Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    I heard Tom Cruise was approached to play the Doctor, but he insisted he fly the TARDIS himself. The BBC insurance team refused saying it would cost too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I heard Tom Cruise was approached to play the Doctor, but he insisted he fly the TARDIS himself. The BBC insurance team refused saying it would cost too much.
    Not as bad as if they let Richard Hammond drive XD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    This sums up my feelings on this casting choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post

Jadzia Dax isn't a doctor. She's a science officer. It would have made more sense if you had posted that meme with Ezri Dax in the picture.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Jadzia Dax isn't a doctor. She's a science officer. It would have made more sense if you had posted that meme with Ezri Dax in the picture.
    Jadzia Dax had degrees in astrophysics, exoarchaeology, exobiology and zoology. Plenty of credentials to be a doctor. But that's all beside the point and you know this.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-07-28 at 03:09 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jadzia Dax had degrees in astrophysics, exoarchaeology, exobiology and zoology. Plenty of credentials to be a doctor. But that's all beside the point and you know this.
    Curzon Dax was better!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

you cant just take a well written female character from scifi and say "well thats what a female doctor would be like"

the doctors going to continue to be the doctor just like all the past 13 doctors/war doctors
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    you cant just take a well written female character from scifi and say "well thats what a female doctor would be like"
    Who has said that? Not me. I'm simply saying that changing the Doctor into a female isn't original. We've seen this kind of thing before in science fiction. In fact, it would have been more original to keep the Doctor regenerating into British men.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Curzon Dax was better!
    If Star Trek ever did do a prequel, I'd love to see Kurzon or any other Dax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who has said that? Not me. I'm simply saying that changing the Doctor into a female isn't original.
    A character who happens to be a doctor isn't in any respect the same thing as the specific character named The Doctor. You're deliberately missing the point for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

the doctors going to continue to be the doctor just like all the past 13 doctors/war doctors
    Is she really a female? What gender is the symbiont? When a Trill takes a symbiont do they combine the two genders?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A character who happens to be a doctor isn't in any respect the same thing as the specific character named The Doctor. You're deliberately missing the point for some reason.
    No, you're deliberately missing the point. Yet again.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you're deliberately missing the point. Yet again.
    What "point"?

The point here is that this one character, The Doctor by name, is going to be a woman for the first time.

You responded with "but there have been other women doctors before, unoriginal." That misses the point, and is a deliberate attempt to derail.

10+ Year Old Account
    What "point"?
    Here it is again...

10+ Year Old Account
    Here it is again...
    Yes. That's exactly what I paraphrased.

You are confusing The Doctor, a single character, with any doctor character ever, and that's just completely wrong at a fundamental level.

It's like criticizing Matt Smith for not being "real" because he's not literally a blacksmith.

Deleted
    no you miss the point that the gender swap in sci fi is nothing new and THAT is the point.

But go on ignoring how UNORIGINAL it is to turn the doctor female now after masses of screams at the bbc to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    no you miss the point that the gender swap in sci fi is nothing new and THAT is the point.
    And literally nobody made that argument. Which is the point you all are missing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are confusing The Doctor, a single character, with any doctor character ever, and that's just completely wrong at a fundamental level.
    Nooo... I'm simply saying that a sci-fi character that changes from male to female has already been done. It's not original. It wouldn't matter if Dax was a medical doctor or even a frequent time traveler. A sci-fi character who changes gender is old news. It would have been more original to keep the Doctor from Doctor Who a perpetually British male.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nooo... I'm simply saying that a sci-fi character that changes from male to female has already been done. It's not original. It wouldn't matter if Dax was a medical doctor or even a frequent time traveler. A sci-fi character who changes gender is old news. It would have been more original to keep the Doctor from Doctor Who a perpetually British male.
    Again, literally nobody was making the argument you're contradicting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Exactly. The concept seems to have escaped some people here.

- - - Updated - - -

So you agree with the Dax graphic? Cool! That's the only point I was making.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let me quote him for you:

Then there's an image that sums up the bold part. It has text in it:
    At the top: "So.. the new doctor is a woman."
    At the bottom: "Welcome to two decades ago, BBC"
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side