Deleted

advice on multiple targets

Hi there

Am looking for some advice really on multiple targets an really to see if I can make it any easyer for myself. I've only just started playing paladin tank I hold aggro fine rotation is fine most of the time. The problem am having atm is when theres multiple targets am having problems tracking them maybe because the built in wow interface bars are pants and there not fixed so there scared all over the shop or it's because am having to click on my mouse on the npc (add) etc and then click my righteous defense or hand of reckoning. it could be both problems really but am using default keys for my spells and movement wasd 1-6 the rest are all on the clicks cooldown taunts etc

any idea's how i could fix this or make it alittle better

cheers

You should start off with marking what you want your group to kill first with a skull for example. Using your abilities like Hammer of the Righteous, Avenger's Shield and Holy Wrath you should keep them pretty much focused on you. Marking is pretty useful not only to the dps but the tank as well, I use TAB to cycle through large packs or else like you said the name plates are moving around.
    I'm a random windstorm, shakey! shakey!

Many options.

Marking, as mentioned is the most important one. Mark Skull and X for first and second kill. Mark other things for CC and explain to your group what your marks mean.

If that fails, a raidframe addon like Grid can show who has aggro from something. I use a mouseover /assist and taunt macro with this.

Also, Tidy Plates plus Tidy Plates: Threat Plates actively changes name plates based on aggro. Very visual.

Edit: also, after rereading your post, you probably should keybind more things. I highly recommend Bartender for this. Learn to use mod keybinds (that is, binds involving alt, ctrl, or shift). Also move your strafe keys to A and D and bind useful things to Q and E. It might take some getting used to, but try it out and stick with it for a week or two.

Everyy addon I've mentioned is available on Curse.com
    Last edited by belfpala; 2010-12-22 at 08:03 AM.

Deleted
    I choose to keybind almost everything to my keyboard and it works out great for me. I use Dominos for moving my action bars and binding. I have a nice block of action bars arranged just like my keyboard set up. The drawback to this set up is that you have to bind all your movement to your mouse. I use a logitech mouse that has buttons on both sides of the mouse in addition to your left/right click. I bind the side ones to strafe left and right, both side ones pressed makes me go backwards.

Sounds a little complicated, but it works out great for me.

Deleted
    first thank you for the replys to all
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    raidframe addon like Grid can show who has aggro from something. I use a mouseover /assist and taunt macro with this.
    can you explain what you mean by this plz

the macro your using will this allow you to click on the player in grid and press your macro button and you'll pull the aggro of them ?
    or you just using grid to monitor the health of other players to make you more aware of whats going on?

am not sure what you mean with the macro your using so hance the questions. I have a rough idea of how the mouseover/ assist thing works , hoverover the target press the button.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mtl View Post
    first thank you for the replys to all

can you explain what you mean by this plz

the macro your using will this allow you to click on the player in grid and press your macro button and you'll pull the aggro of them ?
    or you just using grid to monitor the health of other players to make you more aware of whats going on?

am not sure what you mean with the macro your using so hance the questions. I have a rough idea of how the mouseover/ assist thing works , hoverover the target press the button.

cheers
    Basically you use a grid to watch aggro and use a mouseover macro to cast your taunt. That way when grid starts throwing an aggro warning, you can grab it back easily.

The other modes mentioned above are great for watching threat to, but the original reply is the most important. Mark the mobs for kill order and cc. Explain to your dps (especially if it is a pug) what your marks mean. And then make sure you understand what mobs need to be CC'ed and who has the tools to help you.

I was in a pug on my mage in heroic deadmines, and the tank marked one of the camo'ed defias for sheep. Of course they are immune while the camo is active, but he pulled expecting my sheep to land (like it had on the other marks he had given). When my marked target came running (and the one that he marked for the shammy to hex) and we wiped, he proceeded to chew us out. When we explained to him why they couldnt be sheeped or hex'ed, he actually apologized.

If you plan to tank, it is more than holding threat, it is learning the fight mechanics so you can actively lead the group. Learn to use your group as well. If there is something not working, ask for a suggestion. For instance later in DM there are the envokers surrounded by miners. The invoker has a buff that makes them immune to most forms of CC. I told the tank, give me 2 globals and I can sheep him, but I have to spell steal the buff first. Worked like a charm.

I've learned that even with Marking you'll still get the idiots attacking multiple mobs. I used to tank in wrath on my pally haven't leveled it yet to tank in Cata but what I'd do is mark the targets and front load a bunch of threat on skull with a few abilities and then tab target through and do the same to each one. I do that now on a lvl 40 Warrior I just started to level and it works well. Use your multi target abilities on cooldown (Hammer of the Righteous, Conc, Holy Wrath) and tab through and get a 5 stack rolling on each target that Hammer should keep up.

Also as for keybinds I don't know exactly what you have bound but for taunt I have it on my mouse wheel. Alt modifier so I can use AOE taunt off a player or Hand of Reckoning on a mob.
    Last edited by Pathagoris; 2010-12-22 at 05:18 PM.