New PC Help / Advice

So... I was gonna get some new parts for my PC after christmas and i wanted to try AMD this time instead of intel for some parts (and upgrade GPU later on) so basicly i was thinking

CPU - AMD Pheonom II 1055T 2.8GHz stock (Probs try OC to 3.5Ghz or so, Somthing where i dont have to fiddle with the volts at all really...)
    Mobo - MSI 870A-G54 AMD 870 (AM3 Socket)
    Ram -
    G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
    (Maybe get 2 lots of this for 8GB ram im not sure yet.

These the parts i "mostly" need, As 2GB of my ram kinda packed up, And my E8400 seems to feel so old these days.... Id be running this with my 800watt PSU and my BFG GeForce 260 Max OC. I will get an AMD card in the future but for now i cant get one with the build. What do you guys think or any recommendations on anything. Im no "pro" at ram or Mobos or even CPUs. I tend to read alot of reviews before making choises and i use to be a "If i reconise the name its good!" kinda people but im trying to branch out. Also... if there is anyone from UK who does self building gaming PC's where do you get your parts from. All i know off is Scan Ebuyer, Novatech, Aria and OverClockersUK. Other then that im pretty minamal on and would like to know more shops / sites who stock these things for maybe cheaper. So anyway i better shut up. If you want a more clear list of what the new build would be just say and how you think it would proform in games.

Get AMD PhenomII x4 955 instead, you'll save money and it will run faster in games than 6-core before and after overclocking.

Also don't bother with more than 4GB of RAM unless you notice at some point you need it, since most people dont. No current mainstream games WoW included will use more than 2GB of RAM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Hmm ^^ the x4 is only £120 so it is a good £30 cheaper, That can go towards a CPU cooler maybe. What kinda frames in WoW do you think id get with the x4 and my gtx 260?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    If you want 8gb, get 2x4gb. Phenoms get reeeeally fussy when you make them use more than 2 sticks.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If you want 8gb, get 2x4gb. Phenoms get reeeeally fussy when you make them use more than 2 sticks.

Will probs stick to 4GB for the start (2x 2gb) maybe change them later, With your system how does your WoW and other games play? never used AMD so... its all new to me :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Runs about the same as the i5 750 in my sig. There's a difference but its really hard to tell.
    i5 runs a bit cooler, but uses more power due to the 4870 versus the 6870 in my AMD tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Runs about the same as the i5 750 in my sig. There's a difference but its really hard to tell.
    i5 runs a bit cooler, but uses more power due to the 4870 versus the 6870 in my AMD tower.
    Nice WHat about frame rate wise and screen res (im on 1920 x 1080).

Forget the AMD and get a core i5-i7 PC instead. You will get much better results.

At stock speed i5-760 is about equal to x4 965. Overclocked i5 has advantage but also costs bit more. In either case i7 is useless for gaming computer and just costs extra with no benefit.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'd like to start off by saying "I am an Intel fanboy!" ok now that we have that established. Why are you wanting to go AMD?

Im already useing an Intel based PC and wanted to try an AMD build out and soon crossfire. Dont wanna stick to one brand, Wanna kinda swap about and see how things proform.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    At stock speed i5-760 is about equal to x4 965. Overclocked i5 has advantage but also costs bit more. In either case i7 is useless for gaming computer and just costs extra with no benefit.
    LOL What? Do you have any idea what the new chip architecture does for the i7 1366s on the X58 platform? ROFL!!

---------- Post added 2010-12-22 at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NoxSSDK View Post
    Im already useing an Intel based PC and wanted to try an AMD build out and soon crossfire. Dont wanna stick to one brand, Wanna kinda swap about and see how things proform.
    I was running AMD before I made the swap to Intel myself. With the changes in chip architecture and the new processes they are pioneering in making CPU's it is only a matter of time before AMD goes the way of IBM, if any of you are old enough to remember what happened there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefirstdk View Post
    LOL What? Do you have any idea what the new chip architecture does for the i7 1366s on the X58 platform? ROFL!!
    because wow can really take advantage of that with a 5year old game engine.

Didnt really wanna do an intel PC agian wanted to try AMD >.< and see how they ran, Like heat wise and playing games... Might have to do more research into getting the X4 or X6 hmmm.... Was gonna order it all next week i just want people who run a pretty simular PC to what id want and tell me what there FPS is at 1920 x 1080 (if they play that big) in 25man raids and so on.

LOL What? Do you have any idea what the new chip architecture does for the i7 1366s on the X58 platform? ROFL!
    Go LOL ROFL back to kindergarten please.

Hyperthreading does exactly nothing for games, and in badly coded games it actually lowers speed when you compare 4.0GHz i5 to 4.0GHz i7. So it's $150 for nothing in best case, or $150 for lower performance in worst case when building gaming computer.
    Trolling should be.

but wow wont late forever, and there are plenty of other useful things that will be used or take advantage of it, simple things like just unzipping a mod. And he will be able to use it for years to come with no problem and wont be a bottleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by NoxSSDK View Post
    Didnt really wanna do an intel PC agian wanted to try AMD >.< and see how they ran, Like heat wise and playing games... Might have to do more research into getting the X4 or X6 hmmm.... Was gonna order it all next week i just want people who run a pretty simular PC to what id want and tell me what there FPS is at 1920 x 1080 (if they play that big) in 25man raids and so on.
    As I said above, i5-760 has pretty much the same performance as x4 965 within 5-10% difference, varying a bit depending on application. But main difference is that Intel overclocks much further than AMD, and if you're planning on doing some moderate OC Intel will give better performance. If you want concrete numbers, you should see something like 30-40fps on 1920x1080 with all on ultra except shadows with GTX460 or similar level card, overclocked 45-50.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    but wow wont late forever, and there are plenty of other useful things that will be used or take advantage of it, simple things like just unzipping a mod. And he will be able to use it for years to come with no problem and wont be a bottleneck.
    If you want CPU for playing games only, i7 is just wasted money. If you want to plan ahead, or are using the computer for something math-heavy like 3D modeling or video editing i7 is better choice. Purchasing stuff for 2-3 years ahead is completely futile since anything you buy today is going to be old shit in three years.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-12-22 at 09:04 PM.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

I was running AMD before I made the swap to Intel myself. With the changes in chip architecture and the new processes they are pioneering in making CPU's it is only a matter of time before AMD goes the way of IBM, if any of you are old enough to remember what happened there.
    Nehalem is nehalem on LGA1366 and LGA1156. The only differences are dual channel vs triple channel DDR3 (does nothing for most games), and PCI Express lane count (does nothing for WoW and lots of other games). The architecture is EXACTLY the same between the platforms otherwise.

And keep in mind if AMD went the way of IBM, you'll be shelling out $500+ for a midrange Intel CPU next time around. Personally, I'll gladly take lower performance if it means not giving a shady and uncompetitive corporation like Intel my money.