Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I liked the Clara's parents backstory part.

But the rest just seemed so off and disjointed, and it was so rushed it seemed fairly pointless.

Deleted
    A question I'd have: Has the Doctor lost those memories, or just shared them?

Also, there was an error in the show, The TARDIS allows it's passengers to understand and speak all the languages of the aliens they come in contact with, yet the scooter rental alien was barking at them and such

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Populaire View Post
    Well, today's episode was kinda.. disappointing.
    Yea, it had all the sentimentality of an RTD era episode without the shamelessness. Liam Cunningham and the return of an old enemy (wink, wink) in a submarine next week. They can't balls that one up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post

Also, there was an error in the show, The TARDIS allows it's passengers to understand and speak all the languages of the aliens they come in contact with, yet the scooter rental alien was barking at them and such

yeah i was also wondering that, it translated the little girl when she spoke (unless she was speaking english?) but not anyone else :S

not a great episode imo, one of matts worst so far. also, did the sonic screwdriver become magic this episode again?

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 12:49 AM ----------

im looking forward to the journey to the centre of the tardis episode this season, i liked the one where amy and rory got lost and trapped in the tardis.

Deleted
    It's quite hard to understand the negativity towards that episode. It had a slow start, sure. However, the ending was fantastic. One of my favourite episodes of Doctor Who for sure. After watching the lackluster season 6 with all that Riversong crap, I'm quite pleased with how season 7 is turning out.

Hmm, tonight's episode seemed kind of lackluster. I think this season's intent to create one-and-done episodes is creating some rushed storylines which could be otherwise fleshed out a lot better with an overarching storyline. I guess the identity of Clara is intended to be the "crack in the wall" of this season but I feel like her parents' backstory ruined a lot of the mystery. I did enjoy The Doctor tearfully explaining all that he has witnessed in his lifetime and how he is so sad and alone that he really doesn't want to remember anymore.

i enjoyed it. although i would love to see an episode like satans pit. throwing the doctor off his game is always fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post

I guess you have to consider the translation matrix actually has tangible limits. You dont see the companions interacting with dogs in full conversation and Rory and amy didnt understand infant River(assumung the doctor was actually conversing with infant River). The creatures in "The Doctor's Daughter" did not have translatable language and Martha genuinely struggled to understand their intentions.

Addressing tonight's episode. I'm actually quite satisfied with the role they pushed Clara into. A couple people on here talk about humanizing the Doctor and then forget that genuinely his character is alien. The Time Lords are portrayed in the new series as being a race that values knowledge. They know the past and they know the future. The Doctor has lived for so long that the question "what if?" doesnt really exist, especially when youve seen the ridiculous things hes seen, and gone to the beginning and the end. Clara is so brilliantly opposite, her character is in the modern incarnation is given the opportunity of asking the question "what if?", because she cant see the beginning and the end or even everything in the middle.

This is one of the few times you see this alien doctor lose some very emotionally powerful human qualities
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

The plot wasn't complex.

No huge mysteries.

Some plotholes.

Full of emotion.

This was, in my opinion, a class Doctor Who episode.

The sheer character development for Clara and the Doctor was just fantastic.

The Matt smith's speech against the Parasite God had me tearing up near the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    The Matt smith's speech against the Parasite God had me tearing up near the end.
    True Matt's speach was epic, but other than that I thougth it was a fairly myeh episode. As so often happens with the Smith's episodes, this one seemed like it would have been alot better as a two parter.

I also thought they played the leaf a bit too early, would have been better to leave it a bit, so that we'd almost forgotten it, then drop the bomb as see our reactions.

Next week looks pretty myeh as well, even if they DO have Davos in it

p.s: Did the Doctor say he'd been to that planet before.... with his Granddaughter?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    p.s: Did the Doctor say he'd been to that planet before.... with his Granddaughter?
    Yes, the doctor has a granddaughter, have you never seen classic who? The first doctors very first companion was his granddaughter. It's been established that before the doctor ran away from whatever for whatever reason he had a family back on Gallifrey.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    True Matt's speach was epic, but other than that I thougth it was a fairly myeh episode. As so often happens with the Smith's episodes, this one seemed like it would have been alot better as a two parter.

I also thought they played the leaf a bit too early, would have been better to leave it a bit, so that we'd almost forgotten it, then drop the bomb as see our reactions.

Next week looks pretty myeh as well, even if they DO have Davos in it

Yes he did, which would of been the 1st Doctor.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I liked the subtle stab at religion in the episode, and it did a lot to develop Clara's character and showed the tragic side of the Doctor which I always like. It was a little heavy on Deus Ex even for an episode of Who though, when did the sonic screwdriver become a magic wand ala Harry Potter?
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-04-07 at 11:30 AM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    I liked the subtle stab at religion in the episode, and it did a lot to develop Clara's character and showed the tragic side of the Doctor which I always like. It was a little heavy on Deus Ex even for an episode of Who though, when did the sonic screwdriver become a magic wand ala Harry Potter?
    Well I think it made sense in this episode since those things that were screaming the blue energy whatnot at them (which kind of remind me of the Silence) seemed to emit the same energy as would come out of the sonic screwdriver. The other times, I don't know lol But this time the screwdriver using the sonic energy against an opposing force of sonic energy seemed feasible... sort of... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Prob one of my worst episodes for me since matt smith joined unfortunately

The old god was rather a let down, It was a nice touch the monster just being an alarm clock and waking up the proper god..but it was rather a lame villain it didn't say anything, no evil plans, no soul sucky drainyness of evil other than attacking a leaf... it completely drained the doctor yet he was perfectly fine after -.-

The other 3 guys trying to sacrifice the queen were more scary than the giant halloween pumpkin of a planet but kind off reminded me of the silence (maybe a connection?) :S Also the amount of singing made it way too theatrical for my liking best part was prob her parents meeting and the doctor trying to do kung fu on them :S

Also i had a terrible feeling it was going to be the devil again lol :P Also.2 the tardis doesn't like Clara? :P
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-04-07 at 03:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I did like this week's episode, something was just off about it, until I rewatched it. Then it hit me, the pacing just felt like it was originally filmed or written as a two parter, only to be condensed into a 40-50 min episode. Felt rushed, the ending while not quite a Dues Ex, was still quite pulled from air, with just a tiny bit of set up.

Also hit for future! The TARDIS doesn't like Clara!

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that bugs me and really don't get. That asteroid system was orbiting the parasite yeah? So how do they all survive when the object that created the gravitational field is gone?
    Last edited by Byrogan; 2013-04-07 at 04:29 PM.

i dont think you need to put spoilers for an episode that already aired

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    i dont think you need to put spoilers for an episode that already aired
    Very wrong assumption. This thread is not labeled as containing spoilers and some people don't watch it the second it airs. I just finished watching it now and the spoiler tags are appropriate manners.

I felt they wasted such an amazing performance and writing of the Doctor's speech to have it be worthless. I completely get it, and the need to develop Clara, but it didn't sit well with me.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Prob one of my worst episodes for me since matt smith joined unfortunately

The old god was rather a let down, It was a nice touch the monster just being an alarm clock and waking up the proper god..but it was rather a lame villain it didn't say anything, no evil plans, no soul sucky drainyness of evil other than attacking a leaf... it completely drained the doctor yet he was perfectly fine after -.-

The other 3 guys trying to sacrifice the queen were more scary than the giant halloween pumpkin of a planet but kind off reminded me of the silence (maybe a connection?) :S Also the amount of singing made it way too theatrical for my liking best part was prob her parents meeting and the doctor trying to do kung fu on them :S

Also i had a terrible feeling it was going to be the devil again lol :P Also.2 the tardis doesn't like Clara? :P
    So you basically want a corny villain? This one was not bad, he was old so maybe he had some limits, like not speaking.

This episode was not bad, was not my favorite but I enjoyed it.

I wonder if the tardis not liking clara is going to come up again....
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose