Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

So, is McGann considered non-canon?? That's too bad, I actually did like his 2 hours of Doctor time.

Also, I finished my door if anyone is interested;

Epic!
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    that door is fucking awesome. that is all.

Just started watching the 2005 reboot about 2 weeks ago and just got done with Season 1. Pretty damn good show, didn't think I would like it as much.

But, dear god do I hate the voices of the Dalek's. Drives me crazy and they won't get out of my head!! EXTERMINATE!

P.S. That door is indeed fucking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeiblu View Post
    But, dear god do I hate the voices of the Dalek's. Drives me crazy and they won't get out of my head!! EXTERMINATE!
    Well...don't let the next hundred episodes ruin the fun. You are going to become fairly familiar with those voices over time.
    BAD WOLF

DELETE is worse, trust me.After DELETE I fell in love with Daleks
    My Little Borg: Friendship is Irrelevant

In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    to be truthful saying 'I love you' in German is just as scary as Daleks saying "Exterminieren".

oh "Das Tür ist verdammt fantastisch"

Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    So, is McGann considered non-canon?? That's too bad, I actually did like his 2 hours of Doctor time.
    McGann is canon. Else they would not showed him multiple times in the new series (The Next Doctor christmas special from that Dalek memory stick the Cybermen had, The 11th Hour when calling back that eye spaceship thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark
    But Both Moffet and RTD have made it clear that the TV Movie is non-canon, but McGann was the 8th.
    Can we have a source for that? Because I have never heard RTD or Moffat state that the movie is non-canon. Only that they might retcon parts of the movie (like the half-human part).
    Last edited by dirk123; 2013-07-11 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk123 View Post
    Can we have a source for that? Because I have never heard RTD or Moffat state that the movie is non-canon. Only that they might retcon parts of the movie (like the half-human part).
    You are referring to the same thing I was, They basically said the TV movie wasn't cannon, but McGann was the 8th, and the 7th regenerated in San Fransisco. So the basic story and ideas from the movie are cannon, but the details are not. Such as the whole 1/2 human bit.

The Dalek voice is something that I think is lost on the new generation of Dr Who fans. In the olden days, Daleks were truly scary, and that voice still sends a shiver up my spine. Unfortunately (if you are a Star Trek fan) the Daleks have suffered the same fate that the Bork did in Voyager. They tried to weave them in as the ultimate baddie from time to time, but they defeat them too often to really make you that worried by them.

(careful of spoilers)

The first couple of times you see the Daleks in New Who, the effect is better, the Dalek they find in the museum collection is great, because you know if it breaks free, it will solo kill everything on earth. But later on in the series (or perhaps next series) when 1000's of them do battle with the cybermen, then the effect is lost in a flare of trying to out-do themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    You are referring to the same thing I was, They basically said the TV movie wasn't cannon, but McGann was the 8th, and the 7th regenerated in San Fransisco. So the basic story and ideas from the movie are cannon, but the details are not. Such as the whole 1/2 human bit.
    Yet again you say the entire movie isnt canon, while contradicting yourself 1 sentence later by saying only certain details aren't canon.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk123 View Post
    Yet again you say the entire movie isnt canon, while contradicting yourself 1 sentence later by saying only certain details aren't canon.
    And the current people in control of Doctor Who have that stance, it means they can do what they want and invalidate what they want when they want. They like McGann they didn't like the TV movie. Take it how you want, think of it as contradictory, but the reality is they liked his performance but didn't like any thing else in it.

Strangely because McGann did so much radio drama as the Doctor he actually has the most stories and fiction, non of which is cannon for the show unless the writers or producers use something from it.

Basically like every other TV Sci-Fi if it is in the Primary TV it is canon, if it comes from Movies, or secondary productions it is sometimes canon, if it comes from audio, books, comics, it is only canon if the Writers include it in the primary source.

ie Star Trek, the Origanal Series is Canon, TNG is canon, the spin off shows are canon, the TOS:Movies mostly Canon, TNG: Movies Mostly Canon, the Animated TV show, semi-canon (TNG used a few ideas), the books and comics mostly not canon, although some ideas did make it in to the show. The New Movies, not canon to TNG, has it's own Canon source.

The same is true with Doctor Who, Star Wars, Battle Star Galactica, Stargate, and many other Sci-Fi programs and movies.

I saw the Dr who movie and i must say i thought Paul Mcgann was great in it but what killed it was it was fucking boring, Eric Roberts was chewing on the scenery so bad i thought he must have thought he was doing panto and the biggest insult was the fact he said he was half human on his mothers side i swear i nearly kicked the TV in when he said that!

but i do understand now why they put that in you have to remember this reboot was not intended for British audiences they knew it would be a hit in Britain and it was. This was intended for American audiences who were not familiar with Dr who and prolly wondered why a alien looks like a human and speaks perfect English.

Well it flopped badly in the USA so any chance of it being a back door pilot failed with it

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    but what killed it was it was
    The interior of the TARDIS.
    BAD WOLF

Whispers that the new Doctor is being revealed tonight?? :O
    http://sfcrowsnest.org.uk/exclusive-...-hall-tonight/

Argh I don't want to wait. I assume that's 9:45 UK time, so that should be in a couple hours right?

Also, I finished my door if anyone is interested;
    Nicely done

*snip*
    this...can't be real.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    this...can't be real.
    *shrug* It talks about being broadcast on the BBC radio, so unless someone got some bad info... I'm just relaying what I see

I don't see why it can't be real, they need to start filming soon and it's going to be hard to keep it secret once they start filming.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Strangely because McGann did so much radio drama as the Doctor he actually has the most stories and fiction, non of which is cannon for the show unless the writers or producers use something from it.
    Except that both RTD and Moffat have said that Doctor Who doesn't really have a "canon". Even BBC won't say what is canon and what is not.

The producer for the television series from 2005 to 2009, Russell T Davies, has claimed that he's "just the writer...I've got no more authority over the text than you!",saying "(Canon) is a word which has never been used in the production office, not once, not ever". He also said that considering the Doctor Who audio plays as being uncanonical is both "boring and idiotic".
    Davies' successor, Steven Moffat declared at a convention in 2008 that, "It is impossible for a show about a dimension-hopping time traveller to have a canon."