Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

The whole episode felt a bit rushed.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    The whole episode felt a bit rushed.
    I demand a return of the two parters!

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    For me its main issues where the bank being talked up as much more impenetrable than it actually was
    That's kinda the trademark of all heist movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I demand a return of the two parters!
    Fuck yeah. I would be MORE than happy with 12 episodes a season if we got 6 two-parters with freaking EPIC, well developed stories.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

For me its main issues where the bank being talked up as much more impenetrable than it actually was, the lack of development for Psy and Saibre and the recycled ending from Hide.
    i dont really see how you can say the endings were recycled.

in hide it was a time traveler that got stuck between dimensions who was turned into a monster trying to get back to his girlfriend.

in time heist its an alien being blackmailed against his will under threat of extinction to his species.

the only thing similar at all is that they both have girlfriends. the alien wasnt trying to find his mate, he was just being blackmailed
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont really see how you can say the endings were recycled.

in hide it was a time traveler that got stuck between dimensions who was turned into a monster trying to get back to his girlfriend.

in time heist its an alien being blackmailed against his will under threat of extinction to his species.

the only thing similar at all is that they both have girlfriends. the alien wasnt trying to find his mate, he was just being blackmailed
    The core concept was pretty much the same though - "monster isn't actually as monstrous as we thought, it just wants to reunite with it's girlfriend." It immediately made me think of Hide. Admittedly it was dressed up in an original enough way, so it wasn't too bad, but it still struck me as a bit lazy.

Thought Time Heist was pretty poor, I was expecting so much better. Complete fluff episode, endless outrageous ways out of situations, no emotional connection to anything or anyone and a premise so lacking I almost switched it off.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

15+ Year Old Account
    The core concept was pretty much the same though - "monster isn't actually as monstrous as we thought, it just wants to reunite with it's girlfriend." It immediately made me think of Hide. Admittedly it was dressed up in an original enough way, so it wasn't too bad, but it still struck me as a bit lazy.
    Was the "monster" ever monstrous ? IIRC, the very first time we see it they clearly say he's being controlled forcefully. I never saw it as a "monster" but as nothing more than a tool/slave used by the prison.

Overall, I really liked this episode too. Didn't like the guy at first, but he turned out quite different from what I'd thought he'd be.

Only thing that really felt too easy was the way they just got through the whole bank without having any issues, just open a few gates and end up where you're supposed to end. They could have easily added a few things like the "bomb" that allowed them to go through the floor, would have made the whole thing mode believable.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Thought Time Heist was pretty poor, I was expecting so much better. Complete fluff episode, endless outrageous ways out of situations, no emotional connection to anything or anyone and a premise so lacking I almost switched it off.
    So far, I think this series has been completely overstuffed with unlikable characters. I feel like every episode there is no one new to root for or to even find interesting. Its really odd because last season was full of interesting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Was the "monster" ever monstrous ? IIRC, the very first time we see it they clearly say he's being controlled forcefully. I never saw it as a "monster" but as nothing more than a tool/slave used by the prison.
    it was even in a straight jacket :P
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

"Caretaker" should be entertaining. It's going to be hard to top the Tenth Doctor's visit to the school with Sarah Jane and the bat creatures; that was such a great episode. Capaldi is definitely a different flavor, though. I wonder if the Doctor and Danny Pink are going to feud or get along; I assume it might be trying to one-up each other like the Robin Hood episode. I hope that the Doctor doesn't spend too much time trying to win over Clara somehow.

I'm a bit worried about that too, with Capaldi's remark of "Robbing a bank, top that on a date" at the end of this last episode. There should be no competition between Danny and The Doctor, Danny should just win because the Doctor shouldn't give a damn. He didn't even recognize why Clara was in heels or had makeup on.

I thought the guy's name was "Cy" as in short for "Cyborg." Was it actually listed as Psy/Psi in the credits? Because the "Psi-" prefix to me indicates some sort of telepathy or enhanced mental powers, and while the latter may have been true for the character, it was due to machinery, not inherent supernatural-ness.

Lastly, the episode seems a bit jarring merely because its separation from this overarching storyline of Heaven and Missy. I thought for sure Cy and Seibre would end up in Heaven with Missy, especially when the Doctor handed over the "self-destruct" thing to Seibre, which would have been confirmation (to me) that the Doctor killed half-face and that that was the prerequisite for entering Heaven, as Seibre didn't really sacrifice herself for the Doctor in any way since the mission was entirely altruistic for the Doctor with nothing really at stake for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'm a bit worried about that too, with Capaldi's remark of "Robbing a bank, top that on a date" at the end of this last episode. There should be no competition between Danny and The Doctor, Danny should just win because the Doctor shouldn't give a damn. He didn't even recognize why Clara was in heels or had makeup on.
    I got the impression they're going for more of a thing where he's competing for attention more so than affection.

Like, it's not a romantic thing nor does he have any of those kind of feelings for Clara, but he sort of feels like Danny is taking up too much of her time and he wants to have his companion available for whatever adventure he likes whenever he likes, and doesn't like being told "No, I'm going out with Danny tonight!"

But it literally does not matter when he can return her to the exact moment she left. That's why it's not compelling. At least Matt Smith occasionally screwed up and returned Amy a few weeks late for her wedding.

The only limit on it is how long Clara can stay up in a day, but considering the Doctor leaves her alone for weeks at a time it seems....IDK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    But it literally does not matter when he can return her to the exact moment she left. That's why it's not compelling. At least Matt Smith occasionally screwed up and returned Amy a few weeks late for her wedding.

The only limit on it is how long Clara can stay up in a day, but considering the Doctor leaves her alone for weeks at a time it seems....IDK.
    I expect it's more of a psychological thing then an actual time thing. The Doctor knows that Clara is off to spend time with someone else, that she'd rather have dinner with Danny than go on an adventure with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Fuck yeah. I would be MORE than happy with 12 episodes a season if we got 6 two-parters with freaking EPIC, well developed stories.
    That's really the kicker, isn't it? I'd love multi-part stories as well, but given the inconsistency of them in the past, I'm kind of happy that they've been sticking to single episodes lately. Most of the time I feel like the two-parters are just a single episode premise stretched out to be twice as long, where the writers don't take advantage of the added runtime and instead just pad it out and slow down the pacing.

Funnily enough I think Moffat is perhaps the best writer on the show at doing two-parters, and his writing suffers the most when he crams too many of his ideas into single episodes without giving them room to breathe. It's a shame he's written so few of them since taking over.

"It’s time to take a look at how you voted in our Listen themed polls last week. First of all we asked you to give the episode a score out of 10:
    What would you rate Listen out of 10? (Poll Closed)
    10/10 - A dream! 48.61%

9/10 - Great 27.28%

8/10 - Very good 11.83%

7/10 - Good 4.86%

5/10 - Average 2.22%

6/10 - Above average 1.85%

4/10 - Below average 1.18%

3/10 - Poor 0.96%

1/10 - A nightmare! 0.72%

2/10 - Very Poor 0.47%

As you can see this was easily the highest rated episode of the series with almost half of the voters giving full marks. The episode has now topped Deep Breath to become the highest ranking of Series 8 with an averaged score of 8.918.

So far the full 2014 placings are:

Listen – 8.918
    Deep Breath – 8.282
    Into the Dalek – 8.052
    Robot of Sherwood – 7.512

How will Time Heist fare? We will find out next week.

A Monster or Not?

Secondly, we asked you to vote on whether there was a monster in the episode or not, and 61.66% decided that yes was indeed.
    Was there a Monster in Listen or not? (Poll Closed)
    Yes! 61.66%

No! 38.34%

Blink vs Listen Face-Off

Finally, in our Face-Off we pitted the episode against Blink. This was a closer poll than many may have assumed with an early tie in voting, but in the end Blink takes home the prize once again with a 57.55% share.
    Blink vs Listen (Poll Closed)

Blink 57.55%

Listen 42.45%"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/your-ve...king-66990.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    That's really the kicker, isn't it? I'd love multi-part stories as well, but given the inconsistency of them in the past, I'm kind of happy that they've been sticking to single episodes lately. Most of the time I feel like the two-parters are just a single episode premise stretched out to be twice as long, where the writers don't take advantage of the added runtime and instead just pad it out and slow down the pacing.

Funnily enough I think Moffat is perhaps the best writer on the show at doing two-parters, and his writing suffers the most when he crams too many of his ideas into single episodes without giving them room to breathe. It's a shame he's written so few of them since taking over.
    He's written 4 out of 6, and by the end of this season, 5 out of 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Listen – 8.918
    Deep Breath – 8.282
    Into the Dalek – 8.052
    Robot of Sherwood – 7.512
    Yeah that's about what i would rate them, would rate time heist just below into the dalek for me.

So my first Doctor is Christopher Eccleston. I am itching for more Doctor Who and i've been thinking about checking the early doctors, as early as availability allows. Are the early seasons fun to watch on this day n age? Is what am seeing today just a repetition of early seasons?
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.