Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

[TV] Disney+ Star Wars: The Acolyte

Star Wars series that takes viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.

Creator: Leslye Headland (personal assistant of harvey weinstein)
    Stars: Amandla Stenberg, Dafne Keen, Jodie Turner-Smith

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12262202/

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently the trailer is tomorrow n show comes out June 4th

Can't wait. I'm sure it will be absolute excellence.

5+ Year Old Account
    Looks lame

Like some fan fiction with bigger budget

- - - Updated - - -

Reminds me of

so edgy

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Star Wars series that takes viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.

Creator: Leslye Headland (personal assistant of harvey weinstein)
    Stars: Amandla Stenberg, Dafne Keen, Jodie Turner-Smith

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12262202/

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently the trailer is tomorrow n show comes out June 4th

Any reason you added the Harvey weinstein bs to a movie that has nothing to do with him? If I didn't know better I would assume you were trying to tie him to disney.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Looks like it has potential, but I am not sure about it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Any reason you added the Harvey weinstein bs to a movie that has nothing to do with him? If I didn't know better I would assume you were trying to tie him to disney.
    Most people don't know who she is, people should know especially cuz she has her paws on a star wars project

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people don't know who she is, people should know especially cuz she has her paws on a star wars project
    Most people don't know any of the names you put on there.

Wouldn't it have been easier and more honest to just link her imdb?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2853516/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

What you said tells me nothing about her. It just tells me you are trying to taint her reputation with his.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Haven’t been keeping up with news about this guy the trailer looks decent and hopefully we can get some more expanding on the rule of 2 and Darth bane and a Sith taking down multiple Jedi which the live action stuff is desperately missing.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Most people don't know any of the names you put on there.

Wouldn't it have been easier and more honest to just link her imdb?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2853516/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

What you said tells me nothing about her. It just tells me you are trying to taint her reputation with his.
    I am not making up her past, it IS her past. So don't go n get all flustered about it

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not making up her past, it IS her past. So don't go n get all flustered about it
    did I accuse you of making anything up? No.

I'm accusing you of trying to taint the well. You seem to want other people to dislike her from the start.

Lets tell everyone the whole truth shall we?

So yeah she was his assistant for a year. which from what I can read was sometime between 2002 to 2008. Accusations about him didn't come out until after she worked from him. She is just 1 of 100's of people that worked with/for him over the years.

5+ Year Old Account
    People who worked with him, knew the rumors, she continued for a year, not quitting, if u want to continue defend her, plz do go on

Great, can't wait for another show to go "let's look at a VILLAIN character!" and then immediately turn it around to "...who's actually still just kind of a hero anyway just misunderstood and held down".

Vomit.

Yeah, this'll do WELL I'm sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who worked with him, knew the rumors, she continued for a year, not quitting, if u want to continue defend her, plz do go on
    Oh noes, a person had a job they didn't leave immediately to make their life harder for moral grounds.

Dude, it isn't defending her. Joe is saying you literally have nothing.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    While it is well known that starwars is basically a samurai space opera, the armor is a little on the nose.

All in all though, this is what i've wanted. A story that is so distant from the established characters, it won't be more fluff shoved into a story that was already told.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Great, can't wait for another show to go "let's look at a VILLAIN character!" and then immediately turn it around to "...who's actually still just kind of a hero anyway just misunderstood and held down".

Vomit.

It is Star Wars and people misunderstand Vader's redemption and everyone wants to mimic it without doing the work.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It is Star Wars and people misunderstand Vader's redemption and everyone wants to mimic it without doing the work.
    And even then, it's "this one character in the original movies was like that SO WE HAVE TO DO THIS FOREVER IN THIS FRANCHISE UNTIL THE END OF TIME" which is just, like... the entire problem plaguing Star Wars in some form or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you got proof of something I'm all ears. Til then I'm not defending anything. There are no accusations.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you set out to intentionally poison the well, got called out on it, and are now salty about being caught at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

Vomit.

The worst villains are villains because they're just EEEEVIL. That's shit for a child's story. Any good villain has reasons for their actions, even if those reasons may be twisted or irrational.

A good villain is always, in their mind, the hero of their own story. If you're just having your villain kick puppies because they're EDGY and BAD, you're not a good writer, and you're not actually giving your villain a proper motivation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I will agree that Star Wars needs to be more than redemption stories.

I'll cite Avatar: the Last Airbender here. Sure, you've got your Zuko redemption arc. But that arc starts moving early-mid Season 1. It's not a heel-turn near the end out of nowhere. You start the character in a bad place, show they have good qualities despite that, and keep iterating as they try and be better than they started out, or making up for the harms they did.

But you've also got Azula. Who never gets better, and the final battle with her is played up in the cartoon as a tragedy. Tragic that she's been brought this low, and can't save herself. It's contrasted directly against Zuko, who he's fighting, because his entire arc has been climbing out of that hole she's in. Azula's arc is just as valid as Zuko's. And then there's Ozai, who gets no redemption and deserves no redemption but definitely has justification for his actions; he ALMOST conquered the world and put his nation in a position of power forever. That may be brutally oppressive, but it's a plan that has a goal that's comprehensible. And he pursues it to the last, even to trying to murder a 12 year old in hand-to-hand combat.

Redemption's overwrought, and stop writing characters into a fall and then writing them out of that fall. Just start them at the low point. This was the mistake they made with Vader. Vader in 4-6 is fine. Anakin in Ep 1 and most of the Clone Wars is fine. They failed to make the transition from one to the other reasonable. And if you can't give them solid reasons for the fall, redemption shouldn't be on the table. I'm fine with Vader's final act, but it shouldn't have redeemed him as completely as they mostly pretended it had. I prefer the post-death version we got in Ahsoka; he's both the best of Anakin and the worst of Vader. Vader's still in there. It comes off more as an integration of the two sides rather than Vader turning back into Anakin, and that's not really redemption, IMO.

I wouldn't mind a "they're Sith, but they're not wrong" take, either, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The worst villains are villains because they're just EEEEVIL. That's shit for a child's story. Any good villain has reasons for their actions, even if those reasons may be twisted or irrational.
    I agree. But that's not the same as being a hero in disguise. Comically evil is just as bad, but so is the idea of villains that are actually just heroes. Same with supposed "anti-heroes" when they are really just regular heroes except they say mean and snarky things sometimes. That's not good writing.

A good villain is always, in their mind, the hero of their own story.
    Disagree HARD on that one. There are villains like that and it can work, but a lot of the time that's part of the comically evil trope, too. Far more interesting are villains who know they're villains but are okay with it, because they think their reasons are good enough. Which is not the same thing at all as them thinking they're really heroes - in fact that's a reductive simplification that borders the comical, because you'd have to be quite the narcissist indeed to think that your terrible deeds (justified though they may be) are actually heroic.

If you're just having your villain kick puppies because they're EDGY and BAD, you're not a good writer, and you're not actually giving your villain a proper motivation.
    I agree. But the answer to one extreme isn't ANOTHER extreme. And me saying "I don't like villains that are really just heroes" doesn't translate to "I want villains that are just cackling maniacs who kick puppies for fun because they're EEEVVVVULLLL".

10+ Year Old Account

A good villain is always, in their mind, the hero of their own story. If you're just having your villain kick puppies because they're EDGY and BAD, you're not a good writer, and you're not actually giving your villain a proper motivation.
    Star Wars is a kid's property, Endus. Palpatine chooses to achieve his goals in a way that causes bloodshed and destruction. He could have any other ways to achieve what he wanted. Palpatine is essentially evil for evil sake. And you literally have a side of the Force that in most media for Star Wars is labeled as the Evil Side.

Also, there is a difference between giving the bad guy a reason they do what they do (see Palpatine for power, Maul for revenge, etc) and that character being a good person just misunderstood. Neither Palpatine nor Maul is a good person deep down who was misunderstood and held back, they are evil; but you can understand their motives. Maul's entire arc is about revenge. First revenge for the Sith and then personal revenge. But, he outright rejects Obi-wan's attempts to redeem him and is never redeemed to the light side.
    –The Sith Code