does not compute.

Vanilla wasn't hard. It was tedious. Tedious =/= hard unless you can only play the game ten hours a week. So, basically, you're admitting to all of us that you were a casual. In vanilla. When casual really COULD be used as a derogatory term.

The only thing that maybe....MAYBE is being used very loosely here...made vanilla "hard" was the fact that it was so poorly designed that everything in it hindered the players moreso than helped them. Spirit on all your tanking gear. Or even on your DPS gear. For rogues. God awful trinket design (hunter T2 trinket says hi, I sucked worse than level 10 greens). Resistance checks. Which a resistance check doens't make a fight hard. It means you have to spend more gold/farm more garbage to make it's absurd amounts of damage that it shouldn't do in the first place less of a pain.

Oh, and all of those people who enjoy playing the following would never, ever, EVER show their faces on a vanilla only server.

-Protection paladin
    -Retribution paladin
    -Feral druid (kitty)
    -anyone playing a death knight
    -anyone playing a blood elf, worgen, goblin, or draenei
    -anyone with more than half a brain (because using three abilities in a fight is BOR-ASS-ING)

Your idea has been suggested since like, what, 3.0? The reasons for not making it are so obvious that the fact you can't even see them makes me believe you to be one of those people I would have on my ignore list after ten seconds of entering any dungeon with you, vanilla or otherwise.

Game now > game then. You're allowed to disagree. You can even quit if you want. But please, seriously, don't insult our intelligence with such a statement as "vanilla was harder than Cata". Vanilla was a joke. So was every guild and every person playing it back then. The game was only "hard" because we were all so terrible at a terribly designed game.

Take vanilla talents, gear, and ability and put it into Cataclysm dungeons designed as old 40-man raids. Guilds don't make it past something as easy as Atramedes. And Halfus? HA!

Take vanilla raids and tune them to maximum levels and actually balance the requirements for them, as they should have been all along. Know what you get? Naxxramas at level 80. Yeah. That same faceroll place you say was "omg so hard"...with exactly zero "hard" mechanics in every single fight.

Vanilla was hard. You make me laugh.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Living is past will cause you to miss the future.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I don't believe "many many people" people would return. More like a "tiny, insignificant amount". And the tiny amount of people that would return, would probably leave about 3 months later after the rosy colored nostalgia glasses wore off.
    This whole issue with locked-progression servers reminds of the entire argument twinks made about why they do it (to fight other twinks), then Blizzard gave them the option to turn off XP and fight against just twinks, and we all saw how active THAT scene is these days. I don't see it as being any different in this scenario, either. People will roll on the servers, and they'll slowly stop playing on them as it becomes apparent that, indeed, the grass is not greener on the other side.

Sorry if this has been stated already, but I would be willing to wager that most, if not all, of that code is gone. Forever. I too would like to be able to play the game the way it was back when the honor system was first introduced, before the first BG's. But a large part of what made those times special for me, were the people that I shared them with. Those people have either changed (including me) or no longer play. Not saying it wouldn't be fun or close to the same, I just don't believe that sort of player mentality exists anymore.
    Last edited by Palebane; 2011-03-15 at 03:55 PM.