Page 1 of 3
LastLast

As a healer i find myself begging for CC, but no one listens. My experience as a heal

So ive been running GB, HoO, and lost city.

Im not that geared, im barely geared for those dungeons listed...
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/ondre/simple
    ^ My gear...

I did one GB run this morning that went exceptionally well, the tank marked everything dps CC'ed. Dps was high, so i didnt have to spam heal. 0 deaths, SMOOTH run.

Now this last group i joined before logging just now...

First pally tank... Runs in first pull tries to tank everything wotlk style. Im struggling to heal him, spamming my fast heal just so he could stay alive.
    I ask him kindly...
    "hey can you mark so we can cc plz "
    Be replies "NO!"

I thought he was joking so i continued to heal through it moving towards the dragons. The tank then says some rude comment about dps. Ill admit dps was very low, and this is coming from an 85 lock who knows what good dps is These guys were pulling 3-4k with no cc..

I didnt complain i just kept at it.

Now we get to the elemental dudes who hit like trucks... I try to cc, and the tank runs in WOTLK style again and starting aoeing tanking!
    So i ask him to mark stuff up, because i really cant keep him up due to my gear, and finite mana pool.

The dps got mad that the tank kept ragging on em so they kicked em...
    2nd tank comes... So i tell em, hey feel free to cc. Its tough to keep up with heals on these packs.
    Ignores me and does a wotlk style pull, dps follows.

3 packs in we get to elemental dudes again. Tank dies... We rez up, tank pauses for a second. So i get a whisper from another member...
    "hey this dude is trying to kick you, says you suck..."

Im like : / wow... The group does not agree with the kick and I remain.

next tank comes in this is the 3rd pally tank mind you... I ask him to mark up for cc, and let me know when he is ready.
    Curious how he got his hp so high, He is stacking all stam gems in his gear, he runs in tries to aoe tank the elemental pack. I use my fast heal, use my insta big heal. BOOM he dies trying to tank the 6 mobs.

I had enough, i told them i was sorry i couldn't perform for them. And i left.

This isnt like wotlk,

Ive been healing for 3 years, im so used to being able to heal through mistakes people make. But now i cant. Now if people dont want to cc, dont want to avoid damge, dont want to do their best dps so the mobs die fast... Things will get ugly. And no matter how hard i try i cant just "out heal mistakes..."

It was just a profound moment for me. I have a warlock 344 ilevel and i didnt think cata was that hard.

Until I tried to heal.

Overall its fun, and scary mostly trying to heal pugs now.

Sometimes you get a really good experienced pug, who will cc and dps really well... Other times you get a group that doesnt understand you cant heal through mistakes anymore. Not ccing when you can, not dpsing high enough, not avoiding damage are costly mistakes. Im glad i rolled heals to see that, now when i dps i will be sure to cc everything i can, and avoid as much dmg as possible. Heals really have a rough job.
    Last edited by TheEverydayDre; 2010-12-24 at 04:59 PM.

www.youtube.com/TheEverydayDre Cata raid vids coming soon.

Im sorry to hear that, especially sorry that they're all pally tanks. As a tank i love cc and the mor e people use it the happier i am. Another part of the problem is those pallys are probably the ones who don't have WoG or Seal of Insight bound or even on their bars at all because they still think " im a tank i shouldn't have to heal"

Personally I find people are unwilling to CC much in normal dungeons, but will always CC in heroics. This has the odd result that heroic trash can be easier to heal than normal trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus2089 View Post
    Im sorry to hear that, especially sorry that they're all pally tanks. As a tank i love cc and the mor e people use it the happier i am. Another part of the problem is those pallys are probably the ones who don't have WoG or Seal of Insight bound or even on their bars at all because they still think " im a tank i shouldn't have to heal"
    I had a warrior tank in another run, and it went perfect.

For some reason these pally tanks just want to run in and aoe tank everything with consecration... I just cant heal through the dmg they take. Im level 84 in piss poor gear. And its only going to get worse, because hitting 85 will only lower my haste, crit, and heals even more.

Pugs are just rough, im terrified to heal a heroic pug now.

Im willing to bet they're rets queing for quick ques with atrocious avoidance stats and little to no experience tanking at any level over HURRRR DURRRR ITS HEROIC VIOLET HOLD!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmiasek View Post
    Personally I find people are unwilling to CC much in normal dungeons, but will always CC in heroics. This has the odd result that heroic trash can be easier to heal than normal trash.
    In an instance like grim batol it really helps...

On the big guys chained up before the 3rd boss if u dont cc the chains will strangle the healer, and the tank will die. I begged the group i mentioned in my first post to cc the 3 humans that toss out chains... They refused as a result i got chained and the tank died because i couldn't heal.

If you dont have sick dps like my warlock..

You should cc your heals will love you.

I've just started marking my self...which is odd as dps.

I have a macro that says i'm sheeping anything with a moon on it and on another key I have a macro that marks and then on the second press sheeps.

Deleted
    This is one of the reasons i love my CC being mind control, there is absolutely no way a tank can break it regardless of if he wanted CC or not.

Ive been trying to undertstand why tanks and healers quit thus causing 40+ min q times...

Its simple. DPS is an easier role i find, i can relax while dpsing.

But as a healer i gotta make small calculations, and micromanage everything.

My head...
    "ok got xxk mana left... this ability is coming soon, ima have to save my heals for that..."
    "ok random ground effect coming, gotta have some heals just in case someone stands in that..."

Lol its just so much... In wotlk i could spam the hell out of my heals, and have no fear in the world. heroic NP. Earthshield riptide, fap for 5. Come back do it again.

Another thing, its just bizarre knowing you cant top everyone off... Ive been healing for 3 xpacs, im so used to topping people off! Something about seeing a topped off player feels good. So when i have players mid fight with 40-50% hp it feels scary, sure its just fine. But still scary. Stressful.
    Last edited by TheEverydayDre; 2010-12-24 at 05:22 PM.

That sucks. I actually got lucky. Doing a daily for the contest. Tank was new to the instance(TolVir). He aoe pulled the first pack, saw that it hurt. Instantly, with no talking involved other then me saying we should CC, every next pack was CC'd. I'd drop a waiting trap, rogue sapped, pally pulled one, I'd get a wyvern sting on the next(Even if it was just a scorpion pet or something), mage cc'd whatever was extra. Tank knew the order to break CC in(Wyvern, Sap, choose between trap/sheep) and the rest of the instance was cake.

We wiped to Simat at the end but that was ok. Healer couldnt see typhoons. Came back in, rolled him. Mmm. Was a normal dungeon and I dont need normals anymore, but man. An actual good run and I'm sure the healer was enjoying no one taking damage. Even managed midfight to tell the tank to kite so no one else took unnecessary AoE explosion damage and it went swell.

Being a hunter is fun. So many CCs, I sure healers love me. <3

I've been running mostly with my guild to avoid this kind of crap. I have done a few solo LFG queues and it seems like the tanks that feel like they're invincible are mostly paladins. No CC, no waiting for the healers, talking down to the party members, etc. I'm not saying all of them are like that, I've run into a couple that were good, marking, CCing, etc.
    This space for rent.

I was told ''ONLY BAD TANKS USE CC'' right before getting kicked out of a group

It was my first time tanking an instance in cata we didnt even wipe once, they just thought i sucked for ASKING for cc

Deleted
    These lousy wotlk groups will eventually be filtered out, I'm pretty sure of it. wotlk just made everyone lazy. I've started to see a rise in cc in the oast few days.

I love getting into heroics when I have a shaman and a mage in my party. It makes healing so much easier that I just sit there and just only use heal. Now when it comes to boss fights I tell the group that I put out lightwell and that I wont be healing them as much as they would like so they better learn to use or they will die. It sucks having to train people to do a certain thing mainly the dps LUCKILY I havent had to many bad tanks as of lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Speshuled View Post
    I've been running mostly with my guild to avoid this kind of crap. I have done a few solo LFG queues and it seems like the tanks that feel like they're invincible are mostly paladins. No CC, no waiting for the healers, talking down to the party members, etc. I'm not saying all of them are like that, I've run into a couple that were good, marking, CCing, etc.
    Lets see 3 bad pally tanks in a row... Id say your observation is plausible. Dudes just want to run in and drop consecration on everything...

Running in and droping con > CCing killing only 1-2 at a time.

The prot paladin mentality.

LOL! Like the other day i was healing stonecore and this prot pally tried to aoe tank the 3 pack just before the final boss. LOL he did it once, i told him "this isnt wotlk man, you cant do that stuff anymore lol..." He then went back ignored my warning and tried to do it again. 2 wipes back to back. It was funny because he popped all his cd's.
    Last edited by TheEverydayDre; 2010-12-24 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been having somewhat similar problems on my Holy priest. Even if we don't CC, I can keep everyone up (most of the time) but I need stupid amounts of mana breaks.
    However, what's vexing me at the moment, is people playing terribly, then blaming it on me. For instance, in Lost City, Highlord Barim, a warrior was continually standing in AoE (during both phases) and screaming at me for letting him die. Next attempt, the mage and hunter won't use Lightwell (not a single click), so I'm trying to single heal the tank, while ripping off PoH + CoHs, when we wiped, I was told to "l2heal" and got kicked.
    Saddens me

Deleted
    It seems, mind you, that lately, all (most of) pala tanks have turned into douchebags.

Hehe, the paladin-story could be told by my sister ,too
    She tries healing with her priest ... and whenever a tank runs in without looking back at the group its a paly.

But its true tanking and dpsing is much more fun in cata than healing. ( Luckily I'm a warriortank )
    --
    The cataclysm broke the world ... and the pandas could not fix it!

if you think it is bad now, you should have tried to heal five mans on a druid with limited CC back in vanilla.

Deleted
    IMO, I feel that I too many people overlook CC in dungeons and say there is no need for it. As a healer also, this hurts inside