Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Wagion View Post
    Didn't the doctor say 'She wasn't lying for the first time'?
    I thought the whole point of that scene was that Clara and the doctor were both lying to each other to make each other feel better. Missy was lying just to hurt him a bit more and get his hopes up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    So the 50th anniv. episode meant NOTHING for Gallifrey? Like, nothing at all?
    Yeah, i guess 'Destroyed' was a bit of poor wording from my part, more like missing, I guess.

Rule #1 : The Doctor lies
    Could be very likely, I just find it odd how he'd be so angry during the tardis scene if it simply wasn't there. Seems like something much worse happened to it (Don't get me wrong! Not saying my 'theory' is 100% correct, it's just the 'hunch' I currently have).

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be very likely, I just find it odd how he'd be so angry during the tardis scene if it simply wasn't there. Seems like something much worse happened to it (Don't get me wrong! Not saying my 'theory' is 100% correct, it's just the 'hunch' I currently have).
    Think he just got his hopes up a bit too much, don't know why though, after 2k years he should know the master lies as much as he does :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancing Minstrel View Post
    I thought the whole point of that scene was that Clara and the doctor were both lying to each other to make each other feel better. Missy was lying just to hurt him a bit more and get his hopes up.
    Yeah, i also got the feeling that the ending was about them lying to make the other one not worry about the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Think he just got his hopes up a bit too much, don't know why though, after 2k years he should know the master lies as much as he does :S
    Yeah, in fairness - it is something that matters a lot to the doctor, so it should impact him greatly to get his hopes up just to have them crushed..but it's the master we're talking about so he kinda should've expected it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    So..

- Osgood, noooooooo
    - Michelle Gomez is brilliant
    - BRIGADIER !!
    - Danny : (
    - And the last seconds, fantastic

Best episode in the season for me.
    in order:
    i know right?! i was the same! =(
    yepp that was awesome!
    can't believe im saying this.. but... good!
    do you mean during credits roll? if so then yes, that was awesome! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Wagion View Post
    Yeah, i also got the feeling that the ending was about them lying to make the other one not worry about the other.
    It's pretty obvious that the Doctor and Clara were both lying to each other when they said goodbye. The Doctor said he found Gallifrey but we know that he actually didn't find his planet and then had a meltdown in the TARDIS; Clara said she was going to live happily ever after but we know that Danny is actually still dead. Both Clara and the Doctor were trying to make each other feel better about separating. Their mutual sadness was obvious in their faces when they hugged goodbye; there was even a line about "hugs let you not show your face so they are purposely deceptive" just to spell it out for you if you don't understand subtlety.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gonna try to watch the new episode tonight, going to Texas Tonight(going to the Renaissance festival tomorrow). Hopeful I get to control the tv tonight. :]
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

This was the best episode of the whole season.
    I generally disliked every episode this season except these last two and Listen.
    The graveyard scene near the end really reminded me of the Valeyard.
    The salute was also a nice touch.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I don't think gallfrey was there, think he just saw empty space ie. Missy-Master lied >.<
    Nah, that's too simple , also I don't think it would evoke the reaction that it got from the Doctor.

I think it's FAR more likely that Gallifrey was there, it's just totally fucked up, like scorched earth fucked.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Well that episode happened I guess...
    If Missy is truly dead I'm gonna go bananas.. Such a wasted character
    The Christmass special - if it won't bring Danny back and be a real closure for Clara, where she finally gets to live with him - I'm gonna go bananas as well..
    Osgod killed, just like that? I went bananas already..
    Overall - very unsettling episode that ended.. in a very dark and sad way.. Sadder and darker than I hoped it would, there was no point where I could go "yeah, go team Doctor!".. It was all just a big downfall for the characters involved, basically everyone lost, and Missy truly won.. Overall it's a good episode, but it now left me with a biiiig hole in a heart.. :O not cool, not cool.. Especially that I've just watched Iron Giant and Serenity this week >.<'

- - - Updated - - -

Also that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The Doctor's reaction when he saw Galifrey... WTF did he see? Hopefully we'll find out next season.
    I thought he saw nothing and was just lying to spare Clara the worry, like Clara lies to spare The Doctor worrying about her, ending their relationship on lying to one-another. Just a poetic end for them after a season showing how toxic they had become for one-another. Though I imagine that the disappointment will spark the desire to find Gallifrey as the next season's overarching plot. Maybe, hopefully.

Also was the Master incinerated by the blast or did she just fall to the ground dead? I can't remember. They all turned and ran away right after it happened so if she didn't burst into ash, might she have been able to regenerate off screen? Seems a big shame to actually kill her off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure we didn't see the Nethersphere get shut down. It downloaded everyone, but if the plan was to wipe every living human out and raise them as Cybermen too, they'd need the Nethersphere to hold their psyches until the bodies are converted.

Which means Missy almost certainly got uploaded to it. Otherwise, she'd have regenerated. Time lord (well, lady), remember?

That was a truly fantastic and unique episode. I adored how the premise was far more intelligent and character-driven than just "Master takes over the world with an army of cybermen". Missy is a joy to watch in every scene. I only wish there could have been more of her.

I'm willing to bet she's clearly not dead, due to all the warping in and out of the Nethersphere, which I'm going to presume is her Tardis. Either the version of her in the outer world was just a projection the whole time, or she teleported back at the last second. They're obviously going to leave it open-ended due to Michelle Gomez's availability in the future, since she doesn't exactly live locally for filming. They'd be crazy not to at least try to bring her back, though.

Tons of feels and great usage of Clara and Danny. The only bits I would've been fine without were some of the UNIT things, but that's only because they weren't quite as compelling as everything else going on. It gave Missy a chance to be evil as heck, at least. She's by far the most threatening villain character I can remember in the revival series so far.

The ending seemed so final and poignant that I'm not sure if Clara returning in the Xmas episode might cheapen it a bit. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Overall this season was really solid, though. The finale two-parter was probably the only amazing stand-out remember-it-for-years story, but the average quality of the episodes was well above average. The only two I disliked were Time Heist due to the by-the-numbers script and poor production values, and In the Forest of the Night due to the main plot lacking any kind of conflict whatsoever.

Clara has been my favourite companion so far, though a lot of that is due to the writers actually giving her compelling stuff to do and getting her involved in a really engaging and different relationship with the Doctor.
    Peter Capaldi was the stand-out highlight overall, though. I absolutely adore him, and he's already contending with Matt Smith as my favourite Doctor. I don't know if I can ever say I like him more than Matt, because their portrayals of the Doctor are so different, and they're both amazing in their own unique ways.

Super excited for the Xmas special and season nine!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    I thought he saw nothing and was just lying to spare Clara the worry, like Clara lies to spare The Doctor worrying about her, ending their relationship on lying to one-another. Just a poetic end for them after a season showing how toxic they had become for one-another. Though I imagine that the disappointment will spark the desire to find Gallifrey as the next season's overarching plot. Maybe, hopefully.

Also was the Master incinerated by the blast or did she just fall to the ground dead? I can't remember. They all turned and ran away right after it happened so if she didn't burst into ash, might she have been able to regenerate off screen? Seems a big shame to actually kill her off.
    That's the thing, if there'd been nothing there... Then what's the problem? Missy lied, shocker, he still doesn't know where Galifrey is, no real change there, so why the extreme reaction? I mean he was smashing up the Tardis console, he looked SUPER angry, like angrier than we've EVER seen the Doctor. Maybe it's because he found Galifrey, he's finally got home... Only to find scorched earth and ruins, so all the hope he's had in him since he changed history in the 50th... that he could actually go home, that he wasn't the last of his kind... All reduced to ash, along with all of his people.

As for The Master's body. She got zapped by a cyberman laser and just kinda... poofed. There was no body, no ash, nothing. It was a bit wierd really.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

That's the thing, if there'd been nothing there... Then what's the problem? Missy lied, shocker, he still doesn't know where Galifrey is, no real change there, so why the extreme reaction? I mean he was smashing up the Tardis console, he looked SUPER angry, like angrier than we've EVER seen the Doctor. Maybe it's because he found Galifrey, he's finally got home... Only to find scorched earth and ruins, so all the hope he's had in him since he changed history in the 50th... that he could actually go home, that he wasn't the last of his kind... All reduced to ash, along with all of his people.
    Gallifrey wasn't there, it was quite obvious. First he was knocking on the monitors that showed empty space, then when he looked out - he saw empty space as well.
    He got angry because he believed that this time Missy would tell him the truth. She knew where Gallifrey was and was his only hope of finding it, at that point at least. Now, believing Missy is truly dead, evaporated by the Cyberman, he has no way of getting that information again, he just lost another fight, and well.. Melted down. 12th is carrying a lot of anger inside him, that was just a very delayed vent, he snapped at last.
    Having Gallifrey destroyed would be a total waste IMHO. Moffat did a lot of work to bring it back to the Whoniverse, to open the doors for Time Lords return, which should eventually happen - since new Who, we've only seen 2 Time Lords, and having Master just popping out from time to time will get (or already got) old eventually.. We need other Time Lords returned at some point to "refresh" the show again..

My assumption would be, that next season will focus more on Doctor trying to find his home planet. At last we'll know what he's been calculation since he woke up in Deep Breath..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    The Doctor's reaction when he saw Galifrey... WTF did he see? Hopefully we'll find out next season.
    Its pretty obvious what he saw: NOT Galifrey - thats what his reacting afterwards made CLEAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancing Minstrel View Post
    Exactly - as clara was lying about pinkmen so was the doctor. as Clara said impersonating the doctor: Im the biggest Liar in the universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Incinerated

Actually, looking at that over and over again, there's a blue glow overlaid on the incineration that looks a LOT like how she teleported off the plane. Can't find a gif of it, but I distinctly remember it having a similar blue/green glow effect.

Missy or the Master obviously did not 'die' but its possible that the body that he used IE missy did so its possible the master will go back to being another form.

Her/his soul is prolly in the nethershere or someshit ready to be reincarnated like he/she always does
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2014-11-09 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Actually, looking at that over and over again, there's a blue glow overlaid on the incineration that looks a LOT like how she teleported off the plane. Can't find a gif of it, but I distinctly remember it having a similar blue/green glow effect.
    I'm sure the Master has a fail-safe mechanism. Like if she dies, then she's automatically uploaded to the Nethersphere. Or that if she's betrayed by the Cybermen and shot by one of them it turns into a teleport instead of a death beam. She could have engineered anything she wanted into the Cybermen in advance. The Master's death scene is a little sad because you know the Doctor doesn't want to kill her, he wants to save her and also find Gallifrey. And now that she's "dead" the Doctor is still lost, because the Master knew where Gallifrey was (she escaped from the planet, after all) but can't tell him now.

I expected the Doctor would catch what's-her-name from UNIT in his TARDIS. He was still pretty high up - like above the clouds - when he caught up with the TARDIS during his freefall so he would've had time to catch Kate (that's her name, right?). I was actually shocked he didn't. But I guess it was setting up the fake Brigadier cameo. Still say that an army of dead Clara echoes would have been a better story. Like the Master put Clara with the Doctor so she'd split into all these selves over time & then that would be the Master's cyber-army.
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2014-11-09 at 03:31 AM.

I do believe the character of Missy is indeed dead for good though