Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently the Christmas special WASN’T cancelled... it was just moved to new year’s day. Not the best option, but at least we’re getting one!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Apparently the Christmas special WASN’T cancelled... it was just moved to new year’s day. Not the best option, but at least we’re getting one!
    I was on a "Forum Vacation" and was waiting to reply saying exactly this. So, thanks for beating me to the punch. ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    I was on a "Forum Vacation" and was waiting to reply saying exactly this. So, thanks for beating me to the punch. ;p
    I figure, since it was me that bummed everyone out, saying there wasn’t a special this year. It was my duty to research and verify. Glad to be wrong, though!

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I have been trying to get through some 5th doctor episodes, and a recurrent issue I am running into is that, compared to any prior doctor (or Colin Baker), he has very little presence in most scenes he is in.

I can try to put one of the other classic doctors in a given scene he is in (in my mind), and all of them seem to make more of an impression no matter how they varied in character and delivery.

Some reviewers have suggested the actor was simply too young to pull off the presence needed as a lead role where his character's personality was a defining part of the show.

Any thoughts on Peter Davison's episodes? Has there been discussion by those involved over how much leeway he was given with the role, how much JNT or others micromanaged, etc?
    That was by design. 4 was such a dominating screen presence that the decision was made to subvert audience expectations and make 5 a guy that was reserved, that blended in, and just a more normal chap.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Doctor Who is garbage now

Quote Originally Posted by Borgmore View Post
    Doctor Who is garbage now
    Would you like to explain why so people can have a discussion about it?

Mismanaged plot trying to do too much, extremely boring setting, embarrassing enemies and my god the acting is just atrocious.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I've no real problem with the acting except Ryan. Every British person I know seems to have this weird hangup on the old dude, was he in some other show people hate him in? Cause as an American, he seems fine to me.

Also, I find it weird the Indian girl is named Mandip in real life, which is normally a male name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    That was by design. 4 was such a dominating screen presence that the decision was made to subvert audience expectations and make 5 a guy that was reserved, that blended in, and just a more normal chap.
    In addition, they cleverly added a companion trio (and later trolough?) which routinely tried to betray him or steal his tardis, to say nothing of constant bickering. someone in an office thought interpersonal drama/distrust/tension between companions/doctor was a needed element?

Well, they seem to have gotten exactly what they aimed for?

I guess the 'blend in' element went as far as clothes that just sort-of blended in apart from being a silly uniform.

I have tried to imagine what colin's doctor would have come across as in responsible clothes (=anything worn by 1-4, for example).
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-11-16 at 01:59 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've no real problem with the acting except Ryan. Every British person I know seems to have this weird hangup on the old dude, was he in some other show people hate him in? Cause as an American, he seems fine to me.
    His name is Bradley Walsh, he’s been in English TV for years, mostly as either a comedy actor, or a game show host. Most people associate him with comedic roles, so it’s odd to see him acting seriously.

As such, people are either put off by it, or pleasantly surprised.

In addition, they cleverly added a companion trio (and later trolough?) which routinely tried to betray him or steal his tardis, to say nothing of constant bickering. someone in an office thought interpersonal drama/distrust/tension between companions/doctor was a needed element?.
    They were overtly going for a drama series approach. Black Orchid for example was sheer drama.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

My prognostication came true, the viewership is collapsing, it was inevitable. Get woke go broke. The sjws that flocked to watch the first few episodes were never going to stick around. The majority of sci fi Dr Who fans are left to lament what there once was and to try and find something else worth watching. Given that sjws are determined to destroy everything that were typically male interests and pass times, the future looks bleak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    My prognostication came true, the viewership is collapsing, it was inevitable. Get woke go broke. The sjws that flocked to watch the first few episodes were never going to stick around. The majority of sci fi Dr Who fans are left to lament what there once was and to try and find something else worth watching. Given that sjws are determined to destroy everything that were typically male interests and pass times, the future looks bleak.
    I love the cast, hate the writing. Still watching it though, although I'm a couple episodes behind.

Nothing that's wrong with Doctor Who right now has anything to do with any of this trite nonsense you're spouting.

It more has to do with: 1) too much of a focus on adventure as opposed to exploration/discovery/philosophical grandstanding, 2) too many companions splitting the story into needless side arcs, and 3) too much of a reliance on rushed exposition.

All three of those factors are tied together. Your fears about the Doctor going on a feminist rant every episode are very noticeably absent.

Also, I'm not sure you can support that the viewership is dropping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    They were overtly going for a drama series approach. Black Orchid for example was sheer drama.
    I wonder if I will ever see it. I find I need to take the Davison episodes 22 minutes at a time.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

In fact, here's what I can find with one simple Google search:

Jodie's debut, 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth', attracted a consolidated total of 10.53 million on television (achieving a total of 10.95m if you include laptops, smartphones, etc).

As a side note, in an era of otherwise diminishing viewing figures, it turned out to be the biggest launch ever.

However, come ep five, the catchily-titled 'The Tsuranga Conundrum', we find there's now 7.76m watching on television (consolidated). As you can see, this means that just under 3 million viewers have stopped keeping up to date with the adventures of the Gallifreyan (for the moment, at least).

But let's give this some context.

A very similar thing – if not exactly the same – happened with Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor in 2005: he kicked off with 10.91 million but saw viewership drop by 4 million during his run with Billie Piper's Rose.

And it's the same story for Jodie's other predecessors: both Tennant's first and third series saw dips of around 3 million during their airings; over 3.5 million fell away for Matt Smith's 2010 episodes (his opening year in the TARDIS); and Peter Capaldi witnessed a 2.5 million drop in his freshman year.

As you can see, season dips are not new. In fact, they're overwhelmingly commonplace for Doctor Who and always expected.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Nothing that's wrong with Doctor Who right now has anything to do with any of this trite nonsense you're spouting.

It more has to do with: 1) too much of a focus on adventure as opposed to exploration/discovery/philosophical grandstanding, 2) too many companions splitting the story into needless side arcs, and 3) too much of a reliance on rushed exposition.

All three of those factors are tied together. Your fears about the Doctor going on a feminist rant every episode are very noticeably absent.

Also, I'm not sure you can support that the viewership is dropping.
    But you knew the change in philosophy at teh beginning. They said they wanted to the new Dr Who to be more educational, more preachy. It is very much a feminist agenda, it's very much a sjw agenda. Where are the Darleks? the cybermen? I haven't watched this progressive drivel, but from what I have read pretty much all the baddies are human, and male no doubt. Apparently, there was an episode where a man got pregnant ffs.

And a quick google search will tell you about the drop in viewers. Losing a million a week is quite a feat.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...2-million.html

I can't get into the new doc, i've tried. But even capaldi was meh for me. Tenant and Smith raised the bar so high, but everyone fails to meet it

I wonder if I will ever see it. I find I need to take the Davison episodes 22 minutes at a time.
    Fun fact: Peter Davison was a popular young actor before becoming 5. He starred in the very popular "All Creatures Great and Small" as a young, college-aged womanizing, boozing veterinarian. Peter was rather typecast as a bad boy entering the role of 5, which skews how people viewed him during his run. Without that context, 5 seems a lot weaker. Peter was by FAR the most well-known actor to ever take the role in the classic era. I'd say only Capaldi was a bigger star prior to his run thanks to The Thick of It.

But you knew the change in philosophy at teh beginning. They said they wanted to the new Dr Who to be more educational, more preachy. It is very much a feminist agenda, it's very much a sjw agenda. Where are the Darleks? the cybermen? I haven't watched this progressive drivel, but from what I have read pretty much all the baddies are human, and male no doubt. Apparently, there was an episode where a man got pregnant ffs.

And a quick google search will tell you about the drop in viewers. Losing a million a week is quite a feat.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...2-million.html

How can we even discuss your views on something that you haven't watched? A good rule of thumb is to not complain about a movie/show that you only know about through the lens of other people's opinions.

I really feel like you don't watch the show in general if you think "a man getting pregnant" is over the top in Doctor Who.