Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    What are they doing with the guitar and sonic sun glasses, it's just cringey :S

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I think that's missing the whole point of the character. Previously we've had externally young characters with old souls, now we have an externally old character with a more youthful soul.
    That's because it doesn't make any sense. Souls cannot get younger. If anything Capaldi's doctor must've had even older soul. But not senile old, of course.
    Young bodies with old souls are fine, old bodies with young souls are weird.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Part of what made a lot of classic episodes so great was the villain was often a great person that made too many bad decisions until they "what if.."'d themselves to the point of no return.

Take for example Genesis of the Daleks. Davros was a brilliant man that was hardened by war until he finally turned cold and evil. I think they are touching on that theme with The Magician's Apprentice.

The Talons of Weng Chi-ang was a great story. I think the scene that made it great when Li H'sen Chang paused to reminisce about how he first met Mangus Greel. Chang was a simple farmer, but when the box appeared before him, he felt called to duty to serve his God. He sacrificed so much and it only led him on a dark path to his own destruction. It added depth to his character.

I really liked the Green Death but a big part of that was the surprising complex relationship between Stevens and the BOSS. At first you think Stevens has merely been re-programmed but he later seems almost weirdly affectionate with the computer, crying as he kills him. I think he was a lonely man building a friend more than a computer and kept defending that friend despite all of the horrors it was committing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's because it doesn't make any sense. Souls cannot get younger. If anything Capaldi's doctor must've had even older soul. But not senile old, of course.
    Jon Pertwee was the same way though, and he was loved. There were many episodes where Liz Shaw or the Brigadier was the adult in the room, and the 3rd doctor would just pout, stomp his feet, or act childish to get his way.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    What are they doing with the guitar and sonic sun glasses, it's just cringey :S
    Gotta sell dem action figures
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    It's metaphorical, jesus.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's metaphorical, jesus.
    He's more than a thousand years old. Some metaphor...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    He's more than a thousand years old. Some metaphor...
    That's the whole point of the metaphor. When someone is said to have a young soul, or an old soul it is usually to specifically point out that their personality is at odds with their actual age. Like I'm assuming English is your first language but if so you're having a really hard time grasping a simple and widely used metaphor.

He's externally old, both physically and in his mannerisms. But inside he can be rather childish and petty, and more positively has a childlike wonder for the universe. Look at how excited he gets when he thinks he's meeting real ghosts. That is, imo, the whole point of his character. I think it would be very dull if he acted like a stereotypical old man.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's externally old, both physically and in his mannerisms. But inside he can be rather childish and petty, and more positively has a childlike wonder for the universe. Look at how excited he gets when he thinks he's meeting real ghosts. That is, imo, the whole point of his character. I think it would be very dull if he acted like a stereotypical old man.
    That's exactly why it is bad. He knows there are no ghosts and that some kind of technology is involved. Whatever writers wished to achieve with the character they went in the wrong direction. Doctor just looks stupid. I understand it is hard for them, because Doctor is practically knows almost everything (except for his own future), being the time lord and stuff. It is impossible to surprise him with "ghosts". So they dumbed him down.

Deleted
    That's exactly why it is bad. He knows there are no ghosts and that some kind of technology is involved. Whatever writers wished to achieve with the character they went in the wrong direction. Doctor just looks stupid. I understand it is hard for them, because Doctor is practically knows almost everything (except for his own future), being the time lord and stuff. It is impossible to surprise him with "ghosts". So they dumbed him down.
    That was the whole reason he was so excited. He was initially skeptical but when he could find no obvious explanation he concluded temporarily that they had to be really ghosts. And that would be something truly knew and exciting so he gets giddy as a school girl about it. And besides, the Doctor doesn't know everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was the whole reason he was so excited. He was initially skeptical but when he could find no obvious explanation he concluded temporarily that they had to be really ghosts. And that would be something truly knew and exciting so he gets giddy as a school girl about it. And besides, the Doctor doesn't know everything.
    Except he in his previous incarnations met "ghosts" and was pretty adamant that ghosts do not exist and some trickery is at play. Doctor has bad memory? Or maybe writers?
    Continuity. It's important.

And I didn't say he knows everything. Speaking of English language.

The doctor made the point on Trenzalore that he doesn't have a plan, people just love it when he says that. He just gives a speech, hopes something good happens, takes the credit.

Personally, I always imagined that the doctor actually has a LOT of adventures where he screws everything up and the bad guys win and he just escapes. We're just seeing the adventures where HE wins.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Except he in his previous incarnations met "ghosts" and was pretty adamant that ghosts do not exist and some trickery is at play. Doctor has bad memory? Or maybe writers?
    Continuity. It's important.

And I didn't say he knows everything. Speaking of English language.
    And this Doctor is also quite adamant at first that they can't be ghosts. A quite quickly gets to work figuring out the explanation behind them. So really he has a brief outburst of excitement at the possibility of ghosts. Why are you complaining about that?

10+ Year Old Account
    And this Doctor is also quite adamant at first that they can't be ghosts. A quite quickly gets to work figuring out the explanation behind them. So really he has a brief outburst of excitement at the possibility of ghosts. Why are you complaining about that?
    I'm not complaining about IT specifically. You brought it up I just pointed out how it is one of the weird things that bothers me.
    Capaldi's doctor is weird to me. I blame the writers. You can love him for all I care.

Deleted
    I'm not complaining about IT specifically. You brought it up I just pointed out how it is one of the weird things that bothers me.
    Capaldi's doctor is weird to me. I blame the writers. You can love him for all I care.
    He's the Doctor. Of course he's weird. 11 wasn't weird?

I just don't get your complaint. You seem to be saying that because Capaldi is older that they should play the grumpy old man trope straight and if he displays anything contrary to that it's wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's the Doctor. Of course he's weird. 11 wasn't weird?
    11 had personality quirks which were fine.
    Capaldi's doctor was fine in his 1st season. A darker doctor as they promised. This new season they changed him extremely for whatever reason and it is not working for me. He has no quirks, his just doesn't fit with all these out of the blue glasses and guitars. It just feels forced. Unbecoming of the doctor.
    I just don't get your complaint. You seem to be saying that because Capaldi is older that they should play the grumpy old man trope straight and if he displays anything contrary to that it's wrong.
    He was grumpy in his first season and I liked it. It was fitting. This new version is not to my liking. I think you just have to deal with it.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm...this episode was...interesting. I like them directly confronting time paradoxes, but they broke the 4th wall just a bit too much. Was it really necessary to have him stare directly into the camera while delivering all the monologues? That was a terrible choice. Just have him talking to himself, end of story. Pretty high quality, high budget BBC monster that was shunted to irrelevance.

Overall I liked the performances, but the overall story execution was awkward. Miles better than the first two episodes, but still not right. Best part of the episode was the deaf woman's acting. Idk if she's actually deaf irl, but she was very good at silent face emoting.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Best part of the episode was the deaf woman's acting. Idk if she's actually deaf irl, but she was very good at silent face emoting.
    She's really deaf. Apparently it's a big thing because it's the first time they've had someone actually deaf on the show.

What was throwing me though... Did her translator actually understand what she was doing, or was he just saying what the SCRIPT said she was saying? IF it was the second, does anyone know if she was really signing what he was saying or did the BBC slip a few jokes in where we couldn't see?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    You guys realize the opening bit is actually the ending, right? He's not talking to us, he's not talking to himself, he's talking to Clara out of frame. They don't show her because they didn't want to spoil it. The ending of the episode is the beginning of the episode.
    I had totally missed that but going back and watching the start again after watching the end, it fits perfectly. Even the angle he's looking into the camera at. The episode 'finishes' with him looking down into it (and the guitar riff which should have been a sign) and it starts, after the 'last time on Dr Who' part in the exact same position and never actually shows the center of the Tardis. And him not looking at Clara while talking to her isn't exactly uncommon.

You've got to remember though, this Doctor has reconciled with his past (The War Doctor) and knows that his planet and people aren't dead. His soul might not be literally younger, but he's far more upbeat and youthful, unencumbered by the baggage the previous Doctors have been carrying.

I get the complaints about the love part at the end feeling forced, but that coupled with the part where Clara is on the phone to the Doctor (before he comes through the glass) makes me feel like it's leading to something, or just playing off the whole idea that she's travelling with the Doctor again to give her something to live for after Danny.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2015-10-12 at 03:54 AM.

Deleted
    He was grumpy in his first season and I liked it. It was fitting. This new version is not to my liking. I think you just have to deal with it.
    But...he's not any different. Or rather not much different. In Season 8 he was more concerned with the philosophical question of whether he was a good man, but 12 has always had a wacky side. Sulking with otters, trying to find Wally in random books. I think Moffat rightly decided that having 12 struggling with his morality for 3 or 4 seasons (or however long Capaldi is sticking around) would get dull rather fast so he's given 12 a smidge more levity. But to me this all seems very consistent with his character arc.

If you don't like 12 then that's fine by me, but he's little different in season 9 than he was in season 8.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    She's really deaf. Apparently it's a big thing because it's the first time they've had someone actually deaf on the show.

What was throwing me though... Did her translator actually understand what she was doing, or was he just saying what the SCRIPT said she was saying? IF it was the second, does anyone know if she was really signing what he was saying or did the BBC slip a few jokes in where we couldn't see?
    She's a really good actress. I know it's hard to fit in deaf roles b/c it has to be written into the story, but she should be in more stuff. Was very cool seeing her be the captain or whatever. The Daredevil scene was cringeworthy, but otherwise her role in the two episodes was the strongest part of them.

I'm sure she was signing a script, much like the guy responding was signing a script. Just like other languages though, signing has shortcuts and things that don't translate 1:1. For example, when they say Clara they just sign a 'C' to the forehead iirc. But in any case, they would get sued if they did something wonky like use deaf people to make inside jokes.

Though maybe some of the captains angry signs were a bit edgy and not what we were told straight up, if that's what you were referring to. I'm sure the review boards have someone capable of translating sign language though b/c it's not like they could just sign a curse laden rant b/c it isn't audible much like they could have Fbombs in writing flashing all over the screen.
    BAD WOLF