Boomkin rotation questions

Just a couple of quick questions:

Firstly - Some people say that DoTS should be applied as the first spells in the rotation, however, Ive heard that you get more DPS if you apply them after you get into your first eclipse. Which would be better?

Secondly - Another forum showed a video (I cant link it due to member restriction, but if you enter "Intent - Blackwing Descent Atramedes Normal 25 - Moonkin View" into youtube it should come up) as demonstrating a well executed Boomkin rotation. The only thing I dont understand is why the Boomkin in this video casts one more Wrath/Starfire after theyve already gotten to 100 energy. Is there a reason for this?

Appreciate any answers - thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    1. One of the main purposes behind our DoTs, apart from damage, is to proc Nature's Grace so if you start your rotation off without DoTs youd be starting your rotation without the haste buff. Even if you have more chance of clipping starting from 0 power, the haste is rather important to proper dps
    2. At times Eclipse is very laggy and stubborn on activation. I at times have tried casting DoTs right after I hit an eclipse only to start my nuking without Nature's Grace or with Moonfire when it should be Sunfire. The extra nuke at the end may be just to ensure that Eclipse, with all its sexy proc activations, is counted as ready when you start the next part of your rotation

Like that guy above me said, DOTs apply a haste buff. Unless you are one or two casts away from triggering Eclipse when the fight starts, I would do DOTs first.

Second, the guy above me is also correct. I'd just like to add that it is a good idea to cast one spell that your eclipse will buff before re-applying dots. This is because if you anticipate the Eclipse, you can cast one dot before eclipse actually triggers, and the next after, triggering Nature's Grace. BUT if you cast one extra spell, the opposite from before Eclipse, then you trigger Nature's Grace with the first DOT, and the second gains your haste buff. Preferably, the second cast should be Moon/Sunfire.

Edit, for clarification: Only wait to cast DOTs at the beginning of the fight if you are one or two casts from triggering Eclipse.

When anticipating an Eclipse, if you time it correctly, you should cast (as an example) Starfire until you trigger Eclipse. After the last cast that will trigger it, switch to Wrath once, then reapply DOTs, in order to gain Nature's Grace on the second DOT, which should be Moon/Sunfire.
    Last edited by Iseewhatyoudidthar; 2010-12-26 at 08:47 AM.
    Hakuna matata.

Thanks for the responses, gave me just what I needed!

Deleted
    Hey, just adding a few things here.

Rule of thumb: Always cast a spell, always!

One thing that will cause you to cast an extra spell at times when closing in on eclipses is the talent Euphoria (24% to gain double amount of lunar/solar energy)

And as above poster said, Eclipse triggers when the spells hit the target, therefor DoT's can be tricky if you want to refresh them right as you get a new eclipse, cast one of either Wrath/Starfire first to make sure your DoT gets affected by Eclipse!

Another thing to try to think about in the rotation when refreshing DoT's is which to refresh first if both comes up at the same time, in Solar Eclipse you want to do Sunfire -> IS for IS to gain the Nature's Grace buff, same logic applies for Lunar Eclipse, but there you want to to IS -> Moonfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Chollx View Post
    Another thing to try to think about in the rotation when refreshing DoT's is which to refresh first if both comes up at the same time, in Solar Eclipse you want to do Sunfire -> IS for IS to gain the Nature's Grace buff, same logic applies for Lunar Eclipse, but there you want to to IS -> Moonfire.
    I'm just getting back into playing and I've yet to even reach 85, so excuse me if my questions are stupid:

Is this assuming a certain glyph set up? If you were to have both IS and MF glyphs, is the priority going to be IS -> MF/SF no matter which eclipse or is IS that powerful? I'm sure I won't have enough haste in the beginning for the MF glyph, but further down the road when I can afford it, is there a line of demarcation?

My guild expects big things from me, so I want to hit the ground running when I start raiding again with them.