Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Extremely premature thoughts assuming Peter Capaldi IS the 12th Doctor...

I think that would mean they are going to attempt to return to the original format, where the Doctor is an old, cranky, antihero type. A lot of people would like to see that, which is why Hugh Laurie gets mentioned so often. Greg House is basically the 1st Doctor. Capaldi is best known for playing that type of character. Capaldi's face even LOOKS like a strange cross between Hugh Laurie and Peter Cushing IMO haha.

Making such a move would be BOLD, because the mandate for Doctor Who CLEARLY is to be children's show as defined by modern parameters. They pretty much NEVER have given the show much of a hard edge since the 2005 return. I don't know how they can square the two. For Capaldi to be successful Doctor, the show would have to stop being made for children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Maybe Kyary Pamyu Pamyu for 12th Doctor?
    "I wear a shark now, sharks are cool"
    I would be totally okay with that if not the Doctor she would make an excellent companion... For me...

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Making such a move would be BOLD, because the mandate for Doctor Who CLEARLY is to be children's show as defined by modern parameters. They pretty much NEVER have given the show much of a hard edge since the 2005 return. I don't know how they can square the two. For Capaldi to be successful Doctor, the show would have to stop being made for children.
    I would very much approve of this, I think the doctor needs to return to his "antihero" roots, maybe not AS much as the early doctors, but a bit more than the current ones
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    In Voyage of the Damned he was playing Wilfred Mott, he's never played another character.
    He played Tom Campbell in Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just saying.

He has Nerd Hair
    Goofy clothing looks good on him
    He's smart and witty
    He fixes electronics and can speak in technobable

Richard Ayoade

Don't know why people are discussing who the next doctor should be, we all know we won't know the guy they pick most likely.

EDIT: Just realized they will reveal who it is tomorrow. I guess that's why the speculation has returned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    EDIT: Just realized they will reveal who it is tomorrow. I guess that's why the speculation has returned.
    Even though I am in the US and I don't do betting looking at the bookie odds is interesting.

Peter Capaldi 4/17
    Idris Elba 47/11
    Daniel Rigby 126/17
    Andrew Scott 69/5
    Damien Molony 69/5
    John Hurt 28
    Aneurin Barnard 31
    Ben Daniels 31
    Ben Whishaw 47
    David Harewood 51
    Tom Ellis 51
    Daniel Radcliffe 70
    Rory Kinnear 70
    Benedict Cumberbatch 94
    David Tennant 94
    Hugh Laurie 94
    Miranda Hart 94
    Andrew Gower 142
    Anthony Head 142
    Bill Bailey 142
    Chiwetel Ejiofor 142
    Chris Addison 142
    Colin Morgan 142
    Colin Salmon 142
    Damian Lewis 142
    Dan Stevens 142
    Daniel Mays 142
    David Walliams 142
    Domhnall Gleeson 142
    James Corden 142
    Julian Bleach 142
    Julian Rhind-Tutt 142
    Martin Freeman 142
    Paterson Joseph 142
    Richard Armitage 142
    Rupert Grint 142
    Russell Tovey 142
    Stephen Mangan 142
    Tim Wright 142
    Tom Hiddleston 142
    Zawe Ashton 142
    Alex Jennings 237
    Billie Piper 237
    Helen Mirren 237
    Jennifer Saunders 237

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the update Gothic, sadly despite many attempts to explain it to me from friends and family, I still have no fucking idea what those odds mean I'm assuming Peter Capaldi has the best odds?

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    thanks for the update Gothic, sadly despite many attempts to explain it to me from friends and family, I still have no fucking idea what those odds mean I'm assuming Peter Capaldi has the best odds?
    England are playing Brazil in a game of football.

England are 4/1 to win.
    Brazil are 1/1 to win.

The first number is how many £ you will win for the amount you bet (second number)

So on England you will win £4 for every £1 you bet (4/1). Meaning if you bet £3 and England win you get your £3 back + £12 (4x3)

On Brazil you will win £1 for every £1 you bet. So if you bet £3 on Brazil and they win you get your £3 back + another £3 (3x1)

If you have something like 15/2 then every £2 you bet will give you £15. To work out what you get for £1 simply divide it by 2 (£7.50) then you can work out what your £3 bet gives you (£7.50 x3)

Hope that helped a little?

My Awesome Sig Made By Shyama - Thank You!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a terrible feeling that i'm going to prefer matt smith to the next doctor >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    What do you guys think?

Just teasing?

I think it's just a tease, I don't think he's the Doctor personally :s
    But immagine! Castiel as The Doctor! It would be awesome. Would be better if it was a supernatural/DW crossover though

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow this is like opening presents before Christmas and I really hope it isn't him now. Not that I would have wanted him in the first place.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    odds stuff.
    Sort off, I basically get all the stuff you explained, what stumps me is how the comparisons work...

So Capaldi is 4/17, so for every 17 you bet, you get 4 back (which seems pretty pointless to me...) which is roughly 0.23/1 then Idris Elba is 47/11 so for every 11 you bet, you get 47 back, so 4.2/1 which seems like a better option... yet people say Capaldi is the favourite...

Bleh, whatever I've made it this far in life without understanding betting...

That said, despite my previous assertions that I wouldn't want a black Doctor, I think Idris Elba would be pretty epic .

10+ Year Old Account
    Daniel Radcliffe 70
    If he's the next Doctor, I'm punching Moffat in the face. Good kid and all, but he's not Doctor material.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Misha Collins could be awesome, he plays castiel very well but that's all i've seen him as. Idris elba would be awesome as well, god damn i hope it's not a woman lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    basically if you give £1 on a bet (~$1.50) multiple it by the odds.

ie Peter Capaldi 4/17

(£1 * 4/17) = .23529411764, so your ticket would pay you your bet plus £.24 so the ticket would be worth £1.24, which you then have to pay taxes.

however the long shots Russell Tovey 142

(£1 * 142)= £142+1 for the bet £143, minus taxes. granted when you buy your ticket you can prepay the taxes, ie a £1 bet would be £1.10 with tax, that way winning has no additional taxes.

I agree with an unknown actor playing the Doctor. I wonder if Moffat is going for the younger actor approach or the older and well-established actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    If he's the next Doctor, I'm punching Moffat in the face. Good kid and all, but he's not Doctor material.
    I doubt it will happen, the sonic wand jokes would be too many.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jovian2 View Post
    I agree with an unknown actor playing the Doctor. I wonder if Moffat is going for the younger actor approach or the older and well-established actor.
    They've gone for not too big names the last three times, why change it now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Tbh, I hope they pick someone I've never heard of before. If they pick anyone already extremely famous I'll just think of it as <Name> playing the Doctor, rather than just being the Doctor.
    I'm pretty sure they make a point of going for lesser known actors for JUST this point. This is why I laugh when people suggest actors like Danielle Radcliffe, Rupert Grint or whoever is in the latest "big" movie. There is more chance of ME getting the role of The Doctor (personally I think I'd be great, but then again I am my biggest fan) than someone like Radcliffe or Grint.

I think no one above the fame level of Capaldi/Tovey would get the role, and tbh even that is pushing it, they've both been in VERY big shows within the last ~2 years, which would make them a little too fresh in the publics mind as that role.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit nervous to find out who it will be...there are so many possibilities, so many personalities the doctor can have :S

As a huge Old skool and new who fan i gotta say im very nervous about this new actor

But after the huge sucess of Matt Smith i believe Moffat knows what he is doing and i will trust his judgement

but if he chooses a fucking woman for the next doctor im gonna nerdrage

(I got nothing against woman its just there is absolutely no reason for it)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    They've gone for not too big names the last three times, why change it now?
    Not too big(Eccelston and Tennant((Arguably anyways))) and relatively unknown(Smith) are completely different. But yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    (I got nothing against woman its just there is absolutely no reason for it)
    There would be a reason and it would be arbitrary. I will also be pretty disappointed if it is a woman simply because it would feel forced and only written because people demanded it for the sake of being modern and politically correct. When in reality, it would be quite antithetical to the shows established history and the character.

No amount of saying, well one Time Lord did it that one time is going to make it any better.
    BAD WOLF