Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Battle of Canary Wharf
    Dalek Invasion of Earth with Davros and the kidnapped 27 planets

im sure there's more
    Welcome to the dufus writing that is RTD/Moff

I so could not stand their bullshit hand-wave concept of "Oh, humans will just forget..."

You write a show about space and TIME TRAVELING... like... through RECORDED HISTORY! If humans just "forgot", we wouldn't have a time traveling show - would we? >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    7 mil viewers, by the end of the season, and RT score is based of ~3k viewer scores.

So, while it’s possible some of them are spite viewers, some are hoping it’ll get better, and some are just creatures of habit... it’s very possible that some of them actually enjoyed the series. Just saying.
    I've really enjoyed the series (I'm not saying it was flawless!) as it's much closser to how Classic-Who's storypacing and principles which is something I greatly missed.

However, I'm not deaf to the sound of so many people being upset at the new Jodie season and have a theory about it. I call it the "Metroid Prime Effect".

There's actually 2 camps of fans of Metroid, fans of the classic 2D adventure side-scrollish style, and the 1st person perspective shooter style via Prime. This has divided many fans as to which one they prefer more - Prime or Classic. Yes, there are some who like both - but they're very few in number compared to the two.

I feel the same thing might be happening right now with Jodie's Season. We now have MANY classic fans on board like me, punching the air at this show welcoming its style and bold ideas that harken back to the great storytelling first ideals of Classic... and I suspect there's a new audience also joining in, particularly with a female Doctor, whom have never experienced Doctor Who before. (Remember, this WAS designed to be a new jumping-in point!)

However, this is leaving the RTD/Moff era fans feeling very lost as its so different to them now.

So, to the RTD/Moff era fans... welcome to my many years of pain! :P

I think that's why we get tons of established New-Who youtubers griping about the new season, yet the new season's numbers are doing really strong. In short, it's not fully for the RTD/Moff generation anymore... and they're not sure how to react to it. Again, welcome to my world in "welcoming change" when the series returned. ;P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    2) In re: the show's shift, it seems like the show has become more action-adventure than true sci-fi.
    Really? I'd actually say Doctor Who is closer to Sci Fi now than it's ever been. RTD/Moff eras have been, IMO, some weird off hybrid "Fantasy-science" schtick. I can't even write "Science Fantasy" as I think the Fantasy comes first.

Maybe its easier for me as, again, it's much closer to classic - so I'm used to having episode stories set in specific time periods in Earth's history?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    You can have all of the themes of racism, sexism, etc that you want - In fact commentary on real world issues is a staple of any good scifi. What people don't like is Doctor Whos hamfisted approach to it, which has all of the subtlety of... well, of a time travelling racist from the future that wants to kill Rosa Parks. I guess if it was subtle, people wouldn't realise how woke they are.
    That's kinda one of the things I do point out that Classic did better. It never straight-up went to the heart of it. While in some ways I like the boldness of that... having EVERY other episode be "bold" kinda makes it... dunno... not as bold? =/

When Classic-Who dealt with Racism, they had stories like "Frontier in Space" where Humans and Draconians were on the bring of war with the Master playing to their fears. We had Humans wiping out Solonians in "the Mutants" because they were mutating, but we discovered that those mutants were actually just a forced evolution due to the pollution humans brought... we had Gender Wars in 1964 in "Galaxy 4" where the males of the Drahvin race were looked down upon and oppressed by the females of their species, ect.

...but we never had straight-up Earth Racism in Classic Who.

The adult in me really loves the story set in Georgia, and it does make me feel like "Who" has grown up... but I'm also looking at it from your point of view as well, where I wonder "...does it really need to be that obvious? Maybe once in a while?"

One thing I will say, people will still complain of an "Agenda" if they did just do the racist story with a different species.

The other thing I will say is that, yeah, the "villain" in that story really was far too cardboard and obvious. He could've been from 1985 for all I know... which did make me wonder why somebody from Jack Harkness' era would be a racist. (Then again, he is suposed to be a convict... so he's got to have a problem somewhere.)

Heh the youtuber who did the audience score for Doctor Who found its polar opposite. While Doctor Who gets over 90% critic score and a 20%ish audience score, The Orville season 1 gets a 20%ish critic score and over a 90% audience score.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, it was alright. I don't know why we needed to add characters for a little light romance drama, or father-son drama. We literally already have characters who can fill those roles.

Dalek was...okay. Doc had some tricks, Dalek had some tricks. Think the story overall lacked focus (again: the side characters).
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I never watched after the first episode but series 11 seems like a complete snoozefest

A mediocre episode until they reach the communications place then it descended into a joke again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Eh, it was alright. I don't know why we needed to add characters for a little light romance drama, or father-son drama. We literally already have characters who can fill those roles.

Dalek was...okay. Doc had some tricks, Dalek had some tricks. Think the story overall lacked focus (again: the side characters).
    Yeah, that felt a little... split? I don't mind having the side-drama plot, but they really need to learn from shows like Supernatural and such where the sub-plots tend to have their own little narrative above "sitting at a pub for lunch". That's the problem with the side-story this episode, you jump to it and its slow and talky and you're like "FUCK GET BACK TO THE EMERGENCY DALEK STUFF!!!" ;P

Also Brexit causing UNIT to desolve!? I had to admit I kinda laughed as it IS supposed to be a multi-nationaly funded organization - so it does technically makes sense...

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire of Ryan-Dad storyline was incredibly boring...it felt like it was eastenders or something..

This entire season is just horrific, they even added a gay security guard because why not? How did knowing he had a boyfriend help the plot in the slightest? How the fudge does Ryan having a disability advance the plot? Why are we supposed to care about Ryan and his dad? Oh no their relationship isn't perfect QQ guess we will have to have a 5 minute conversation in a cafe.

I loved Doctor Who for years, i watch all the reactions to old episodes on youtube like Blindwave, Failwahale34 etc because they are just so good, this season is just embarrassing and makes me a shamed to say i like doctor who.

Amy's parents got eaten by a crack, brought back then never seen again...but nope Ryan has unresolved issues because his dad didn't love him...

Know i'm ranting but it's just amazing how low it can go considering how great the past seasons were. Hell i'm enjoying watching Class than the latest Doctor Who season...
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2019-01-02 at 12:23 PM.

Haven’t even watched it and I was getting flashbacks of “cyberwoman” from torchwood season 1, who wrote the story? Was it chibnall? Can see where the episode is going if that’s the case

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Heh the youtuber who did the audience score for Doctor Who found its polar opposite. While Doctor Who gets over 90% critic score and a 20%ish audience score, The Orville season 1 gets a 20%ish critic score and over a 90% audience score.

[video=youtube;EEpTSNyRgig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpTSNyRgig[video]
    The funny thing is I think that really showcases the "Fanboi wants" vs "Practical review" quite well.

While I love Orville, that 1st episode of the new season was pretty dump and wet. It was a weird uncomfortable mushy mess of "but I still love you!" werid emotions as opposed to science fiction. But the lovers of the show want it to continue spam in "ZOMG BEST SO GLAD ITS BACK!" because they liked last seasons.

if any of the writers sees this thread (lol) please just remove the companions or just keep Graham

Ryan and .... not even remember her name are just there, she is just for Ryan shoulder and probably future girlfriend, their storys are just bad, their acting is bad (especially Ryan) and kills alot of "immersion" and screen time with the doctor

The new doctor is ok, some flaws but its ok and if given less writing to care for all this companions she will be alot better

a Father - Daughter type relation with Graham and The Doctor like many suggested will be better than this, anything would be better than this 3 companions crap

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    While I love Orville, that 1st episode of the new season was pretty dump and wet. It was a weird uncomfortable mushy mess of "but I still love you!" werid emotions as opposed to science fiction. But the lovers of the show want it to continue spam in "ZOMG BEST SO GLAD ITS BACK!" because they liked last seasons.
    I have to agree. I enjoyed it, but not much more than the New Years Special. Kinda had the same problem: lots of plots, none of which were very satisfying.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Well, that was dump of a season for me and seemingly others. Chibnall has to go and someone needs to teach Jodie about the Doctor's emotional character.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

So could Whoopie Goldberg have made a great Doctor?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47128578

Apparently according to that article she actually asked to be the first female doctor and she absolutely loves the show.

Now lets get to the elephant in the room and say she is black and female and that certainly ticks the boxes but thats not why i ask this cause what makes me ask this is her brilliant portrayal as Guinan on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

There she looks alien and somewhat eccentric where we no next to nothing about her race apart from the fact she has lived for countless centuries, She has a ability to sense when time lines dont add up, She can be kind and also a badass when needs to be and lastly even Q seemed to be somewhat scared of her to a point saying she is dangerous to Picard.

Tell me that doesnt suit the doctor to a tee?

That to me is the Doctor no matter what genitalia or skin colour you have and quite frankly thinking about it more i wish she would've gotten the Job than Jodie 'I dont seem to give a shit' Whittaker!

10+ Year Old Account
    Was talking with a friend of mine last night, and he’s just finished watching this season. He had a pretty great theory.

Wouldn’t it have been A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER if during “Rosa”, the bus driver had been taken out, because plot, and then Graham had had to drive the bus, and had been the one that had to call the pigs on Rosa. It would have had a serious emotional punch, and would have flipped the story on the doomsayers, who were worried that the Doctor was somehow going to be responsible for Rosa doing what she did... and if they’d taken the path of Graham being the driver, they kinda would be, just not in the way people expected.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Well, that was dump of a season for me and seemingly others. Chibnall has to go and someone needs to teach Jodie about the Doctor's emotional character.
    couldn't agree more. the writing was absolutely dreadful, there was no overall plot arc - sure, the same villain from the first episode reappeared in the final one but there were no clues, no mystery about it. Bad Wolf, the crack in the wall, the planets disappearing - nothing like that was in this season.

10 episodes were not nearly enough, they needed 13 to flesh the multiple companions out properly. Or they should've gotten Ryan and Graham for the first season, and Yas for the second. the themes for some of the episodes were interesting; Rosa Parkes was a highlight. but the monsters were too human, or just plain weird (like the eating monster), and no classic monsters til the NYD episode (which was the highlight of the season).

Jodie made for an interesting Doctor but yeah you can get talented actors and still have a shit end product - look at the remake of Ghostbusters for an example. it's all down to how it's written, and the writers sucked fucking balls

Quote Originally Posted by Two Factor View Post
    So could Whoopie Goldberg have made a great Doctor?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47128578

Apparently according to that article she actually asked to be the first female doctor and she absolutely loves the show.

Now lets get to the elephant in the room and say she is black and female and that certainly ticks the boxes but thats not why i ask this cause what makes me ask this is her brilliant portrayal as Guinan on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

There she looks alien and somewhat eccentric where we no next to nothing about her race apart from the fact she has lived for countless centuries, She has a ability to sense when time lines dont add up, She can be kind and also a badass when needs to be and lastly even Q seemed to be somewhat scared of her to a point saying she is dangerous to Picard.

Tell me that doesnt suit the doctor to a tee?

That to me is the Doctor no matter what genitalia or skin colour you have and quite frankly thinking about it more i wish she would've gotten the Job than Jodie 'I dont seem to give a shit' Whittaker!
    I dont think the doctor should be american.

the doctor should always be from the uk, i feel like casting an american as the doctor would be like casting a british person as steve rogers.

granted whoopie goldburg would probably be a better choice than michael jackson or eddie murphy who fox was trying to get to be the 8th doctor before they gave the role to mcgann.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

the doctor should always be from the uk, i feel like casting an american as the doctor would be like casting a british person as steve rogers.

granted whoopie goldburg would probably be a better choice than michael jackson or eddie murphy who fox was trying to get to be the 8th doctor before they gave the role to mcgann.
    Well they did cast American Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes and brit Henry Cavill as the ultimate american Superman.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

So its about being British that gets you the role of being an outerspace alien?

Seriously i would much prefer to see Whoopie Goldberg being Guinan as the 13th Doctor than Jodie Whittaker portrayal in the last season.

Whoopie actually loves the show and wouldve gave her all but Jodie just doesnt either care or doesnt seem to want to give it her all like the gravitas that it deserves.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2019-02-10 at 07:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i wouldn't care where they are from as long as they could revilitiase the show after this terrible season.

I can imagine Whoopie would be actually entertaining to watch despite the terrible writing she has to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yeah i wouldn't care where they are from as long as they could revilitiase the show after this terrible season.

I can imagine Whoopie would be actually entertaining to watch despite the terrible writing she has to deal with.
    I mean, she's also been acting since Whittaker was in diapers, so ya know, it's not really surprising that she's a better actress.

Just, be kind.