DPS against single targets

With cata focusing more on single target dps rather than aoe'ing the hell out of everything, I was thinking of foregoing "improved fire nova". I've also given up shamanistic rage, as besides being a nice damage control, it doesn't directly increase your dps.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hhGMZfIG0s0hMGo

I can't decide if those last 2 points should go in call of flame or elemental precision. I'd like to know if anyone can answer: Does call of flame affect the fire elemental's dps? For single target battles, is searing totem or fire elemental better? Also, i'm guessing that elemental precision does not increase your hit based off of your BASE spirit. amiright? thanks all.

I'm not 100% sure on some of the things your asking, but Call of Flame is great for our Searing Totem, which should be down all the time. Now that it applies a dot and buffs our Lava Lash, its mandatory. Dropping Fire Elemental for AoE circumstances may be better, but as far as single target goes, I don't think it will be, but I'm not sure. I personally wouldn't drop Shamanistic Rage for an extra point in Elemental Shields. While an extra 5% damage with our shields is nice, the amount of time I actually use SR is too high to even consider dropping. I did drop Improved Fire Nova though, that's really only good for trash. Personally, I would put the last two points in Call of Flame, as it improves the base Searing Totem damage, and the dot it applies. But perhaps you should try out EP and see whats better for you.

And you're right. As the Elemental Precision talent says, only Spirit gained from items or effects is included in the Spell Hit, not our base Spirit.