Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is it about all the ignorance and dumbness?

Since the very release of Cataclysm, and I guess even before in WotLK, I noticed that most people you encounter in the game are either dumb as hell, selfish or they just ignore you right away.

I don't know how to express this in a better way but... well, lemme present some examples:

1) PuG Heroic with my Healer-Friend. Tank rolls on http://www.wowhead.com/item=56299 , says it's an upgrade for his tank gear (he had both http://www.wowhead.com/item=55873 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=56398 equipped at that time, so yeah... you see where this is going). He insisted that it would be an upgrade for his gear, which was obviously false and the true reason behind his behaviour was obviously that he just needed on it for his dps gear, and then went on asking me about what the fuck would be wrong with me "whining" over it and went further on calling me an immature kid.

I mean wtf? Why don't people get that if there are other players of the same gear-type group as themselves, you simply don't wtf-need on everything that could even be remotely of use to you?
    I mean he could've asked me if I needed that ring and if I didn't, it would've been completely okay. But no, this neverending WotLK philosophy that there's gear for everyone, obtainable through facerolling and without any strains, just doesn't seem to reach an end...

But well, the best part where I just roflmao'd with my friend was the fact that he lied to me about his true intentions, didn't acknowledge that he just ninja'd that ring and, as if that wasn't already enough, called me an immature kid whining over a game.

2) Guy on the auction house. Stacks of Iron Ore going for 110g, mine were set up at 109g. He lists 4 stacks for a total of 40g, meaning 10g per stack. I ask the guy via whisper: "Hey man. How come you listed your Iron Ore for only 10g a stack?" .. .. .. no answer. About one hour later that day, I asked him again and additionally, why he didn't answer me before .. .. .. again nothing.
    I went on trying to communicate with this dude for over 10 minutes until he simply put me on ignore.
    I mean where's the problem? Is it too much for WoW-players to answer simple, friendly-asked questions now, too? He's rather letting himself being bugged by me for over 20 minutes in total than just answer a simple question?

Sure this is a game. And I'm not saying that everyone should kiss each other's ass all day long. But... it's an MMO, it's got people behind it. It's generally a huge social organisation (that is: Auctioning, Partying, Raiding etc. etc.).
    I recall this community being a whole lot different back in vanilla, simply because it was all new and people were actually decent and friendly, other than nowadays where you just get insta-ignored when asking stuff or criticising things...

I mean how do these people even get through life with that kinda attitude? If they behaved like this in real life, their face would be smashed like pudding because they would've been taken a swing at every other day.

I've read this text, I think it was called "How to not suck in Cata", a few weeks ago. Damn they should take that one into their frickin terms of agreement before one is being allowed to play WoW... even though I think it wasn't so much about the social behaviour people need to learn and practice.

Do you have any experiences that share the same general frame with mine?
    Last edited by Nicekisch; 2010-12-23 at 11:57 AM.

Deleted
    They DON'T behave like that in real life, and this is the problem. A proportion of people who play this game feel that it's okay to be rude and nasty to people because they will never see them in real life. I admit myself, sometimes I have spoken to people on WoW in a way I would never dare to speak to them in real life, but it's much more accessible to be whoever you want online. And what with so many people playing I think we loose the sense of community, which you mention - people are able to go around acting like idiots because they can.. Gives them a sense of power, they feel better about themselves, etc.

Your few lines about 'back in the day people were nicer' could also be said of the real world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Normal person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Fuckwad
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Quote Originally Posted by Nicekisch View Post
    2) Guy on the auction house. Stacks of Iron Ore going for 110g, mine were set up at 109g. He lists 4 stacks for a total of 40g, meaning 10g per stack. I ask the guy via whisper: "Hey man. How come you listed your Iron Ore for only 10g a stack?" .. .. .. no answer. About one hour later that day, I asked him again and additionally, why he didn't answer me before .. .. .. again nothing.
    I went on trying to communicate with this dude for over 10 minutes until he simply put me on ignore.
    I mean where's the problem? Is it too much for WoW-players to answer simple, friendly-asked questions now, too? He's rather letting himself being bugged by me for over 20 minutes in total than just answer a simple question?
    Well, two things. First, it's his ore and he can list it for how ever much he wants to.

Second, uhhh... why didn't you just buy all his stacks and make a 360 gold profit instead of harassing him for 20 minutes?

Yeah sorry. I forgot to mention the points you two just came up with. Of course I'm aware of these things you said, and that they actually wouldn't dare behave like this in real life.
    I generally got no problems with people behaving rough over the internet, UNLESS they don't do so in real life. I pretty much say everything out loud that comes into my mind, even to my close(-st) friends. Doesn't necessarily make a ton of people like me, but I can at least say to myself that I'm honest with other ppl., and seriously? If people can't handle that, I would reconsider calling them a friend or similar.

But then again it leaves the question, which I originally wanted to implement in my first post: Sure you can act like an ass and care less about it. But why do all the people HAVE to make use of this just because they can. Sure the world is evil and fucked up, don't think I'm naive.
    But do we really need this? On such a tiny basis (an MMO on the Internet)? It's just pathetic...

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Well, two things. First, it's his ore and he can list it for how ever much he wants to.

Second, uhhh... why didn't you just buy all his stacks and make a 360 gold profit instead of harassing him for 20 minutes?
    Yeah I thought about that. And I could've done that just as easily. But the intention behind my question to him was to give him some advice for the long run. Like "Hey you know, you can do much more of a profit if you don't undercut by about 100g".
    Because actually... yeah. I recently started to dip into that whole "auctioneering" and stuff, like the big sellers with their guides and all, do it. So I'm well aware that not everyone knows these kinda things about how to turn max profit etc. etc., because I made the very same mistakes up until the start of WotLK.
    I just wanted to make helpful suggestions, and I get the complete opposite as a reaction.
    Last edited by Nicekisch; 2010-12-23 at 12:20 PM.

WOTLK dude. Alot of people who played (or started playing) during WOTLK have changed this game. Instead of benefiting the group as a whole, it's now more towards oneself. WOTLK made this game so easy to play that people stopped caring about others. Remember the people who needed frozen orbs? They didn't care about others, only about their own self benefit.
    WOTLK changed WoW.. The current players are the outcome of an expansion in which gearing was too easy, and heroics were too easy as well.

It also created alot of players who don't really know how to play this game...

my own guildy didn't even know which classes can CC and which can't..and he has an 85. But he started playing when wotlk came out. ya. Welcome to the wotlk generation of players.

Deleted
    Maybe he's a genius AH'er that is getting you out of the market by putting a price up that isn't worth your time.

Yes and remember a vast amount of the people your playing with will be kids who think the world revolves around them and have not learnt how to deal with the world. Lets face it the majority are just acting their age.

As some people have said being online does change how some people behave because there are no consequences from what they do.

Also another factor is these spoilt brats going from wrath to cata. Once people have been given something good on a consistant basis they require more. Its like buying someone a ps3 for christmas and then next christmas getting them a ps2 and expecting them to stick with the ps2, they simply wont. They've been indulged to much to return to the old ways.

The AHer was probs a gold seller and besides the most effectively way to play the AH is to ensure monopoly on the items, if someone is undercutting you too much and you know it sells for more, buy it and resell it to ensure you are the first (cheapest) item people find.

The tank needing on OS/MS gear is just going to decend into a massive QQwar, if you are running with people who start to do this, ensure you stick to your morals, Tank Rolls on a DPS ring, DPS wants it too, as a healer/caster w/e you can in most cases roll need as well, then trade it to the person you feel wants it. If the tank is going to do w/e the flip he wants, then you should as well, don't expect quarter, especially with this ppl who say 'hi' mark up the mobs with random marks then runs in like a scotsman.

1.: Why don't you just BUY and RESELL it, instead of stalking that guy for hours? It's his ore, he can do whatever he wants.
    2.: The most important thing: He doesn't have to answer you if he does not want it. Do you really think everybody has to answer your questions?
    I would've ignored you too, but directly after the first question.

But why do all the people HAVE to make use of this just because they can. Sure the world is evil and fucked up, don't think I'm naive.
    But do we really need this? On such a tiny basis (an MMO on the Internet)? It's just pathetic...
    They do it, BECAUSE it's just a tiny basis. They won't do it in RL, because... yeah, it's RL. WoW is just a game. You ask why people do bad/arrogant/evil things in this game, because it's just a game.
    For me, a more important question is: Why does it bother you this much? As you said before, it's just a game.

I don't think that I'm the player-type you are talking about, but I can understand them more than people like you, who keep complaining about other players doing bad things in a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea but I have to admit that i'm amazed how much the overall attitude ove players have gone way worse in these past 5 years.
    It's like playing a totally different game or something. How do I react on bad attitude? Either I join them or I take a revenge. It may not be very nice but that's pretty much the only choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Seriously, what the hell? Don't you have better things to do? I would ignore you, too, if you'd bug me with the price of my iron ore at the AH.
    I mean, what the hell? One stack for 100g? I know gold is easy to come by, but I hate people that just exploit people's need for mats. This guy probably wants to empty his bags very fast, and you do that by setting low prices.

If you're so disturbed by his low price, just buy it, and put it on again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

They do it, BECAUSE it's just a tiny basis. They won't do it in RL, because... yeah, it's RL. WoW is just a game. You ask why people do bad/arrogant/evil things in this game, because it's just a game.
    For me, a more important question is: Why does it bother you this much? As you said before, it's just a game.

I don't think that I'm the player-type you are talking about, but I can understand them more than people like you, who keep complaining about other players doing bad things in a game.
    I can understand your point but i think the problem has evolved so much you cant do anything in the game without someone trying to spoil it for you with their whining and bitching and who the hell wants to log on and see that everyday.

I usually have had alot of patience and ignored it but its got to the stage when its overwhelming and have no choice but to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Megingost View Post
    1.: Why don't you just BUY and RESELL it, instead of stalking that guy for hours? It's his ore, he can do whatever he wants.
    2.: The most important thing: He doesn't have to answer you if he does not want it. Do you really think everybody has to answer your questions?
    I would've ignored you too, but directly after the first question.

To the first quote: Yeah as I already said: I could've bought it up and have it relisted. But originally I wanted to give him quality advice. And yeah, sure people don't "have" to do anything, no doubts there. But as this debate I started is about social behaviour and not about what people "have" to do... I think you get what I mean.

To the second quote, and your question: It bother's me because these people live on the expense of others. Period. And they don't realize that if everyone did that in real life just as they do, the world would've fallen apart decades ago. It doesn't really matter if this is a game now, or not. This game is supposed to be fun for everyone. Their whole concept of having fun is based on others not having fun in turn. And that's just not how things work.
    But then again... no consequences... seems that this is the only requirement to reveal a person's deepest, darkest traits.
    Last edited by Nicekisch; 2010-12-23 at 12:36 PM.

I pretty much say everything out loud that comes into my mind, even to my close(-st) friends. Doesn't necessarily make a ton of people like me, but I can at least say to myself that I'm honest with other ppl., and seriously? If people can't handle that, I would reconsider calling them a friend or similar.

But then again it leaves the question, which I originally wanted to implement in my first post: Sure you can act like an ass and care less about it. But why do all the people HAVE to make use of this just because they can.
    Pretty much just wanted to point that out. Why do it if you don't have to? Well don't do it yourself then. Hate that phrase.... "I tell it like it is. People don't like it, they can just move on!" Ugh.

Though I see your points, and have commented on the same thing many times in the many other similar posts, about the same things.

Oh, ok. Your greed keeps the world from falling apart. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    I know gold is easy to come by, but I hate people that just exploit people's need for mats. This guy probably wants to empty his bags very fast, and you do that by setting low prices.
    I think that you've not really grasped the concept of Supply and Demand.
    The fact that Iron Ore goes for a 100g/stack on my server clearly indicates that there's a higher demand than supply, hence the high price. He could've sold his ore JUST as easily for 108g (undercutting me by 1g) rather than trashing it for 10g.

And, as we speak, I've sold my first 5 stacks of Iron Ore for 109g. Whoever bought these out, sure as hell bought out that guys stacks for 10g as well. Now... who made the bigger profit? And who would've made a bigger one, if he listened to me?

Because as I already said for two times now: I originally wanted to give him quality advice in the end of the discussion that would've come up with him, if he had answered.

I wonder this very same thing every once in a while. I started playing at the beginning of wrath and have always had a good attitude towards people. Maybe in the beginning, i would need on stuff that i didnt need, but that was my own ignorance toward the game. I didnt know what gear went to who and what stats i needed and all of that. Now that i do know, i wont need on anything that i dont need unless its an item that everyone is needing on like papa's new bag or something.

Loot aside, i agree that the large majority of players that i encounter have very shitty attitudes. They know that the show will go on because there are so many people that put up with it. For instance, in throne of the tides yesterday, i asked the tank to wait so i could mana up (im a healer), and he says "No. " and then goes and pulls one of the bosses with me at about 30% mana. I didnt try too hard to keep him alive, but i couldnt let him die too soon cause it would have been a wipe, and i was running out of time.

I read the same how to not suck thread, and it was perfect to the T. Im keeping my attitude, i just wish everyone elses would change.

People are allowed to do whatever they want with their 15 dollars a month. I can see that. And if it makes them happy, then so be it. The reason it bothers me, at least, is because its also my 15 dollars a month. And people like what the op described make my game less enjoyable.

Why doesnt it bother you? A) you run with guildies and dont really have to deal with this. B) you ARE in fact one of the people described. C)Just dont really care one way or the other.

My thoughts on the matter are that people with bad attitudes and crappy behavior are being carried, and im carrying them; i dont like that.

I don't care if you're bad, just don't be a bitch... word.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhunt View Post
    Pretty much just wanted to point that out. Why do it if you don't have to? Well don't do it yourself then. Hate that phrase.... "I tell it like it is. People don't like it, they can just move on!" Ugh.

Though I see your points, and have commented on the same thing many times in the many other similar posts, about the same things.
    Well I didn't say that I smack it into their faces "Dr. House style", did I?
    To be honest with people doesn't imply that it has to be rude or anything similar.

LOL at iron ore for 100g+ a stack, he was listing his at a price people might actually buy them at. Iron ore is pretty damn easy to find, with the new expac people are expecting to make unrealistic amounts of money off easy to farm stuff. Heck the other day people were selling rugged leather for 100g a stack on my server and i put mine up for 50g each, needless to say i made a large profit and the idiots got their leather back in the mail.