Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Will be so glad when Danny Pink is not on the show anymore. Don't need someone on a show I enjoy watching about space travel, the wonders of the universe, and the remarkable actions of the main character, poo poo everything with a smug attitude and condescending smile.

I'm not sure what purpose he even serves. If he is to provide a choice for Clara between the Doctor and normalcy, that's fine. But the audience has already made that choice and doesn't need to keep hearing it each episode.
    Danny Pink's purpose is to demonstrate exactly how fucked in the head Clara is. Like in this episode; he's focused on making sure the kids are okay, while Clara starts flitting about focusing on whatever pops up in front of her, until HE convinces her the kids should be her #1 priority.

He's stable, and he knows exactly who he is. Clara, like I've been saying for weeks, is going crazy and/or evil. She hasn't been acting sane all season.

Deleted
    I'm still not sure how I feel about Danny. His relationship with Clara seems really patronising, he treats her like an unruly student who he's teaching a lesson. And back in Listen we see a pretty scary and threatening side to him. Their relationship doesn't make that much sense. I'm much more interested in his dynamic with the Doctor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I'm still not sure how I feel about Danny. His relationship with Clara seems really patronising, he treats her like an unruly student who he's teaching a lesson. And back in Listen we see a pretty scary and threatening side to him. Their relationship doesn't make that much sense. I'm much more interested in his dynamic with the Doctor.
    That is because she is a child....and she has been a very bad girl...
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-10-26 at 05:47 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I don't know where you get inflammable from, in the version I watched they said fire proof.
    Clever idea and there's some really neat moments and quotes. Danny, Clara and the Doctor were brilliant as always.

1. Listen
    2. Mummy on the Orient Express
    3. The Caretaker
    4. Flatline
    5. In the Forest of the Night
    6. Kill the Moon
    7. Deep Breath
    8. Robot of Sherwood
    9. Time Heist
    10. Into the Dalek

You really have to suspend reality to appreciate this episode. I knew it was going to be bad from the trailer, and the fact that it's a blatant filler episode, so it surpassed my expectations at least. Deciding to catch the tress on fire was the dumbest decision ever made, because you can't control a raging forest fire... but the trees simply withheld oxygen in that zone so that they wouldn't burn. So - and I'm just talking out loud right now - I guess the trees put all the oxygen in the atmosphere to burn off in the solar flare; maybe all the oxygen was gone for like 30 seconds on Earth.

I really shouldn't have to theorycraft an explanation for the episodes after watching them though; that's a clear indication that the episode's writing is poor. And where the crap did the girl come from in the end? Has she just been chillin in a bush with the fireflies for a year?! What?

10+ Year Old Account
    I -think- that the ending with the girl was supposed to seem like... the trees brought the girl back to her family as thanks for helping the humans understand not to destroy them? Or something?

I dunno, most of the episode made no sense really.

Well that was.. a thing I guess.. I kind of liked the episode till the very end deus ex machina.. twice..
    I really think that "she just made it all up, and you need to convince that girl to unmake it" would make more sense than disappearing trees that everyone would forget..
    Plus ye.. Where's every person that lives in London? o_O And the phonecall?.. Wouldn't Doctor just calling Unit make more sense?
    What I liked though was how Clara, again, is going crazier and crazier and it's even more apparent that she's falling into madness, loosing all the "duty of care" that she was supposed to have. I hoped, though, for a bit of drama between her and Danny, after he told her that if she lies to him, it's over.. At least a bit of an argument, but well.. Also I liked Doctor's "It's my planet as well" - like that little change in him, I think he's starting to remember how to care (especially after seeing what Clara has become).

- - - Updated - - -

Although that next episode's preview.. I'm so fuckin hyped :O Clara turning evil? whatisgoingon.jpg..
    I was planning to wait a week and watch both finale episodes one after another, but now I'm not sure if I'll be able to do so.. SO HYPED
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't know where you get inflammable from, in the version I watched they said fire proof.
    Clever idea and there's some really neat moments and quotes. Danny, Clara and the Doctor were brilliant as always.

1. Listen
    2. Mummy on the Orient Express
    3. The Caretaker
    4. Flatline
    5. In the Forest of the Night
    6. Kill the Moon
    7. Deep Breath
    8. Robot of Sherwood
    9. Time Heist
    10. Into the Dalek
    It was around 36 minutes when they say it.

"Pumping it up like a massive,
    highly inflammable airbag"
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It was around 36 minutes when they say it.

"Pumping it up like a massive,
    highly inflammable airbag"
    That was the point.. The "airbag" is flammable (or inflammable, which means the same thing apparently), it burns out all the excessive sun explosion, leaving the surface underneath intact..

"No. The impact burns off the excess oxygen." - as Doctor says nearly afterwards.

Whether it makes sense, physics wise, or not.. The use of the world inflammable was correct in that situation, given the context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    They mistaked inflammable with nonflammable? Haha.

To be fair, most of the population makes this mistake too. Inflammable means "extremely flammable", it doesn't mean nonflammable. However, this (and the term inflammable itself) is US usage, and I'm not sure if it means the same thing in the UK.

i liked it. was alittle cheesy but thats ok. i do enjoy that companions are there to keep the doctor from going "insane", but this time the doctor is rubbing off on Clara and shes slowly changing her priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The BIG problem... At many points, after trying and failing to remove the trees via a controlled burn, the repeatedly refer to the trees as "Inflammable" by which they mean the trees don't burn.

Inflammable does not mean that, Inflammable means "Easily set alight" exactly the same as Flammable. All I could think about the whole episode was the Inigo Montoya meme "You keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means"
    Actually, both the workers and the Doctor referred to the trees as "flame-proof". The only thing describes as inflammable was the big oxygen air-bag the trees were putting around the earth, and they were using the word correctly in that case, because oxygen burns like anything. :-P

so i just watched both of the latest episodes.

flatline - loved it alot. it was a really great episode in my opinion. it was a really good standalone and had a nice new monster.

in the forest of the night - bleh. had some nice dialog bits and capaldi was great and funny as always and it had some nice potential but the ending was just dumb. trees protecting people? her big sister being in some weird magical bush? the little girl actor who heard voices was awful "THE THOUGHTS THE THOUGHT!" ugh.

but the next episode O_O psycho clara seemes awesome and i cant wait to find out what she means by "clara never existed"

- - - Updated - - -

"Last night’s episode was watched by 5.03 million viewers (a 21.6% viewing share) in the UK on BBC1, according to early overnight viewing figures.

The overnight figures are early estimates and we can expect a sizeable increase when the final BARB figures are released next week. The overnight figures only include those who watched it live and those who recorded and watched it later that night, however the final figures includes those who recorded and watched within a week, making them a more accurate measure of how many were watching.

The 2014 ratings so far:

Deep Breath 6.8m (overnight) 9.17m (final) 10.76m (L+7) AI 82
    Into the Dalek 5.2m (overnight) 7.29m (final) 8.26m (L+7) AI 84
    Robot of Sherwood 5.2m (overnight) 7.28m (final) 8.25m (L+7) AI 82
    Listen 4.8m (overnight) 7.01m (final) 7.80m (L+7) AI 82
    Time Heist 4.93m (overnight) 6.99m (final) AI 84
    The Caretaker 4.89m (overnight) 6.82m (final) AI 83
    Kill the Moon 4.81m (overnight) 6.91m (final) AI 82
    Mummy on the Orient Express 5.08m (overnight) 7.11m (final) AI 85
    Flatline 4.6m (overnight) 6.71m (final) AI 85
    In the Forest of the Night 5.03m (overnight) TBCm (final) AI TBC

(iPlayer figures are not included in the ‘final’ figure)
    (Live Plus 7 (L+7) counts those who watched live and all repeats, including iPlayer, within seven days following broadcast.)
    (The Audience Appreciation Index (AI) is a score out of 100 which is used as an indicator of the public’s appreciation for a show.)"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-8-ratings-accumulator-66394.htm

"Neil Gaiman, writer of fan favourite The Doctor’s Wife (and not-so-fan-favourite Nightmare in Silver), has said that he is hoping to contribute an episode for Peter Capaldi’s run sometime in the future.

Speaking in a conversation with Audrey Niffenegger he said: “Whenever I’m in the UK, I sneak into meetings with [the production team]. They say, ‘Can you do another one?!’ and I say, ‘Yes! But not yet!’

He adds: “Now I’m just sort of hoping that I can get one done while Peter Capaldi is still the Doctor, because it would be a very sad thing if I lost my chance to write for a grumpy, Scottish Doctor.

Gaiman also recently spoke about the lack of female writers for Doctor Who on his Tumblr: “In the six years I’ve been working with the Doctor Who team, the producers and script editors I’ve directly worked with (four out of six of whom have been women) have had a lot of attention on getting women writers onto the team.

“They’ve reached out to a lot of women writers — I know that Steven Moffat has personally been in touch with a lot of female writers and been defeated over and over by scheduling problems, and people saying no, and been as frustrated as anybody (probably much more frustrated as he’s the one reaching out). It’s a priority for them too.”

The last TV story to be written by a female was Helen Raynor with The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky two-parter in 2008."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/neil-gaiman-on-hopes-for-capaldi-episode-female-who-writers-68016.htm

"It’s time to reveal how you voted in Doctor Who TV’s poll last week for Mummy on the Orient Express. As usual we asked you to give the episode a score out of 10:
    What would you rate Mummy on the Orient Express out of 10? (Poll Closed)
    10/10 - Full steam ahead! 32.23%

9/10 - Great 31.38%

8/10 - Very good 21.56%

7/10 - Good 8.95%

6/10 - Above average 2.22%

5/10 - Average 1.91%

4/10 - Below average 0.79%

3/10 - Poor 0.48%

1/10 - Derailed! 0.39%

2/10 - Very Poor 0.08%

Return To Poll

It was a well received episode overall, with a final averaged score of 8.679. It’s therefore beaten Deep Breath to become the new second highest of the series, behind only Listen.

So far the full 2014 placings are:

Listen – 8.918
    Mummy on the Orient Express - 8.679
    Deep Breath – 8.282
    Into the Dalek – 8.052
    Time Heist - 7.823
    Kill the Moon – 7.808
    The Caretaker - 7.795
    Robot of Sherwood – 7.512

How will Flatline fare? We’ll find out next week."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/your-verdict-on-mummy-episode-ranking-67907.htm

"Last week Doctor Who TV asked you to pick a side by voting in our poll. This was a close vote as you might expect, but in the end 56.17% chose to back the Doctor.
    Whose side were you on at the end of Kill the Moon? (Poll Closed)
    The Doctor's 56.17%

Clara's 43.83%

Lights on or off?

earth-lights-kill-the-moon

We also placed you in Earth’s shoes and asked you to vote on the dilemma of whether to leave the lights on or off. This was an even closer one, but in the end 52.81% chose to leave the lights on, thus letting the creature live.
    Earth, make your choice... (Poll Closed)
    Lights on (Let the creature live) 52.81%

Lights off (Kill the creature) 47.19% "

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/kill-the-moon-who-was-right-thoughts-your-vote-63159.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    In the extra behind-the-scenes video from BBC, Moffat says that the Doctor usually takes a companion and turns them into a better person through their adventures but with Clara he's realizing that their journeys might actually be making her a worse person. Clara had the chance to leave and didn't take it so I wonder if the Doctor is going to force her to leave for her own good... the "impossible choice" referred to in the finale?

Also, there's a rumor floating around that Missy may very well be a personality of the Doctor, like maybe she's the first incarnation of the Valeyard. At the end of Flat line we see Missy watching Clara on a screen, but the point of view doesn't make a lot of sense where her camera could be; it's almost as though she's watching from the Doctor's perspective. Missy could also be a part of the Doctor's guilty conscience - like she's just a figment in his brain - where he stores memories of all the people he failed to save. Or she could be the Master or any number of other things...
    something i noticed is that "my clara" is something smiths doctor used to say alot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Am I the only one who cracked up as the Doctor moved the TARDIS literally by hand?

favorite part of the whole episode

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Because the Americans wanted their own version of Broadchurch, so they made a new one and decided just to REALLY rub it in they'd hire David again. As to why HE said he'd do it... Money. LOTS of money.
    and so far theres literally zero difference between the two shows except theres alot more pretty people and the acting is worse.

its also getting absolute shit for ratings so its basically cancelled.

anyone who is thinking about watching gracepoint, dont, just dont. go watch broadchurch. its the same exact plot, except acted well and with more realistic characters
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

"Neil Gaiman, writer of fan favourite The Doctor’s Wife (and not-so-fan-favourite Nightmare in Silver), has said that he is hoping to contribute an episode for Peter Capaldi’s run sometime in the future.

Speaking in a conversation with Audrey Niffenegger he said: “Whenever I’m in the UK, I sneak into meetings with [the production team]. They say, ‘Can you do another one?!’ and I say, ‘Yes! But not yet!’

He adds: “Now I’m just sort of hoping that I can get one done while Peter Capaldi is still the Doctor, because it would be a very sad thing if I lost my chance to write for a grumpy, Scottish Doctor.

Gaiman also recently spoke about the lack of female writers for Doctor Who on his Tumblr: “In the six years I’ve been working with the Doctor Who team, the producers and script editors I’ve directly worked with (four out of six of whom have been women) have had a lot of attention on getting women writers onto the team.

“They’ve reached out to a lot of women writers — I know that Steven Moffat has personally been in touch with a lot of female writers and been defeated over and over by scheduling problems, and people saying no, and been as frustrated as anybody (probably much more frustrated as he’s the one reaching out). It’s a priority for them too.”

The last TV story to be written by a female was Helen Raynor with The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky two-parter in 2008."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/neil-ga...ters-68016.htm
    Maybe it is just me but...I don't give a shit about what sex the writers happens to be. Just give it to the people who are the best at writing, it seems like they have been trying and failing to get female authors on, it does not matter, if they don't want to do it, then fine. Don't hire someone because of their sex, that would be sexism....Just give me the best writers, I don't care.

Also Gailman was the one who mentioned that Who did not pay well for writing, if I remember correctly

It is funny, I remember those two episodes being trash also, please, don't have her come back, we don't like her(Helen Raynor) writing.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-10-27 at 05:27 AM.

I was really enjoying the episode, until the last 10 minutes. We all know Doctor Who is famous for it's deus ex machina plot resolutions, but that was just ridiculous, the trees appear and fireproof the earth from a devastating solar flare (hope they fireproof the ozone layer somehow) then also they magic her sister back for no reason what-so-ever.

It could have been so good, if wasn't so insultingly bad at the end.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think clara will be evil, i think they just chose certain clips from the episode to make it appear like she was evil to build hype

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I don't think clara will be evil, i think they just chose certain clips from the episode to make it appear like she was evil to build hype
    I think Missy will take over her body or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    and so far theres literally zero difference between the two shows except theres alot more pretty people and the acting is worse.

its also getting absolute shit for ratings so its basically cancelled.

anyone who is thinking about watching gracepoint, dont, just dont. go watch broadchurch. its the same exact plot, except acted well and with more realistic characters
    Unlike Broadchurch, which has just finished filming season 2 Woop Woop! Best part? Eve Myles is in it .

As for Evil Clara... I'm still going with Missy being a future version of her, like a Clara Valeyard or something . She then tells Clara that the Doctor is going to do something really bad in the future so she has to destroy the TARDIS to stop it, if Missy is lying or not is still up in the air.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I'm wondering if Missy has a whole bunch of Clara clones in the Nethersphere. Because technically there have been like dozens of Clara spread throughout the Doctor's timestream, so is it possible that Missy picked up all of these bodies when each version died? She could have a whole army of brainwashed Claras! The trailer looks like Christmas special outfit Clara, who is technically current Clara, so that's confusing though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I'm wondering if Missy has a whole bunch of Clara clones in the Nethersphere. Because technically there have been like dozens of Clara spread throughout the Doctor's timestream, so is it possible that Missy picked up all of these bodies when each version died? She could have a whole army of brainwashed Claras! The trailer looks like Christmas special outfit Clara, who is technically current Clara, so that's confusing though.
    That would be cool, which would explain Missy saying things about how she chose well. As if she had all the Claras, and this was the one that suited her purposes the best.