Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Wow, I do not understand you people. I've been waiting weeks since the leaks to be able to share on here jhow awesome the Time Heist episode was, and y'all are trying to kill my buzz.

This is the absolute best single episode Capaldi has done so far. It nails everything that a Doctor Who episode needs. The Doctor taking control of a mission, interesting companions, a legitimate threat, a mystery for the audience to solve, and the Doctor's self-hatred reveal. This episode is perfect, 10/10. I wish every Who episode was as brilliant as this one. I hope that Cy comes back because he was cool.

Looks like next week is another Clara episode... ugh. Anything to get Danny Pink closer to taking over as the companion, though.I'm curious to see Capaldi's version of the John Smith character.

Deleted
    I'd have to say this probably my least favourite episode so far. Not to say it was bad, just that it was the least good. The episode completely failed to convey that this was the most secure bank in the Universe. Even if with help from the "architect" the heist should have been a lot more difficult. If the writers where unable to convey the most dangerous bank in the universe, why make it that? Just say it's a bank. There's no point heightening the excitement if you can't deliver.

The Doctor, despite taking centre stage, didn't really seem to do much - on screen that is. Obviously he was the architect so he was responsible for the entire episode but on screen most of what he does until the end is explain each new mystery to the audience as it unfolds. The other characters where somewhat lacking. There's just so little time to develop characters in a single episode that it's really hard to make them compelling.

Also, the ending with the monster really just trying to get back to it's love? Totally recycled from Hide. Come on Moffat you can do better than that. Otherwise a fun episode and that's really all there is to say about it. A good concept, great performances from Capaldi and Keeley Hawes, and all around just some fun fluff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems this was a fairly devisive episode :P, my friends can't agree if it was the best or worst episode yet!

Personally I'm leaning closer to best one yet. It didn't have the impact that Listen had, but it also made FAR more sense, which is always good. I like the Teller, I think we'll be seeing more of that character in the future, I liked the 'Architect' reveal and I thought Psi had a lot of 'returning charater' potential. Not quite Companion material, but I'd be willing to bet money he'll crop up at least once more during Capaldi's run.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    If she replicates the appearance of whoever she touches by DNA... How does she replicate the clothes? Are our outfits hardwired in our cells?
    She answered that in the actual episode, the Doctor immediately asked that question and she said she's wearing a hologram costume thingy to replicate the clothes.

Time Heist was pretty bad. I didn't care about the characters at all.

I find myself not caring about Danny Pink either. They are really struggling this season to write interesting characters. I can't think of one I'm interested in seeing again. Listen has been the best episode of series 8, but I think that's got a lot to do with the minimal cast. I was bored with Pink in Listen, but the parts where he wasn't involved were good.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the interesting characters and boring/anonying characters Moffat has created since he took over the show:

Series 5 interesting characters:

The Eleventh Doctor
    Amy Pond
    The Dream Lord

Series 5 boring / annoying characters:

Prisoner Zero (boring)
    Queen of England in the 51st century (boring)
    Winston Churchhill (boring)
    Rory Williams (boring)
    Restac / Vastra (boring)
    River Song (annoying)
    Craig Owens (annoying)

Series 6 Interesting characters:

Kazran Sardick
    Dorium

Series 6 boring / annoying characters:

Madame Kavorian (annoying)
    Canton Everett Delaware (boring)
    Idris (boring)
    the Gangers (boring)
    Mels (annoying)

Series 7 interesting characters:

Madge Arwell
    Oswin Oswald
    Kate Stewart
    Grand Marshall Skaldak
    Emma Grayling
    Alec Palmer
    the Cyber-Planner
    the Eighth Doctor
    Cass
    Ohila
    Handles

Series 7 annoying / boring characters

big-game hunter John Riddell (annoying)
    Jex (boring)
    the Great Intelligence (boring)
    Clara Oswald (boring)
    Miss Kizlet (annoying)
    Hila Tukurian (boring)
    the Van Baalen brothers (annoying)
    Jenny (annoying)
    Strax (annoying)
    Mrs. Gillyflower (annoying)
    Porridge (annoying)
    the War Doctor (boring)
    Tasha Lem (annoying)

Series 8 Interesting Characters:

The Twelfth Doctor

Series 8 annoying / boring characters

Half-face man-robot in London (annoying)
    Missy (HIGHLY annoying)
    Journey Blue (boring)
    Danny Pink (boring)
    Rusty the damaged Dalek (boring)
    Robin Hood (boring)
    the Sheriff of Nottingham (boring)
    Maid Marian (boring)
    the Teller (boring)
    Karabraxos (annoying)
    Saibra (boring)
    Psi (boring)

###############

Looking back through it all, I think Emma Grayling and Alec Palmer could make outstanding companions for the Twelfth Doctor. They are intelligent, grounded, and calm. That makes them great potential foils for a cranky Twelfth Doctor.

###############

By the way, after doing this list, if anyone EVER asked you if Matt Smith is a good actor, immediately point out the work he did with Handles. Handles is basically a PROP. Its an inanimate object that speaks unemotional lines. Matt Smith is such a good actor that he made you CARE about the prop as if it was a human being. That's a VERY difficult thing for an actor to pull off and Matt Smith NAILED it.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2014-09-21 at 03:51 PM.

Better than Into the Dalek, but I liked Robot of Sherwood more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    She answered that in the actual episode, the Doctor immediately asked that question and she said she's wearing a hologram costume thingy to replicate the clothes.
    The hologram projector does the projecting, but how does a sample of someone's DNA give it the necessary information?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    The hologram projector does the projecting, but how does a sample of someone's DNA give it the necessary information?

Think you're splitting hairs, just a tiny bit.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Heist was the first episode of the new series that I actually liked. Mainly because it had nothing to do with Pink, but also because it felt like The Doctor was being "The Doctor" again. You could argue that he was with "Into Dalek," but it didn't set well with me. Lastly, I enjoyed it because I wasn't slapped across the face with Moffat's heavy handed writing. But, based on the preview, I can already tell I'm NOT going to like the next episode.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    The three times we saw her shapeshift, two of them (Clara and the guard) the clothes were right in front of her. The third one (the bank patron) the Doctor had his picture up on the screen, and met him, so he (or she) might've gotten the image for his outfit from that meeting before the memory wipe. Or maybe she just had it project a generic pinstripe suit, and they didn't bother to have the actor change suits between his 'flashback' scenes and his 'shapeshifted mutant impersonator' scenes.

pretty fantastic ratings this season

Last night’s episode was watched by 4.93 million (a 23.8% audience share) viewers in the UK on BBC1, according to early overnight viewing figures.

The overnight figures are early estimates and we can expect a sizeable increase when the final BARB figures are released next week. The overnight figures only include those who watched it live and those who recorded and watched it later that night, however the final figures includes those who recorded and watched within a week, making them a more accurate measure of how many were watching.

The 2014 ratings so far:

Deep Breath 6.8m (overnight) 9.17m (final) 10.76m (L+7) AI 82
    Into the Dalek 5.2m (overnight) 7.29m (final) AI 84
    Robot of Sherwood 5.2m (overnight) 7.28m (final) AI 82
    Listen 4.8m (overnight) 7.01m (final) AI 82
    Time Heist 4.93m (overnight) TBC (final) AI TBC

(iPlayer figures are not included in the ‘final’ figure)
    (Live Plus 7 (L+7) counts those who watched live and all repeats, including iPlayer, within seven days following broadcast.)
    (The Audience Appreciation Index (AI) is a score out of 100 which is used as an indicator of the public’s appreciation for a show.)

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-...ator-66394.htm

- - - Updated - - -

the doctor is now an official member of the ghostbusters

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

the doctor is now an official member of the ghostbusters

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByItQ4iCMAAvlyi.jpg IMG]
    Somewhere, somehow, he caused the Ghostbusters to exist in the first place.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Somewhere, somehow, he caused the Ghostbusters to exist in the first place.
    Nope. That was Clara too.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    It doesn't matter how blurry it is. It's not about the distinct features, it's about the shape of the head which doesn't fit with a human head (and therefore can't be a mask either).
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Is that just a mask? It looks like prosthetics to me. And aside from the ridges it fits the shape of a human head fine. It's just a human head with bits tacked on, the core shape is no different. For the creature in Listen to be a kid playing a prank, it'd have to be a kid wearing full prosthetics which aren't even part of the prank (as they never show Rupert their face).

10+ Year Old Account
    Time Heist didnt live up to the hype. was expecting more.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Time Heist didnt live up to the hype. was expecting more.
    I thought it was the perfect Doctor Who episode. What else would you want?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I thought it was the perfect Doctor Who episode. What else would you want?
    For me its main issues where the bank being talked up as much more impenetrable than it actually was, the lack of development for Psy and Saibre and the recycled ending from Hide.

I liked Psy and Saibre, thought they were good side-characters, I enjoyed the memory wipe trickery, and the Doctor got to take charge from his control-freak.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I liked Psy and Saibre, thought they were good side-characters, I enjoyed the memory wipe trickery, and the Doctor got to take charge from his control-freak.
    I liked them well enough, I just thought they were a little bit underdeveloped. They were more built around their powers rather than having fleshed out personalities.