Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Takanami View Post
    Huh, I actually find this view of her pretty interesting. I personally couldn't stand her despite really wanting to like her. I tried to find excuses for her for a while but I never could. I was happy when she was replaced because in the end, no matter what her excuses might be she was slutty and rude quite simply not worthy of Rory.

I mean, here you have a guy that loves her so much that he waits for her for a thousand years and guards, protects and follows her, yet we truly know she would never do the same or even attempt to come close. She would likely go off, do her own thing and come back when the box is done cooking.

I've never felt bad for her myself, and truth be told found myself wishing that they would kill her off. (Though I must confess I think Karen Gillan is quite the good actress.]

So many times I told my X that Rory deserved better, but she would argue with me saying things like, "Who cares if she wants to sleep with the doctor, she loves Rory", and "Rory is just a sissy, he needs to get over it." (Of course the X was way sluttier than Amy could have ever been- hence the X- but that's a story for another time.)

I think the reason I didn't like her is because the girl I was with while Amy was the companion was so much like her and I guess I was like Rory. I loved her far more than she could have ever returned to me and that made me feel sorry for Rory because Amy was the same way - despite Moffats attempt to make her the human aspect she turned out to be a broken thing that really couldn't grasp at the heart of humanity. She quite simply didn't understand it.
    Exact same thing with me....sans having a girl while watching it. I've been single for 8 years cause the only women I meet are like Amy.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Exact same thing with me....sans having a girl while watching it. I've been single for 8 years cause the only women I meet are like Amy.
    A lot of them are. I can't say I've been single though, I just kind of go through them. Some are sweet though so don't put a bad stamp on them all. Lately I have been single just because it is so darn enjoyable. I mean, I've got a good enough job to where I can buy anything I want to.. and being single makes that all the better... I mean, I just bought a new tv, ps4, some games and chrome wheels for my new car... if I had a girl that wouldn't fly. Not to mention I can be stingy with my time. Play my guitar, write and I'm even taking Japanese lessons. I am really just enjoying me (and MY money).

But for serious, not all women are like that. Some of my greatest friends are women and while they may be quirky and a bit crazy I love em to death and sometimes wish I hadn't friend zoned a few, and now its a little too late. Ah well. Hakuna matata ya know. If someone awesome shows up don't turn her away because of bad experience. Think about it, just because you don't like a paladin doesn't mean you wont love a rogue.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

A lot of them are. I can't say I've been single though, I just kind of go through them. Some are sweet though so don't put a bad stamp on them all. Lately I have been single just because it is so darn enjoyable. I mean, I've got a good enough job to where I can buy anything I want to.. and being single makes that all the better... I mean, I just bought a new tv, ps4, some games and chrome wheels for my new car... if I had a girl that wouldn't fly. Not to mention I can be stingy with my time. Play my guitar, write and I'm even taking Japanese lessons. I am really just enjoying me (and MY money).

But for serious, not all women are like that. Some of my greatest friends are women and while they may be quirky and a bit crazy I love em to death and sometimes wish I hadn't friend zoned a few, and now its a little too late. Ah well. Hakuna matata ya know. If someone awesome shows up don't turn her away because of bad experience. Think about it, just because you don't like a paladin doesn't mean you wont love a rogue.
    I've never met a good one. in 28 years I have never seen 1 women who didnt lie, use, and cheat on men. Which sucks for my case, I don't enjoy being alone. I'd rather have someone to spend my time with....but anyways. this is derailing the thread.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Huh, I actually find this view of her pretty interesting. I personally couldn't stand her despite really wanting to like her. I tried to find excuses for her for a while but I never could. I was happy when she was replaced because in the end, no matter what her excuses might be she was slutty and rude quite simply not worthy of Rory.

I mean, here you have a guy that loves her so much that he waits for her for a thousand years and guards, protects and follows her, yet we truly know she would never do the same or even attempt to come close. She would likely go off, do her own thing and come back when the box is done cooking.

I've never felt bad for her myself, and truth be told found myself wishing that they would kill her off. (Though I must confess I think Karen Gillan is quite the good actress.]

So many times I told my X that Rory deserved better, but she would argue with me saying things like, "Who cares if she wants to sleep with the doctor, she loves Rory", and "Rory is just a sissy, he needs to get over it." (Of course the X was way sluttier than Amy could have ever been- hence the X- but that's a story for another time.)

I think the reason I didn't like her is because the girl I was with while Amy was the companion was so much like her and I guess I was like Rory. I loved her far more than she could have ever returned to me and that made me feel sorry for Rory because Amy was the same way - despite Moffats attempt to make her the human aspect she turned out to be a broken thing that really couldn't grasp at the heart of humanity. She quite simply didn't understand it.
    I actually liked Amy, much better than Clara. Was she slutty? Maybe, but she did develop slowly and ended up in a very serious relationship with Rory. If you take her at face value from the first season that she is in, I would agree with you, but she slowly changed and grew.

And nothing is wrong being a little slutty, and Rory was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Wouldn't that make her a great character? Because she is like an actual girl, and not horrible written.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I actually liked Amy, much better than Clara. Was she slutty? Maybe, but she did develop slowly and ended up in a very serious relationship with Rory. If you take her at face value from the first season that she is in, I would agree with you, but she slowly changed and grew.

And nothing is wrong being a little slutty, and Rory was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't that make her a great character? Because she is like an actual girl, and not horrible written.
    She did get a little better, but not so much that I personally ever liked her, which is okay. I do think she was horribly written though.

Now, I actually like Clara. There are things I dislike about her, such as the way she was lying to Danny, but I'll be honest, I love when she talks fast, I like the whole jumping in his timeline to save the Doctor mess and quite frankly I find her super attractive.... Though there is certainly an argument for Clara that the writers don't actually know who she is.

But to be quite frank, now after looking at things in this manner I really think Steven Moffat has a problem with his view of women. First he gives us a slutty redhead then he gives us a lying brunette. Seriously, not all woman are lying cheaters. Plus, I really don't like the way he writes. He can be really good on the build up but then the finale... well, he just doesn't seem to know how to deliver. In my opinion we need more episodes written by Neil Gaiman. I know I know, that is pretty much impossible. I count my lucky stars that we ever got The Doctors Wife I mean.. an episode of my favorite show written by my favorite writer... What are the chances? Never mind that it was my least favorite Doctor (Though Matt Smith was pretty good non the less) and my least favorite companion, that is by far my favorite episode.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

15+ Year Old Account
    She did get a little better, but not so much that I personally ever liked her, which is okay. I do think she was horribly written though.

Now, I actually like Clara. There are things I dislike about her, such as the way she was lying to Danny, but I'll be honest, I love when she talks fast, I like the whole jumping in his timeline to save the Doctor mess and quite frankly I find her super attractive.... Though there is certainly an argument for Clara that the writers don't actually know who she is.

But to be quite frank, now after looking at things in this manner I really think Steven Moffat has a problem with his view of women. First he gives us a slutty redhead then he gives us a lying brunette. Seriously, not all woman are lying cheaters. Plus, I really don't like the way he writes. He can be really good on the build up but then the finale... well, he just doesn't seem to know how to deliver. In my opinion we need more episodes written by Neil Gaiman. I know I know, that is pretty much impossible. I count my lucky stars that we ever got The Doctors Wife I mean.. an episode of my favorite show written by my favorite writer... What are the chances? Never mind that it was my least favorite Doctor (Though Matt Smith was pretty good non the less) and my least favorite companion, that is by far my favorite episode.
    She is attractive, that does not make her good though.

The minor characters I feel like he gets, the major ones though? Eh....His climaxes are pretty horrible. I still want to see a main male companion though, one that is not just there because there is a female there. We really have not had any, unless you count Jack, but he would have not made friends with the Doctor with out Rose...so he is out too.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Well, Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, and even Donna were very "good" as companions went. Rose was pretty clear with Mickey once things happened with the Doctor, Martha was slavishly devoted to him, and Donna treated him like an annoying little brother. I guess we needed to break from form with Amy?

P.S. There are lots of great women in the world. They all get married by 25-28 though.

- - - Updated - - -

series 9 of doctor who will film a bit in spain
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, and even Donna were very "good" as companions went. Rose was pretty clear with Mickey once things happened with the Doctor, Martha was slavishly devoted to him, and Donna treated him like an annoying little brother. I guess we needed to break from form with Amy?

P.S. There are lots of great women in the world. They all get married by 25-28 though.
    I actually place Martha as the absolute worst companion ever. She had no depth, no acting ability and was so boringly in love with the Doctor adding a slice of cringe onto the craptastic pie.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I actually place Martha as the absolute worst companion ever. She had no depth, no acting ability and was so boringly in love with the Doctor adding a slice of cringe onto the craptastic pie.
    One of the only things I liked about Martha is that she actually had a talent, was an actual doctor. Most companions on doctor who have none what so ever.

I agree that Martha was one dimensional. I think they should have added in the Mickey love interest much earlier. It would have been really interesting for a companion to fall in love with the the ex boyfriend of a former companion who was also in love with the Doctor.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I agree that Martha was one dimensional. I think they should have added in the Mickey love interest much earlier. It would have been really interesting for a companion to fall in love with the the ex boyfriend of a former companion who was also in love with the Doctor.
    They tried to give Martha another love interest in between. It was a guy that she worked with during the year that never was. She ended up contacting him and (eventually) got engaged, but that fell apart because he wasn't the same person he was (he got reverted to before that year happened, she wasn't).

"Writer Neil Gaiman has spoken about the mixed reception to his second episode for Doctor Who, 2013’s Nightmare in Silver.

He told the Radio Times: “Nightmare in Silver is some people’s favourite but everybody, including me, thinks, ‘oh if we had another week, we could’ve changed this,’ and then you’re kind of stuck with it. I think there are things that could’ve been better, but I also think that the thing I wanted to do in Nightmare in Silver I did: to show people that Matt Smith could act.”

He adds: “It was one of those things that fascinated me watching Matt, getting to know Matt a little bit: it was sensible people who should’ve known better assuming that the Eleventh Doctor was just Matt Smith, and I’m going, ‘No, that’s a part that he’s playing,’ and he’s an incredible, fantastic actor, who is, as the Doctor, capable of this enormous range, and yet there’ s a lot of stuff he’s not doing. So I thought, ‘wouldn’t it be amazing to have him go up against himself?’ Which is something that even though is a staple of sci-fi drama, is not something that’s ever happened in Doctor Who. Even people who don’t like bits of Nightmare in Silver love the ‘Matt Smith as Mr Clever’ stuff.”

Gaiman also says that he was surprised by the hugely positive reaction to his first episode, The Doctor’s Wife: “I think in a lifetime of writing things that people have liked, I’ve never done something quite so beloved as The Doctor’s Wife.

“It’s funny now talking to Steven [Moffat] about it, because none of us knew it was going to be this beloved thing. I think Steven was dead-worried it was going to be too odd for Doctor Who in a way… There were all these mis-steps we could’ve done just because there hadn’t been anything like it. But the only thing we were certain of was that, for it to work, it had to be the only time [the TARDIS coming to life] ever happened. You couldn’t repeat it. And I think there is something in that that kind of powers it.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/neil-ga...tion-71108.htm

- - - Updated - - -

TORCHWOOD IS BACK BAY BAY @_@

John Barrowman has revealed that Torchwood will be revived in the form of several BBC radio plays, and he hints at the possibility of a new TV series.

Speaking at said at the Television Critics Association tour [via], he said: “I do know that we’re doing three or four radio plays for the BBC for Torchwood. My sister and I are discussing the possibility of writing one of them and whether or not that leads to something [on TV]…

He adds: “I’m full-time with ‘Arrow’ now. It’s not a question of me not wanting to do it, it’s a question of the BBC wanting to do it or others wanting to do Torchwood. I know the fans are out there so I think they’d be silly not to. [The Arrow producers have] always said, ‘If you need to go and do a special, we’ll let you go do it.”

Barrowman said there will be three or four radio plays, though they haven’t started recording them yet. One will feature the whole Torchwood team, the others will be “character-based.”

He said executive producer Julie Gardner and head writer Russell T. Davies are both involved: “It’s the team back together.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/barrowman-reveals-new-torchwood-plans-71150.htm

- - - Updated - - -

TWO PARTERS RETURNING FOR SERIES 9 HOORAY

"Filming has begun in Cardiff for series 9 of Doctor Who and includes a star-studded guest cast. The new series will be back on BBC One in Autumn 2015.

The episodes currently being filmed are written by Toby Whithouse (The Game, Being Human), produced by Derek Ritchie and directed by Daniel O’Hara (Silent Witness 2015, The Game, Being Human).

Steven Moffat, lead writer and Executive Producer, said, “An amazing guest cast for a brilliantly creepy two-parter by Toby Whithouse. Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman are back in Cardiff, back in the box, and back in action – for one of our scariest adventures yet!”

On set filming for the new series, Peter Capaldi added, “The adventures begin again for myself and Jenna and I’m delighted to be back filming my second series of Doctor Who.”

Paul Kaye who played Thoros of Myr in the third series of Game of Thrones joins the Doctor Who cast for the two-part episode. A comedian and actor, Paul is also well-known for being the voice of Vincent the fox on the puppet-based BBC comedy Mongrels.

Commenting on his role, Paul Kaye, said, “As a kid of the 1970s, the two shows you always watched were Top of the Pops and Doctor Who, they were unmissable. I actually wrote a song called ‘Looking for Davros’ in my first punk band and I sang it like a demented Dalek. I got to present TOTP back in the mid ‘90’s and landing this role in Doctor Who completes the dream double.

“Peter is a perfect Doctor and I’m loving every minute of the experience, even the five hours in make-up. What a treat, best 50th birthday present ever!”

Also starring in the episodes will be Morven Christie who recently played the role of Amanda in the crime drama Grantchester and featured in Death in Paradise (2014) and Twenty Twelve.

Arsher Ali who played the part of Malik Suri in the critically acclaimed The Missing (BBC One) takes up a role in the guest cast alongside Colin McFarlane who appeared in EastEnders as part of the Who Killed Lucy Beale? storyline.

Recognised for her theatre and TV performances, actress Sophie Stone appears in the show for the first time. Sophie was the lead actress in the play Woman of Flowers and has appeared in Midsummer Murders and Casualty.

Also joining Peter Capaldi (the Doctor) and Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald) and confirmed for roles in the double episode are Zaqi Ismail, Steven Robertson and Neil Fingleton.

Further guest cast for series 9 will be released over the coming months. Doctor Who is a BBC Cymru Wales production for BBC One."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/toby-whithouse-two-parter-confirmed-for-series-9-71155.htm
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Toby Whithouse? Well, I did like A Town Called Mercy, and The God Complex was interesting, so I'm intrigued to see what he'll do. Is Jamie Mathieson confirmed for season 9?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Toby Whithouse, Being Human was amazing, I'd love to see what he can do with the slightly darker tone of Capaldi's Doctor. I mean he gave us one of the Darker episodes of Matt Smith's run so... yeah .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Here is a cool Radio Times article about what we know so far for Series 9:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...eries-9-so-far

I found the confirmation of Missy / the Master's return most exciting! Two episodes was not enough for the full impact.

Speaking to Doctor Who Magazine, Gomez herself confirmed that she will be back: "Yes. Yes is my answer. I’ll be back."

While Moffat himself told Radio Times last year: "I've already asked her to come back… I can't imagine anyone who's ever watched this genre being convinced [the Master's] dead. The Master is never dead, no matter what happens to him or her. She's entirely unzappable!"

10+ Year Old Account
    David tennant got special recognition at the national tv awards the other night, they played some doctor who clips like the rose/ 10th i love you scene :S

"Steven Moffat has given a little update on Doctor Who Series 9, non-spoilery (naturally).

Speaking to the Radio Times earlier this week he said: “We’re filming our first two-parter at the moment, which is in fact going to be episodes three and four of the new series. A brilliant script by Toby Whithouse.”

He reveals that next up to begin filming will be two stories written by himself: “Then we’re about to move on to a couple of scripts I’ve written.” It seems likely The Magician’s Apprentice will be one of them.

Following those: “We’ve got some other stuff lined up from other writers – some new, some old, some middle-aged.”

He adds: “It’s a little early to start teasing it too much, but I’m pretty excited. We’ve got some very, very good stuff coming.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...es-9-71450.htm

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    "Steven Moffat has given a little update on Doctor Who Series 9, non-spoilery (naturally).

Speaking to the Radio Times earlier this week he said: “We’re filming our first two-parter at the moment, which is in fact going to be episodes three and four of the new series. A brilliant script by Toby Whithouse.”

He reveals that next up to begin filming will be two stories written by himself: “Then we’re about to move on to a couple of scripts I’ve written.” It seems likely The Magician’s Apprentice will be one of them.

Following those: “We’ve got some other stuff lined up from other writers – some new, some old, some middle-aged.”

He adds: “It’s a little early to start teasing it too much, but I’m pretty excited. We’ve got some very, very good stuff coming.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...es-9-71450.htm
    Is he talking about the writes ages or the dieas that they are writing?

I need me some Doctor Who now!